PDA

View Full Version : winter tires

Punk in Drublic
10-17-2011, 08:29 PM
for the chevy, thinkin bfg mallterains. what are some ideas, what have you used and liked.

atoyot
10-17-2011, 08:44 PM
grooved aired down swampers.....

Punk in Drublic
10-17-2011, 08:49 PM
not that kind of snow, i got those already. for the chevy for the highwayégoin to the interior or out to work.

Moondog
10-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Mickey Thompson MTZ's [cheers]

Punk in Drublic
10-17-2011, 09:28 PM
mtzs eh. ill prolly be getting seperate spring summer fall tires. was thinkin studded for the interior and northern highways.

fullsizebronco
10-17-2011, 10:05 PM
Mickey Thompson MTZ's [cheers]

[36] my favorite tire yet for daily driving !

C-Dog
10-17-2011, 10:15 PM
Stud a set of the Goodyear Duratracs for the winter and then for the spring get something else......

Pm me for a price see what I can do

:D

TWOZEROFOUR
10-17-2011, 10:36 PM
what type of chev 1500,2500?

Punk in Drublic
10-17-2011, 10:50 PM
94 1500.

Newfie
10-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Stud a set of the Goodyear Duratracs for the winter and then for the spring get something else......

[stupid]

My friend as them on his chevy and likes them alot

bforce
10-18-2011, 12:42 PM

x2 father-in-law has em on a 2500 ram up in FSJ works well on ice and compact snow.

Cyanide
10-18-2011, 06:52 PM
I used too live at the top of westwood platue and it snowed alot up there in the winter, im running bfg a/t aired down, never had a problem

85chevy
10-18-2011, 08:59 PM
I have run Pro Comp All Terrain for the snow never had a problem

Little Samurai
10-19-2011, 09:18 PM
See if you can get a Nokian Hakkepelita to fit your truck. Best winter tire I've ever owned. The are pretty much only sold out of Kal tire I think.

geezer
10-19-2011, 09:40 PM
I agree with Cyanide, BFG All-Terrains aired down when needed and keep a 12-volt tire pump on hand for air-ups when you get back on the hiway. Heavy duty snowy/icy roads studs are a must. Chains mandatory for very deep wet snow. Its not only the tires, its the weight you carry over the drive wheels that give you the most advantages. Very wide tires don't always work in deep wet snow, they tend to plow the snow instead of biting through it, sometimes a narrower snow-biter tire works better. Prince George taught me a lot about driving in that shit.

4skin
10-19-2011, 10:09 PM
the bfg mud terains worked good in the snow
on the 4 runner

geezer
10-19-2011, 10:16 PM
I've used mud-terrains too in the snow and they did work well on my 1989 F-150 4x4 but I found only in the deep snow. They weren't so good on the icy roads though.

4skin
10-19-2011, 10:27 PM
seemed ok on icy roads we went o kamloops and people were spining out
and crashing all around us
and my truck had a welded rear
although they were brand new tires

geezer
10-19-2011, 10:30 PM
They are pressure sensitive tires and I don't remember what air pressure I had them set at, probably still for highway use most likely than not.

Toyquad
10-20-2011, 11:25 AM
i've only seen you drive once, and that was into a ditch....... so i'd say chains and studded tires..........

4skin
10-20-2011, 11:40 AM
i've only seen you drive once, and that was into a ditch....... so i'd say chains and studded tires..........
thats some funny shit right there:D

SuzukiSamurai
10-20-2011, 11:56 AM
i found the dick cepek mud countrys to be amazing in the snow, but im getting some hankook atms for my 2500 for the winter, they have pretty good reviews and come with a 50,000 mile warranty

Punk in Drublic
10-20-2011, 05:32 PM

:party0010: go fuck yourself :roll eyes

Punk in Drublic
10-20-2011, 05:35 PM
im looking for good icy highway tires, wish the bfg ats were studdable. if i gotta drive up to nelson or somethin i dont mind goinn all out ad gettin studs.

Little Samurai
10-21-2011, 08:42 AM
I grew up in Prince George then moved to the lower mainland and now am in Edmonton so trust me on this advice. Do not run a mud terrain on icy highways. I always used blizzaks but two years ago switched to the Nokian Hakkapellita R and it is hands down the best winter tire I have ever used. No they don't look cool but they do have an aggressive directional tread that also expels water really well to prevent hydroplaning when you get to the rainy coast between trips. Studded tires are not necessary for typical highway driving so I woul avoid getting them as the sound on bare pavement will drive you insane.

4skin
10-21-2011, 10:27 AM
you cant be drivin insane if youre already there

B
10-21-2011, 10:30 AM
duratrac's and done ...

Papa Pete
10-21-2011, 10:36 AM
duratrac's and done ...

winner winner chicken dinner[36]

Mrs_Deathtrap
10-21-2011, 11:50 AM
We have duratracs on our 2500 cummins, I love them, father-in-law has them on his work truck for logging and he says they're awesome as well. They wear really well too. We had the silent armors on but they weren't near as good and wore like sh*t, lasted maybe 9 months. We do a lot of driving to Edmonton and back so we get a lot of miles on the trucks. When Kyle takes the dodge to Edmonton in the winter he says they work great on the ice.

