PDA

View Full Version : Duramax 6.6 oil pressure?

godtool
11-21-2011, 10:19 PM
I have a 2003 Chev duramax 6.6 and the computer has been saying low oil pressure at times and guage reading low too. Just over 300,000 kms on it. Thought I'd attach a mechanical pressure guage to block. Anyone know of a spot to attach it? Heard somewhere near oil filter...

85chevy
11-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Did u check the oil?:dontknow:

godtool
11-23-2011, 09:20 AM
I know I need to change trhe oil but its always been low on pressure guage . I dont know yet. Had lots of oil but I'll check again lol.

godtool
12-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Changed oil, and as it starts gushes out the drain pan is filling way way too much. Figured 16-18 liters came out. My mechanic buddy said leaking injectors or not changing oil regularly. A few weeks ago another mechanic buddy of mine hooked his "snap on" computer to my truck since it was not shifting properly at 80 km/h. He found about 6 error codes and reset them. I came back three days later and 2-3 error codes had came back, specifically ones dealing with fuel and injectors. So now with new oil in truck for past three days oil pressure has never been better lol. I guess that oil & diesel mixture did a nice cleaning. My truck also belches smoke when you punch it and you can tell when its idling, say when unloading firewood from the box it is running really rich. So I guess its time to replace injectors? Someone also mentioned if the diesel delivery system is electrical or mechanical, diesel pressure could be staying on after ignition is turned off causing fuel to leak through injectors, or say mechanical and something is leaking past pump into crankcase. This all baffles me so I guess time to take it to a garage or are injectors something a backyard mechanic guy do himself. Feels like too many thingsa to check what it could be for me to figure out....

godtool
12-12-2011, 09:14 AM
Oh yah, my truck is a 2003 Chev Silverado with 6.6 duramax if anyone has had similar problems.

85chevy
12-12-2011, 04:31 PM
This is probably ur problem

RPO (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_Production_Option) LB7 (engine code "1") was first introduced in 2001 and continued until mid 2004. It is a 32-valve design with high-pressure common-rail (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_rail) direct injection (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_fuel_injection) and a experimental composite design cylinder head. The most problematic issue with the LB7 is injector failure. Fuel leaked and entered the crankcase, causing oil dilution. Early on customers came forward complaining of severe overheating, and also in some situations blown head gaskets. Initially GM denied it was a problem, but after being sued by a consumer group, GM relented and included overheating and blown head gaskets as a warranted item. GM issued a warranty for this after the fact for injectors, which now have 7 year/200,000 mile coverage.

godtool
12-13-2011, 07:02 AM
Thanks!

godtool
12-30-2011, 11:07 AM
My Mechanic I called in early Dec finally called me back today. He said he is 99% certain my fuel injector pump is the culpurt. He said if the injectors were leaking I would be having a ;ot more serious problems. So on the phone he qouted me $1100 for injector pump and $500-600 labour to change it. I asked if I could do it and he said if I made mistake I could cause problems entailing engine to have to be pulled apart. $$$ is a wee tight since Christmas so anyone know if these qoutes are reasonable? He said new injector pump would come from Diesel Shop in Kamloops. I was going to ask if Lordco could get it yet did not ask lol.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and have a happy new year!

tchevy
12-30-2011, 01:01 PM
i work for gm so take this for what it is....

if you truck is not running proper, it could be an injection pump. (CP3)
but if u are getting overfilling of the crankcase then its your injectors, the injector bodys crack and leak raw diesel into the crankcase. i have the same year dmax as u as well. at 300 for stock injectors you did well. if your mechanic is replacing your cp3 for a overfilling of crankcase problem, you should have someone else looking at it no offence. its not cheap, and all injectors avalible for this truck are reman, but watch out, no all injectors are remanned the same....[cheers]

it wont be cheap, but it is the fix.. good luck[cheers]

85chevy
12-30-2011, 02:35 PM
Go right ahead and change it but pretty sure its not the CP3 pump.

godtool
12-31-2011, 08:57 AM
Yah lots of $$ to spend. I'll have another Mechanic check it out. Plus buddy gave me number at GM in Houston?? that is a disesel service manager guru so I'll call him too. The other guy who is 99% sure did say he would need to check my vin and some other numbers, yet everone including yourself are pointing at leaky injectors... Thanks.

godtool
12-31-2011, 09:02 AM
The mechanic that thinks its an injector pump hooked his snap on computer to my truck. If he hooks it up again would you suggest any codes that may help?? CP3 is not a code I expect. My injectors look easy to change on my old tractor but a 03 6.6 may be more complicated??

