PDA

View Full Version : Dead short kickin my ass help me!!!!

skyjacker
11-16-2011, 11:21 PM
Ok so I have this 90 f250 I've been building for awile now and I'll I wanna do is drive the thing but it's got a dead short somewhere I ain't very good with wireing I can do pritty well everything else

The truck is a 5L fule injected

So far I've replaced the battery , starter, alternator and solenoid , I've done my best too go over all the wireing and test with a multimeter but I just can't find the problem

Anybody anygood with this kinda stuff and could lend a hand I pay cash or beer if needed:confused:

dirka dave
11-17-2011, 06:17 AM
What is happenning, blowing a fuse ? :dontknow:

On start ? or on run ?

Bit more info.....:confused0006:

skyjacker
11-17-2011, 08:37 AM
No blown fuses battery just dies overnight , I unplugged all the interior and under hood lights to see if that was the problem still dose the same thing

Punk in Drublic
11-17-2011, 08:49 AM
bad ground, fords are wierd.lots of ground straps. where ya at in mission, i dont work today.

dirka dave
11-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Ok. Zo it's a parcidic drain.

I have found some alternators cause it. (rarely)

Best way to test is to put a test light or multimeter in line with the positive batt cable.

If there is a draw it should light up. Then start disconnecting systems until the light goes out.

You can also use a signal flasher for and listen to it when you are working.

85chevy
11-17-2011, 08:57 AM
Was it doing it before u changed the altenator? My Ranger had the same problem turned out to be the voltage regulator was bad.

skyjacker
11-17-2011, 01:04 PM
Yea i tryed the multimeter thing but got pissed off at it I'll try a test light tonight , yea it died b4 I changed the alternator too , I thought I coulda been the voltage reg too but apparently not

jethro bodine
11-17-2011, 01:07 PM
I just had the same problem racked my brain out for days.. found it to be the dimmer coil for the dash lights in the headlight switch. Didn't effect the interior lights or anything but the coil broke and was dangling on to the switch body not enough draw to see but killed the batt overnight

skyjacker
11-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Yea Im gonna check that switch there a know problem with the fords they get to dan hot and melt

4skin
11-17-2011, 07:27 PM
dumm ? but does the battery hold a charge when its not hooked up
buddy hd one do this found out after weeks of fucking with it
and replaceing alt regulator

skyjacker
11-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Yea it dose it's an optima red top just got it for my ranger b4 I fucked it up so I threw it in this truck lol