PDA

View Full Version : 2000 4runner

neumonic
10-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Looking into buying a 4runner and getting rid of my little ford ranger as I have a kid on the way...

Any one drive a 2000? Looked at one tonight and was in really good shape and the price seems reasonable compared to some that i have seem for sale. Fairly low mileage for a 2000 as well. Guy said it was rear ended from the previous owner, and they didnt do a really great job fixing it i can see some lines in the paint but anyhow i cant live with that...

Anything I should look for in this particular vehicle?

And how hard is it to do the brakes on it, as they need replacing.?

thanks [cheers]

atoyot
10-04-2011, 08:19 PM
if it was rearended.....and fixed poorly.......as u said.......

the brakes are the least of ur worries.........

neumonic
10-04-2011, 08:23 PM
I just noticed some imperfections in the paint job, other then that the body work looked pretty good frame looked in good shape was kind of dark and didnt have a flashlight on me though. Rear door opened and closed fine. Maybe i should take it to get inspected? The guy seemed pretty reasonable , didnt cross me as someone trying to screw me but you never know... seemed pretty honest about everything. He said he purchased it from a dealer 3 years ago and had it inspected?

Ironman
10-04-2011, 08:46 PM
what are you looking to spend? i know of one for sale

Evan the Blue
10-04-2011, 08:52 PM
A couple of bucks now for an inspection may save you a ton a money in the long run :dontknow:

neumonic
10-04-2011, 08:55 PM
what are you looking to spend? i know of one for sale
The one i looked at tonight was 9k, with low mileage for a 2000. definately wasnt going to pay asking price though.. Just want something reliable to drive the family around as well as tow my trailer/quad around

neumonic
10-04-2011, 08:57 PM
A couple of bucks now for an inspection may save you a ton a money in the long run :dontknow:

Yah i agree I am considering the carfacts thing online as well as get someone to inspect it. What sort of milage do they recomend changing the timing belt cause he said he hasnt done any work to it other then regular maintenence? Im thinking its almost time for one @ 114k?

harvester_sorrow
10-04-2011, 09:18 PM
150k for the belt on the 3.4L. If the brakes are the same as a tacoma they are super simple. rotor even just pops off after the wheel is removed.

neumonic
10-04-2011, 09:26 PM
150k for the belt on the 3.4L. If the brakes are the same as a tacoma they are super simple. rotor even just pops off after the wheel is removed.
cool man ,good to know [cheers]

vajayjay
10-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Buy a jeep [2e]

Covefrog08
10-05-2011, 12:02 AM
If you take it for a drive get a friend to follow you in another vehicle to look and make sure it isn't dog legging. Ie. The ass doesn't ride straight with the front wheels which is typical of hard wheeling or rear Enders

4skin
10-05-2011, 12:20 AM
9 k for a soon to be 12 year old truck thats been hit
dont know the prices on them
but ive seen some nice turbo diesel surfs for less
just seems steep to me

dirka dave
10-05-2011, 06:15 AM
It sounds a bit steep....

If the runner is in good shape other than a bad paint job then who cares.

I paied $13 000 for my 97' 6 years ago to put into perspective.

The same ones are going for $5000 to $7000 now.

Check to see if it has a rear E-locker.

neumonic
10-05-2011, 07:09 AM
Just doing some research online the 2000's range from 7500-9000 resale value. Toyotas definately keep there value. I mean the mileage is really good for a 12 year old vehicle and ive seen some older 4runners on craigslist with over 200k going for almost , if not more then 9k.

I emailed the guy last night he said hes willing to work with me and has no problem letting me get it checked out professionally. But now the question is anyone know of a reliable source in surrey that I can have it checked out?

[cheers]

neumonic
10-05-2011, 07:10 AM
Buy a jeep [2e]

I mentioned I wanted something reliable ....:dontknow:

Toyquad
10-05-2011, 08:46 AM
i bought my 97 for $3000 2 years ago....... it had high mileage 410,000. its at 450,000 now and going strong *knock on wood*

i used to work at ed schram motors in surrey .
they rebuilt/ fixed cars, so they'll know what to look for if its been in an accident.

they do good work and are pretty honest.

Talk to Len, say Trevor sent ya

neumonic
10-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Just did a carproof search through ICBC website and the truck has 6 claims on it. One being a total loss. So its now registered as a salvage/rebuilt. So at the 9 grand asking price i think i will pass... He would have to go way down for me to consider that headache.

Thanks for your help though guys [cheers]

If anyone knows a good deal on a reliable SUV preferably a 4runner send me a msg cause im on the look!

Covefrog08
10-07-2011, 12:04 AM
Just did a carproof search through ICBC website and the truck has 6 claims on it. One being a total loss. So its now registered as a salvage/rebuilt. So at the 9 grand asking price i think i will pass... He would have to go way down for me to consider that headache.

If anyone knows a good deal on a reliable SUV preferably a 4runner send me a msg cause im on the look!

Oh dear 6 claims ouch. Ya probubly safer to pass. I'll keep my eyes open on the island here for ya. Good luck with the hunt!

dirka dave
10-07-2011, 06:25 AM
http://www.funinbc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112110

:confused0006:

neumonic
10-07-2011, 07:57 AM
Looking for a reliable vehicle as I'm expecting a kid in a couple months , I have a 2008 ford ranger now that I need to sell cause its no good to me now. I'm not looking for a beater for the bush but thanks anyhow for the link dirka.

youngun
10-07-2011, 01:08 PM

Wow, I would offer him 2 g for it only if it had leather and a e locker...

Buy my 4runner [f]

Seriously, buy it :D