PDA

View Full Version : 97 Grand Cherokee ltd/orvis project

Bteck
10-21-2011, 08:41 AM
Here are some pictures of my jeep and what it looks like now. I will update you all as I progress. I do like peoples opinions as well this is going to be my first jeep build so to me it is like playing with a model lol I havenít ordered any parts yet Iím going to first make sure all is well and fix anything that is wrong with it first. There is an issue that I have been told of buy the previous owner that the back bearings and seals have to be change so that is first. Motor is in mint condition so that is one thing I donít have to worry about. The reason I chose the grand Cherokee is on comfort plus I have seen that people can set them up to camp in donít need a tent lol yes you got it lazy when we had our Chevy it was a pain to always cart everything out for a night to rip it all down to get going so we are going to try this out. I will tell what my plans are I would like to put a 4Ē1/2 lift in it then maybe some cool rims and 31ís or 35ís for tiers witch ever fits the best to give me good clearance roof rack for my stuff front and back bumper package with winch and a light package I havenít figured everything out of what I want yet but it will all come out at the end to be a cool ride for the bush and street to if we donít totally smash it up lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/Bteck/4X4/jeep1.jpg

here is a side view the guy I bought it from looked ofter it at least

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/Bteck/4X4/jeep2.jpg

the front looks cool but needs a steal bumper and winch lol rocks would do a number on this bumper lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/Bteck/4X4/jeep3.jpg

back bumper needs steal to I think

well there it is what so you guys think?

giggityjeep
10-21-2011, 12:44 PM
where is the Orvis part of this priject.... are you wanting to make it look liek an orvis edition....?

cause I think those are kinda ugly anyhow

or is this one of hte rare driftwood colors.... only ever seen green ones

Bteck
10-21-2011, 01:12 PM
When I had our jeep dealer run the vin# that is what they told me it was but the original owner had it custom ordered with a pearl whit what you see is how it was ordered from factory so no I don't when to make it look like it I'm going to lift it and put kick ass tiers on it for fun in the bush.:)

giggityjeep
10-21-2011, 01:58 PM
the interior will have 2tone green/beige leather, and it will have a V8 which I see it does...

It could be an Orvis, not many white ones around

Bteck
10-21-2011, 02:33 PM
No I was surprised to even on my registration it has the slash Orvis that is why I went to my jeep dealer to find out whatís up but at any rate it has the V8 I was liking for Iím not to concerned about the designation as long as I can get the parts that I need for the lift lol

geezer
10-21-2011, 03:40 PM
I found a cool picture of what I think you might be interested in achieving with your Jeep Cherokee...

geezer
10-21-2011, 03:48 PM
It won't upload, dammit! I just went on Google and found some really cool pics of a lifted Jeep Cherokee Orvis edition in green. Actually it looks wicked! Sorry, I am just not a 'pooter savvy guy.

Bteck
10-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Thank you Geezer do you know what your search words where or the web site address you seen it on that would work to thanks for the interest and your help

geezer
10-21-2011, 07:29 PM
I did a Google search using their 'images' feature and typed in Jeep Orvis and bingo, up came a whole plethora of pictures that could make a starting point for your plans or an addition to what you have in mind.

Newfie
10-21-2011, 08:13 PM
http://cdn.vflyer.com/r1/prodinsts/2/5/3/0/2/3/9/images/5362110_max.jpg
33s

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3342/3601/33354300004_large.jpg
31s i think

With 4.5 inchs of lift you can fit 33s easy.

geezer
10-21-2011, 08:24 PM
THATS' the one I saw on Google!

