PDA

View Full Version : Toyota pickup - Okanagan

sided00r
09-14-2011, 08:17 PM
Hi, I was advised to look here for Toyota guys around Kelowna by folks at yotatech, because I'm buying a 4 cylinder '95 standard 4x4 with a rebuilt engine, whose tranny seals and other mysterious parts will need some help that I don't really know how to give it, by myself. I only drove it a few minutes, but it makes a slow steady rhythmic hum in every gear. Surface rust is manageable, there's some oil coming out of it, but it otherwise purrs, shifts steady, and will do me fine for work and backroads as long as I can give it the attention it needs.

I am hoping to learn here who I should try to hook up with that knows these pickups well enough near Kelowna to troubleshoot and get me going with it. Generally, my plan is to park it over a bucket till spring unless someone tells me I won't kill it by driving it as is, and, well, you know, I'm going to want to drive it... !

(p.s. also in the market for lightweight hunting gear and stories, new to that too, been in the south for too long, just back in BC a year now, gratefully so.)

youngun
09-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Sounds like im the guy your looking for, im the toyota guy in kelowna

TWOZEROFOUR
09-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Welcome BackDoor Bandit, This site forum has been a wicked resource over the years of building mine.

or you could sell that truck and get started proper with that first gen Young Gun has for sale and cut right to the chase.

hillclimber
09-14-2011, 11:35 PM
Welcome BackDoor Bandit, This site forum has been a wicked resource over the years of building mine.

or you could sell that truck and get started proper with that first gen Young Gun has for sale and cut right to the chase.

would it happen to be a long box?

youngun
09-15-2011, 03:35 AM
its got a decent 93 short box on it. The stock box was rotted right out

dirka dave
09-15-2011, 06:12 AM
Sounds like im the guy your looking for

:WTF [35] [35]

hillclimber
09-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Youngun hows the frame? If it is good send me a email with some info and pics.

dirtbike_dude_5000@hotmail.com [cheers]

youngun
09-15-2011, 10:54 AM
:WTF [35] [35]

oh yeah oh yeah oh yeah oh yeah

youngun
09-15-2011, 10:55 AM
Youngun hows the frame? If it is good send me a email with some info and pics.

dirtbike_dude_5000@hotmail.com [cheers]

I have sectioned, sleeved and plated the frame. I actually don't have it for sale anymore, the gf is planning on driving it this winter

sided00r
09-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Well hi youngun and you other folks and thanks for the heads up, dave. So it turns out 3 months basic insurance was cheaper than 15 days, so I'm on the road with it and it looks like a '94 22re short box. I have regular maintenance records for fluids, brakes, etc. and a clutch at Midas in Westbank last year. Seller said the rebuild installed around '05 was a duplicate of the original, but I'm not popping the hood (or spreading out cardboard) while all the neighbors are around just yet. Driving it home I was hoping the rhythmic hum was wind blowing through a seam, but that wouldn't vibrate the floor...He also said they never used it offroad, but that I had to get out and lock hubs first, I see the manual says to drive 10 miles with the hubs in Lock once a month to keep drive components lubricated...so what might break, test driving, if that wasn't done regular, and is that different from ADD??

Besides that, really, can I bring this truck by someone around who knows them, for a drive-by inspection and a push start to get me pointed in the right direction?? Even if someone shakes their head and says 'never have paid money for this scrap'...

youngun
09-15-2011, 10:29 PM
25O.8O1.O4II

text me and i will point ya in the right direction

sided00r
09-16-2011, 05:13 AM
Awesome, will do

sided00r
09-17-2011, 10:48 PM
So the sound mysteriously vanished after youngun looked at it, and the 4wd works expert, I am totally happy with this truck now and will for sure be taking it to youngun for tuning as long as the invite stays open.

Should I use some wrench to free a locked hub if it's kinda hard to twist, or should I roll the truck an inch and try again??

youngun
09-18-2011, 02:46 AM
Your drivers side turned nice, the passengers side was a little stiff. Probably should be taken apart, cleaned and re greased to make them turn smooth again

Toyquad
09-18-2011, 09:51 AM
yup clean and re grease it, give her some lube............

sided00r
09-30-2011, 07:46 PM
How can I tell if it's a pickup or 4runner? Will there be a difference in part numbers? Lordco sent me home with two completely different sized/priced valve cover gaskets, for starters...

4skin
10-01-2011, 02:01 AM
both 4 runner and pickup use the same drivetrain
a 4 runner has a one piece body like station wagon
a pick up is 2 piece body cab and a seperate box
ask young gun who he deals with at lordco
and deal with them
the counter person you dealt with is a idiot
just sayin[cheers]

sided00r
10-01-2011, 06:53 AM
Ah ok, that kinda defines SUV doesn't it...good I'm old enough to remember what a station wagon was, lol! Hope the '92 truck at the pick and pull is near intact, need a jack and a fuel fill door...in the market for a deal on decent tires too...if anyone is cleaning their garage any time...