85chevy
12-31-2011, 10:20 AM
There is no actual test to check the pump because the tool crib guy at school had his go and the only way to check it was to go through a list of stuff with yes and no answers and in the end it pointed to the pump but if ur truck is running its not the pump. The teacher actually was talking to the a guy at valley fuel injection and that was what he said too.

godtool
01-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Just went and seen my mechanic and he said the pump can still fuel the injectors yet can leak past front main seal into engine crankcase. Based o the 16-18 liters of dilluted diesel engine oil I drained out, if the injectors were the cause it would be blowing blue, lots of smoke, etc etc. He will inspect pump and if it looks good go from there. So I got about 2000 kms on new engine oil so going to drain it this weekend and see how much diesel has added to its volume. Should only drain approx. 9.5 liters so I'll keep you all posted. My Mechanic did say he has done one pump in the past and that was the cause of diesel in oil.

tchevy
01-03-2012, 11:50 PM
Just went and seen my mechanic and he said the pump can still fuel the injectors yet can leak past front main seal into engine crankcase. Based o the 16-18 liters of dilluted diesel engine oil I drained out, if the injectors were the cause it would be blowing blue, lots of smoke, etc etc. He will inspect pump and if it looks good go from there. So I got about 2000 kms on new engine oil so going to drain it this weekend and see how much diesel has added to its volume. Should only drain approx. 9.5 liters so I'll keep you all posted. My Mechanic did say he has done one pump in the past and that was the cause of diesel in oil.

just cause iits leaking fuel doesnt mean injectors will make it smoke or blow blue, the injector body cracks and leaks past.

alot can happen at 23000 psi u know

godtool
01-04-2012, 07:26 AM
Yah I guess it could be an injector too, hopefuly just one or two are defective (cracked). At Napa pump is $940 reman and injectors $410 each!! They are intricate looking things!! I guess a good diesel mechanic could figure out which injectors are cracked?? Maybe just one could cause this problem?? My mechanic told me it would not take long to remove front of engine to see if pump is leaking so if thats not it then onto the injectors... I'll phone the diesel service manager at GM HQ still. Thanks for your help. I'll keep you posted.

abec
01-07-2012, 05:54 PM
The pumps are pretty stout on those trucks the injectors suck seen lots of people waste money trying to find something other then injectors. Take the time pull the injectors and have them tested

godtool
01-09-2012, 07:52 AM
I was told if injectors leaked 6+ liters of diesel into my oil they would still be leaking and the truck would be running really rich and puking smoke all the time. My mechanic will check injector pump visually and then go from there. Thanks for your ideas[cheers]

abec
01-09-2012, 11:16 AM
No propblem any time just remember with diesels a bad injector will burn a hole right through a piston if it not taken care of

godtool
02-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Took insurance off truck yesterday. Found out thru gm they sent me recall to my old address in
2009 to replace injectors under warranty (if they failed required tests). So
Guess I'm screwed now eh?? So buddy tells me today if I have Rochester brand injectors I can take them out and clean!? $400 per injector out of my price range right now So I'm thinking buy gm service manual to try fixing replacing injectors or flog truck or part out or trade in
Or keep insurance on it and light it up lol?? Not sure what to
Do. I can't afford even one injector right now. My truck has over 300k Kms yet new Allison
Tranny I have
My old 83 Gmc to use
Yet the crew can is nice and such a powerful truck and good on fuel . In the meantime I'm going to put a really cheap car on rd to drive.

abec
02-12-2012, 10:47 PM
The injectors really arnt hard to replace yeah the pita is price but I remember them beimg 250 an injector from gm and pensicola has them for 190 if your thinkimg of just sellin give me a pm

godtool
02-13-2012, 08:28 AM
Hey thanks!! Is there a manual on-line I can buy or free download to show me how to do it? I'd rather try it myself and see if I can fix it. My ex-wife may buy me out on my house so then I'd have some extra cash to fix the truck...Just waiting for money now.

godtool
02-22-2012, 08:59 AM
Mailing a letter to GM... last week I phoned the GM dealership where I bought my truck and the receptionist told me a recall letter was sent to us in 2009 yet to our address in Chilliwack. Then this past Sunday I was told by a retired service manager that GM and other domestic manufactuers have honoured warranty issues in my instance. So he told me to start by mailing a letter to the dealership where I bought my truck. He simply said to me that if I can convince the service manager that my case is valid and he approves it or gets it approve lol, then it still gets covered by GM Corporate. That way the dealership gets paid and Corporate GM spends a couple pennies to help out a valued Chevrolet enthusiast like me lol. Keep you posted to see what happens...

