PDA

View Full Version : tire chains

bcbugger
11-29-2011, 11:05 AM
just picked up some new chains...was wondering how much pressure people are running their tires at with them on?? :confused0006:

youngun
11-29-2011, 11:06 AM
not sure about a truck but on my tractor we let a lot of air out, put them on tight then air the tire back up to keep em nice and tight on there

Chopstick
11-29-2011, 11:38 AM
I air down to 15psi with my 35' tires on a trail but on road I air down 10psi when running chains on my car

Ry' & Jen
12-07-2011, 07:16 AM
Here's a question for those of you that use chains...
Our Heep has 31" tires fitted and we'd like to get two pair of chains for it.
But we want to go up to 32" tires next time it's time to buy new tires.
Do tire chains have enough room/space available in their design to accommodate a 31-32" tall tire or are we looking at having to replace chains when we go to a 32" tall tire?:dontknow:

crimsen
12-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Depends on what chains you buy and their size and the sizes of your tires. Doing a quick google search and looking at the first hit lists a companies tire chain sizes and what size tires they will fit.

Link for verification. http://www.tirechain.com/TRUCK-SUV-CHAINS.HTM

Best bet is to look at the chains you buy and see if they will fit both tires you plan on running. Generally its a big chart on the outside that says what is compatible.

crazybushcreature
12-07-2011, 12:29 PM
I think it very's on what brand/type of chain your buying

Ry' & Jen
12-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Thanks gentlemen!
I have some homework and research to do regarding this stuff.
At the end of the day we'll probably end up buying a couple of pairs of chains when we switch to 32's.
What's the general consensus on making your own tire chains?
I'm a pretty good fabricator when it comes to designing and making my own shit.
I've got a 220 volt arc welder and a new mig that Jen bought...
Maybe I'll buy enough chain to fuck around and make one single tire chain and see if I'm retarded enough to pull it off!

youngun
12-07-2011, 09:08 PM
I cut down skidder chains for the tires on my tractor. They work awesome and have not gave me any problems. Plus is they will also fit a 44" bogger :eek:

harvester_sorrow
12-07-2011, 10:04 PM
cutting down old semi ones work good, then you could always add links later for bigger tires.