PDA

View Full Version : Sanden OBA conversion TJ w/pics

Lieutenant Johnson
09-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Well a buddy Rob and I were at it til midnight Wednesday night , but we got er done and it looks and runs beautifully [rockin] [rockin] [rockin]

Grabbed a Cherokee compressor off of Craiglist $20 . Bought tank with hose and fittings for $20 . Other parts included, Pressure switch, Gauge, Check valve (90-120 psi) , Oil/water separator , Air manifold, Air Filter , Relay , Switch, AC Serpentine belt and various hose fittings . I did not get a in line oiler as I will just oil every second time thru the air filter (when removed). Alll parts cost $130 plus the $20 tank and Compressor. All in for $170 and it is sooooooooooo sexy !!!!

Mounted tank under hood , as I could . Followed Hoss' air intake "hap n tap" :D(insert plug here) . Fired up first click .
Big thanks to Bobby B [cheers] [cheers] for all the help , especially electrical

Anyways heres some pics, if you have any ? I would be glad to try and help . Second best investment and day spent working on the heep!

A couple stupid vids along the way

OBA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXxm921Qt0I#ws)

Sanden OBA for tj (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GrTJphbAj0#ws)

SHITTY
09-22-2011, 07:42 PM
looks awsome. [36]

atoyot
09-22-2011, 08:22 PM
nice bud!

Lieutenant Johnson
09-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks guys. Friggin love it. Always feels better building it urself. Very powerful, still need to mount front quick connect with bracket.

harvester_sorrow
09-22-2011, 11:04 PM
Well I know where I'm airing up now. I would suggest a cover for you quick connect to keep dirt and water out.

Lieutenant Johnson
09-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Well I know where I'm airing up now. I would suggest a cover for you quick connect to keep dirt and water out.

Already have it ! Just waiting to mount it properly tomorrow to tie chain to bolt.

4skin
09-22-2011, 11:31 PM
you need to add a oiler on the inlet to the pump
or the pumps burn up from no lubrication and oiling it every second time wont be enough
we used these on are yard cars in the auto wreckers
even oiling then before every use doesnt help much the oil only last several seconds and then the pump runs dry
the oil will colect in air tank and not go in your tires
think kevins burnt a couple up by not refilling oiler before every trip
just sayin

Lieutenant Johnson
09-23-2011, 12:01 AM
Cool. One of my buddies who helped has exact setup for 3 years , no problems. He oils it every 2nd time or sooner by removing filter and down line. But may get it when I have more dollars

dirka dave
09-23-2011, 06:12 AM
good thread !

bcbugger
09-23-2011, 10:13 AM
nice job!!

youngun
09-23-2011, 10:32 AM
I planning a inline oiler when I do my setup on my big truck

Balls First
09-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Not bad Todd, if i were you i'd make a more "secure" mount for the tank lol but it's good none the less man

Lieutenant Johnson
09-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Not bad Todd, if i were you i'd make a more "secure" mount for the tank lol but it's good none the less man

yep gonna bolt other bolt in today ... just a temp to get home that night ... gonna install new elbow to reduce bend in hose, drill hole and mount other bolt ..and fab bracket to mount quick connect to bumper[cheers]

bobby b
09-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Cool. One of my buddies who helped has exact setup for 8 years , no problems. He oils it every 2nd time or sooner by removing filter and down line. But may get it when I have more dollars

Fixed it for 'ya.....

Yeah an inline oiler would be the shit, so far so good though....

When you add one Todd, well get two and I'll throw one into mine too....

mattdroz
09-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Thats wicked! Id love to do a setup similar on m chev :D

harvester_sorrow
09-25-2011, 07:40 PM
That oil separator look like a weak point.:D

Lieutenant Johnson
09-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Jamie ... Fixing er today. The smaller diameter chuck was the problem I think. Max 100psi thru it and we were pumping much more. Must have hades back pressure. Picking up Pop off valve and new oil separator today, already grabbed new chuck

harvester_sorrow
09-26-2011, 07:47 PM
that would be my guess. With that small chuck the pump was barely cycling, so you got the cfm and psi but not the diameter to move it fast.

Lieutenant Johnson
09-26-2011, 07:56 PM
Put er in and now everything is great. PSI drops past 90 and kicks in, cycles back down at 120 psi and repeats. Perfect now