Bteck
10-22-2011, 10:02 AM
Thank you for the pictures guys that is very appreciated I was doing some searching myself and found these pictures below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/Bteck/4X4/97jeepoios.jpg

This is also a 1997 jeep grand Orvis but it is silver so the guy at my jeep dealer wasn’t telling me a story when he said you could order different colors but only from a chart of 5 different colors other than the green and driftwood. Anyway it is what it is. This jeep in the pic above has the 4.5 lift with 33”s on it looks good to I was wondering if a 4.5 lift would be to high then to add 33”s

this one is cool I like the black

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/Bteck/4X4/jeepovis3.jpg

Same thing lifted 4.5" with 33"s but these 33"s are 12.5 wide I don’t think I like the Idea of the tiers sticking out so far out the sides I would have to search out if I could get big enough fliers if I can get them I haven’t seen any pic’s of my jeep with them. Do any of you guys and gals have a fave place to shop for lift kits and accessories for jeeps in B.C? I usually would order from USA when I was in to mud racing. If I could find everything here in B.C I would much rather that.

muddyWaters
10-23-2011, 11:09 PM
Whats this orvis all about... Ditch the running boards! Ive got 4 inches into my v8 grand and no way i'll fit 33's...

Hellboy
10-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Same thing lifted 4.5" with 33"s but these 33"s are 12.5 wide I donít think I like the Idea of the tiers sticking out so far out the sides I would have to search out if I could get big enough fliers if I can get them I havenít seen any picís of my jeep with them. Do any of you guys and gals have a fave place to shop for lift kits and accessories for jeeps in B.C? I usually would order from USA when I was in to mud racing. If I could find everything here in B.C I would much rather that.

33" x 12.50 is what I run on my jeep with stock fender flares and it doesn't stick out too much. Granted, I have an XJ... Still, I'm sure finding fender flares for your Grand Cherokee won't be too hard. That or just make your own. 4.5" lift would fit 33's fine

B on this board sells Jeep stuff from his shop in ridge

Hellboy
10-23-2011, 11:24 PM
Whats this orvis all about... Ditch the running boards! Ive got 4 inches into my v8 grand and no way i'll fit 33's...

Your grand has a 4 inch lift? Holy crap I thought it was stock! lmao I guess that changes my previous message...

If you chopped your fenders would they fit? :confused0006:

Newfie
10-24-2011, 12:45 AM
I fit 33s on my stock xj:dontknow: tho i did cut the hell out of fenders.
But really it comes down how you set it up. For exp my xj with 2 inch boost and a addaleaf I have 4 inchs of up travel and 6 in the back. with the 33s on I could use 3 inchs of it before the front rubbed and 3 in the back. So the plan was to bump stop it and get the longest shock I could for as much down travel as possible.

Says in your other post 3.5 inchs:dontknow: and the way coils are they brake in and sag to 3 inch :D and even still you could get some coil spacers and bump stop it right and fit 35s with some trimming.

Bteck
10-24-2011, 08:44 AM

To answer your question about the Orvis what it is, is the trim package that jeep put on and in the jeep. I found out from our jeep dealer that whatever jeep could think of it went into this jeep. As for the 33's it all depends on what flavor of lift kit you install on the jeep there is 3 different styles 4" Basic 4" 2-flex kit or you can go with the 4" Long arm each lift it differently and the stops could be different to but they say if you use the long arm kit you can fit 33's no problem. Iím not going to use 33's anyway. As for the running boards yes I agree totally they are not staying Iím going to replace them with body armor.The lift kit I'm going with will be the long arm kit either from Rought Country or BDS Suspension the only thing with BDS is there long arm kit only comes in a 6.5" I don't think I need to go that high :confused0006:

stockwheels
10-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Just buy the big lift cuz in a year u will want it and have to buy anouther lift and wast even more money on a heep

muddyWaters
10-24-2011, 11:00 AM
I fit 33s on my stock xj:dontknow: tho i did cut the hell out of fenders.
But really it comes down how you set it up. For exp my xj with 2 inch boost and a addaleaf I have 4 inchs of up travel and 6 in the back. with the 33s on I could use 3 inchs of it before the front rubbed and 3 in the back. So the plan was to bump stop it and get the longest shock I could for as much down travel as possible.