godtool
04-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Well the letter worked. I sent it to where I bought my truck and the fellow there said it was called a special policy rather a recall. He said he will go 50/50 with me so that means $1800 out of my pocket. So now just waiting to get some money... :)

godtool
05-10-2012, 09:20 AM
So took my truck to GM dealership in Hope and they tested injectors. All good. They then removed valve covers to check fuel lines and all good there too. So now they are stumped why diesel is getting into crankcase. Service Manager "Warren" is driving it around town since I was told by Bud Gardner that it would not leak diesel into crankcase when I drive down highway from 100 Mile House. Bud said idling around town is when faulty injectors leak most into crankcase. However Warren the service manager is saying oil level is staying constant and they are stumped why I was getting diesel into crankcase. So they told me taking my truck to an actual diesel repair shop would not help cause the gm dealership has the computer that tests the gm injectors etc. Anyone here have ideas I can relay to them to see if they can figure it out. Coolant if leaking to engine oil would make oil go milky right?? So looking forward to some ideas!!

85chevy
05-10-2012, 06:16 PM
When u where driving it was it always short trips where it doesn't get up to operating tempatures and a lot of idling?

godtool
05-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Yes, especially in winter and we did a lot of road hunting in the fall and cutting firewood. I always had to have cover over grill to get engine to warm up and yes it was often idling then and lots of short trips, moving truck a to b, pulling a log here or there out of the bush. What you think??

abec
05-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Did they pull the injectors and bench test them or did they just hook up the computer the other thing to do is try sending in a oil sample

godtool
05-14-2012, 02:34 PM
They just hooked up the "GM computer" which gave out numbers which were relayed to a person at GM that gives the go ahead to do the injectors. The numbers were "fine" so they decided that it is not the injectors causing the problem.

godtool
05-14-2012, 03:15 PM
So I just called Hope and I requested they do the computer tests again with the engine cold to see if the numbers fail. They told me with valve covers off and engine running the injectors were not physically leaking from what they could see. I expect they did that test with engine hot so maybe when its cold the computer will pick up some failing injectors?? Other GM service techs are telling me its got to be the injectors and not to rely on the computer tests.

godtool
05-15-2012, 07:09 AM
The service manager is stating over and over again that pulling out the injectors is a waste of time since with the valve covers off and the engine running the mechanic could not see any of the injectors leaking. Yet is it really possible to tell with valve covers off? I assume you could only see top sections of injectors. I have no idea what they would look like under the valve covers. I looked at a new one at the local parts store and I'm thinking part of the injector that fits down into the engine could be concealed from view and may leak downward rather upward??

old codger
05-15-2012, 08:14 AM
The service manager is stating over and over again that pulling out the injectors is a waste of time since with the valve covers off and the engine running the mechanic could not see any of the injectors leaking. Yet is it really possible to tell with valve covers off? I assume you could only see top sections of injectors. I have no idea what they would look like under the valve covers. I looked at a new one at the local parts store and I'm thinking part of the injector that fits down into the engine could be concealed from view and may leak downward rather upward??

It would seems to me that it would be a good IDEA to take your Truck to
another shop for an engine checkover, with that kind of mileage those injectors should have been replaced !. :) :) :)

abec
05-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Yeah they leak past the nozzle usually and coat the cylinder with diesel fuel and when you shut the engine off they slowly drain past the engine rings into the oil as far as i know the only way to test injectors is to pull them out and bench test.

godtool
06-11-2012, 11:53 AM
So got truck back two weeks ago and no more problems. I just decided to go get truck and once I talked face to face to mechanic I found out he DID take out each injector and look at them and test them. He did say return lines were not tight. He said he just pushed on wrench to loosen them. He figured the fitting where return line goes onto injectors may have been weeping slightly. He said pressure in return lines is minimal. So I felt good and paid bill (Approx $700) and two weeks later oil level good. Only shabby thing is engine light came on day after I got home. My local mechanic was moving and his snap on computer was packed. He said if truck is running fine just take it in when you are able so that what Ill do this weeek ;) Thanks for all the help here everyone!!

abec
06-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Good to hear alls good now go buy yourself a code reader for 40 bucks for your truck at pa

godtool
06-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Thanks! Can you tell me which code reader to order?

godtool
06-12-2012, 11:23 AM
I searched "code reader" at PA and this one is $50 bucks off: MaxiScan® MS300 CAN OBDII Code Reader.

Good choice or something else?

abec
06-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Yup that works

godtool
06-14-2012, 06:48 PM

godtool
06-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Buddy had a PA code reader and yesterday we plugged it in. Code P0540 came up. I found some info regarding fuse and two relays to check. I'll try just checking plugs to see if thats the problem. My code reader I guess will be here soon so I can clear the code to see if it works. Any pointers?

abec
06-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Just keep notes of what codes pop up befor erasing them