Cyanide
10-21-2011, 05:42 PM
I have always thought about getting duratracs, but my only concern was, my tires are 235/75, can I air down those tires with out the tire falling off the rim? with BFG A/T they are designed too get better traction off road with lower PSI, and I was told by someone that any tire smaller then 30's you cant lower your PSI cause the tire will fall off the rim, unless you have BFG's

Casselman
10-21-2011, 05:57 PM
I grew up in Prince George then moved to the lower mainland and now am in Edmonton so trust me on this advice. Do not run a mud terrain on icy highways. I always used blizzaks but two years ago switched to the Nokian Hakkapellita R and it is hands down the best winter tire I have ever used. No they don't look cool but they do have an aggressive directional tread that also expels water really well to prevent hydroplaning when you get to the rainy coast between trips. Studded tires are not necessary for typical highway driving so I woul avoid getting them as the sound on bare pavement will drive you insane.
[iagree] i bought a set of nokians for my car, not cheap

Little Samurai
10-21-2011, 07:02 PM
Haha! Ya I will never say they were cheap, just awesome.

4skin
10-21-2011, 07:42 PM
they all will fall of the rim
well not realy fall off but easier to knock them off the bead
with a shorter tire its easy to pinch the sidewall of the tire with the rim though
you could air down to 25 psi and probably be ok
you would have to do it and see how much the tire bulges

TWOZEROFOUR
10-22-2011, 12:27 AM
if you choose the bfg, get em siped 6/32nd and get the shoulder lug grooved out.

Punk in Drublic
10-22-2011, 10:04 PM

used those on my rolla they were pretty awsome. im leaning towards duratracs though, they will see some deeper snow adventuring aswell im sure.

Murd0c
10-23-2011, 02:48 AM

How much are the studs :confused0006:

WagoneerXJ
10-23-2011, 08:49 AM
I have always thought about getting duratracs, but my only concern was, my tires are 235/75, can I air down those tires with out the tire falling off the rim? with BFG A/T they are designed too get better traction off road with lower PSI, and I was told by someone that any tire smaller then 30's you cant lower your PSI cause the tire will fall off the rim, unless you have BFG's

Talking to a BFG salesman? :party0010:

bcbugger
10-26-2011, 03:18 PM
I have run Pro Comp All Terrain for the snow never had a problem

worst tires i ever had in the snow!

85chevy
10-26-2011, 03:25 PM
worst tires i ever had in the snow!

Used them 2 or 3 winters at hemlock never had a problem but the Xterrains I would never drive again except if it was wet slushy stuff they where alright but hard pack they didnt do anything.

And Nokian RSI all the way have a set for my car fill the grill plowing through snow car just keeps going but yea not cheap

bcbugger
10-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Used them 2 or 3 winters at hemlock never had a problem but the Xterrains I would never drive again except if it was wet slushy stuff they where alright but hard pack they didnt do anything.

And Nokian RSI all the way have a set for my car fill the grill plowing through snow car just keeps going but yea not cheap

no wonder i have the xterrains suck so fucken bad in the snow:ballsmack

Hellboy
10-26-2011, 04:23 PM

yeah duratracs are the shit... I got em on my pathfinder I love em.

Hellboy
10-26-2011, 04:26 PM

I got 235/75 on my pathy with duratracs I've run 12PSI in trails all day without a bead coming off...

96_z71
10-26-2011, 05:18 PM
I had a set of Nokian vativa's on my truck way back, and they worked great in the snow for me, my buddy swears by BFG A/Ts for snow, also heard that from many others. Just throw some weight in the back and air er down, you'll be mint.

Casselman
10-26-2011, 06:35 PM
I had a set of Nokian vativa's on my truck way back, and they worked great in the snow for me, my buddy swears by BFG A/Ts for snow, also heard that from many others. Just throw some weight in the back and air er down, you'll be mint.
i put BFG at's on my explorer and they worked great in the powder snow but when it came to hard packed stuff/ice they didnt want to grip :dontknow:

85chevy
10-27-2011, 02:11 PM
The drive way at hemlock isn't steep but is a bit of a hill and I drove up with my all terrains didn't notice the truck slipping. When I got out just about landed on my ass lucky I held onto the truck was slick but tires gripped it no problem.

429orangepeel
10-28-2011, 09:03 AM
KM2 and get them siped. They have worked great in the snow and ice. Been pullin a sled trailer for 2 years with them and no problems.

Preacher
11-07-2011, 01:31 PM
I have Firestone Winterforce UV on the Effer this year. Got them studded too.
Dont know what to say about them in snow or on ice, as we dont have any yet... Time will tell with this.
They do have a TON of siping though, and a nice aggressive pattern that should work well.
I dont mind the sound of the studs either... can barely hear them over the exhaust anyway.

sided00r
11-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Hakkapellita LT

Ry' & Jen
11-30-2011, 12:27 PM
Goodyear Silent Armours or Goodyear Territory are a great winter tire.
I know several U.S. KJ owners who use DuraTracs as well in the winter and swear by them.
Our M/T R Kevlars do pretty good as well in the snow if they get aired down a little. They don't have the "Snow Flake" symbol on them but they are M+S labelled so that should keep the local constabulary off our backs!