Says in your other post 3.5 inchs:dontknow: and the way coils are they brake in and sag to 3 inch :D and even still you could get some coil spacers and bump stop it right and fit 35s with some trimming.

Yes it is a 3.5 ''er, but ive also got coil spacers... And it has sagged alot since installed... Gonna try for 33's asap...

Bteck
10-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Just buy the big lift cuz in a year u will want it and have to buy anouther lift and wast even more money on a heep

lol a heep thats good that is what I will name it "Our Heep" lol if I'm to do all that work I would sell it before I bought another lift for that same Jeep. Well can I ask then is there anyone out there that lives in Penticton/Kelowna area that has a Grand that has the 4.5" or 6.5" lift that I can see visual is better than a picture any day that would be a big help in deciding what I want to do.It would be great to to ask questions from a jeep owner. This is my first jeep so I'm limited on all the knowlage you guys have about jeeps.

Bteck
02-15-2012, 10:56 PM
Hello everyone just thought I would give you all an update of my project I have actually finished my jeep I have all kinds of pictures of the build but I will show you the finished product feel free to ask any questions and I will answer them and if you are building your own I may be able to help sorry I didn't post more often but I worked on the jeep a couple of hours here and there when I had time work was busy and didn't have allot of time. But here is a before and after pictures it was an interesting build I had a lot of things I did extra to it like seals bearings gaskets and such just to make it not leak oil redid all the breaks new disks I also taken the quadra trac out and installed a 242 select trac I also got rid of all the CV joints to. I went with a 4Ē Rough Country long arm kit and I modified it to a 6Ē lift I installed Dick Cepek 33Ē Mud Country tires I have taken it out last weekend with a jeep buddy and had a lot of fun with it in the snow but getting stuck got old fast :rolleyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/Bteck/4X4/jeep1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/Bteck/4X4/jeepsmow.jpg

I just mounted the tires on the origanal rims for now I plan on getting steal rims for it.

procircuit
02-16-2012, 01:23 PM
whats different

procircuit
02-16-2012, 01:24 PM
oh i get it, the rough country emblem.. you must be a decal guy... nice work decal guy

Griswold
02-16-2012, 01:30 PM
oh i get it, the rough country emblem.. you must be a decal guy... nice work decal guy

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha[cheers]

Bteck
02-16-2012, 01:51 PM

Ho I see you are an educated guy at least you can recognize a decal when you see it. Canít put anything by you [15]

procircuit
02-16-2012, 03:24 PM
its prenounced DEE - CAL... jeeze, get up on the rough and jump off eh... hoser

64CJ6Willy
02-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Nah it's the gofast bcyeep sticker. All the mod ya need!

Rodnik
02-16-2012, 09:32 PM
[cheers] 64cj6willylover - does your heep have the gofast stickers on it ? My girlfriends tj still has some on it (she didnt get banned ) I could scrape them off and mail them to you if you need some extra donkey power. That is a good lookin cherokee - cant wait to see some pics with FunInBC pinstrpes[ibacon]

64CJ6Willy
02-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Rod, I burnt the computer that cut all those stickers. Cut them for free at that to boot!
Nah you can keep em bud, The FunInBC stripes are way better.

Hellboy
02-16-2012, 09:47 PM
Bcjeep stikers make u go fast? I always pass them when i see them

64CJ6Willy
02-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Bcjeep stikers make u go fast? I always piss on them when i see them
Yeah that's a common instinct.

youngun
02-16-2012, 09:56 PM

:D

Hellboy
02-16-2012, 10:16 PM

Bahahahaha

Rodnik
02-17-2012, 07:43 PM
It all makes sense now "Instink"- the more i drink the more i wanna piss on sheldon Lol

64CJ6Willy
02-18-2012, 01:06 AM
It all makes sense now "Instink"- the more i drink the more i wanna piss on sheldon Lol

You owe me a new computer now, or at least a cleaning of my laptop. That was funny Rod, and I need a maid for my keyboard!