PDA

View Full Version : Indoor heaters- the cold is coming :(

bcmaxx
09-20-2011, 11:00 AM
So I'm looking for input on auxillary plug in heaters to compliment my funace in my home. Its and older home and not to bad in the winter but its nice to have another plugin heater for the addition area, etc. I used an oil filled plug in heater last year and it killed me in electricity, ceramic heaters and kids and pets scare me. So I'm thinking one of those electric fireplaces or an infrared heater??

dirka dave
09-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Its still summer godammit. !!!!

bcmaxx
09-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Im on day three of furnace in the koots. it was 3c on my thermometer this morning

spanky
09-20-2011, 12:25 PM
i have one of those electric fireplaces in my bedroom wich is cold year round its on a timer starts 1hour before bed time and turns off about 15min after i crawl into my toasty bed didnt really notice an increase on my bill

trailburban
09-21-2011, 08:33 PM
it doesn't matter what it is, if it draws 3000 watts it draws 3000 watts.

however, there are those ones that cycle that were on the Amish fire place commercials. they are supposed to be a little cheaper to run.

have you considered a gas fire place? They aren't all that much to install.

the other 2 options are
1) new furnace
2) check your furnace's fan, if it has different speed taps on it try setting it to high speed. This will better circulate the air in the house.
3) set the fan to be on all the time. Older furnaces usually have a push-pull switch inside the furnace panel, new ones you can usually turn on or off at the thermostat.

hillclimber
09-21-2011, 10:33 PM
We have this portable heat dish thing i think we got it at costco. Plugs into the wall. heats up a room in no time $60ish if i remember correctly

keadyn
09-21-2011, 11:33 PM
If you have not allready upgraded the thermostat get a 7 day program one and turn the heat off when no one is home.

Trailburnban is correct no matter what heat source you use X number of watts is just that.

Heating blankets are very low Watts wise.

Grow pot??? them lights put off some heat

OOPS
09-25-2011, 09:30 PM
I had the furnace blow out in a house I rented last winter and had to heat the house with plug in heaters as the landlord was out of the country and I found these really awesome heaters made by Lasko. They run on about 600 watts but put out a huge amount of heat for their size as they use a fan as well as the infared element . You can just set the temp on the digital thermostat and forget about it like you would your furnace. Ive seen em at Home Depot for about $100 but I bought mine from the CL cheap like $30 each

glopedawg
09-26-2011, 08:21 AM
Maybe try cleaning your air filter in the furnace, or upgrade to a more efficient filter. And like Trailburban said, maybe try checking for different taps on your motor to increase the size. I'm an electrician and have done this several times, and most motors will have variable taps on them.

Also you could try installing some small baseboard heaters (240v), which from my experience draw a relitively low current and put out sufficient amount of heat.

giggityjeep
09-26-2011, 04:24 PM
LOL I use a costco heat dish in my basement in winter, no need to turn on the fireplace and close all the vents to the basement in winter, just it alone on med leaves the basement warm enough for th kids to play and watch tv in their shorts..... and it heats the upstairs as well a bit...

itsa good size basement as well... big rec area and 3 seperate rooms for other stuff... have not turned my gas fireplace on in 2 years... I turn it off duringhte day, and turn it one when we are down there, it heats it up in about 15 minutes

stockwheels
09-26-2011, 05:59 PM
just do ot right and put a boiler and hydronic infloor heat in and ur house will never be cold expensive yes but sooo worth it unfinished basement is a plus for install

OOPS
09-27-2011, 01:36 AM
Maybe try cleaning your air filter in the furnace, or upgrade to a more efficient filter. And like Trailburban said, maybe try checking for different taps on your motor to increase the size. I'm an electrician and have done this several times, and most motors will have variable taps on them.

Also you could try installing some small baseboard heaters (240v), which from my experience draw a relitively low current and put out sufficient amount of heat.

electric baseboards without a fan are said to be the most efficient because %100 of the electricity used is converted directly to heat, but they are still the most expensive to run because they are really inefficient at at transferring their heat throughout the whole room and tend to heat the room from the ceiling down, which is why they take so long to take the chill off when you return home and turn the thermostat back up.

if you put a ceiling fan in the room it would take half the time and power to heat the same area with the baseboards. 240v baseboards are just the commonplace as they are approved for constant use and most 120v appliances are for "temporary use" and not deemed safe for unattended use. same as power bars, extension chords etc if you read the fine print on the labels.

after you check out the furnace go around the house and try to block off any drafts you can find, then do the plastic film on the windows.

most of the single pane windows i image for heat loss are the equivalent of about r1 (2x4 studs are around r7 to give you a comparison) and are the biggest source of heat loss in the house by far, with air leakage following second. on a zero degree day with the heat in the house at 20c the single pane units typically read at around 15c.almost the same temp on the OUTSIDE of the glass as the interior of the house. so they are only really blocking %25 of the heat you just bought. the film should add another maybe r4,and seal the windows for drafts.

hope that helps:D

some examples of single pane units (measurements in celcius)

bcmaxx
09-27-2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks for all the info everyone! I'll be sealing up and puttin plastic up where I can, maybe add a few door sweeps too. So plan is a infrared heater http://www.sears.ca/product/portable-furnace-portable-furnace-infrared-heater-1500w-tuscan/642-000882399-ACW0035WT for the living room area, and an oil filled heater for the hallway, bedroom areas. A new electric furnace is in the works for next year

gavman
09-27-2011, 09:05 PM
wood stove, just ordered one today, will be installing it this saturday...

OOPS
09-28-2011, 04:38 AM
thats a pretty nice portable furnace for $299, it should make that area nice and comfy, but I would not use the oil filled heaters in the bedrooms, or leave them on unattended .
without a fan to circulate the air in the room it will take the unit forever to bring the room up to a comfy temp after having it turned down. they get really hot to the touch in the middle so you cant let curtains etc touch them.
also ive had more than one call to trace an electrical problem with a breaker constantly tripping and found one of these units that to be way overheating due to low oil as they tend to leak when they get old.

the one in the pic below is 103c in the middle!

just sayin, not very efficient and maybe not too safe either

dirka dave
09-28-2011, 05:22 AM
wood stove, just ordered one today, will be installing it this saturday...

Dam you and your cool house in the middle of nowhere !

:D