PDA

View Full Version : break spongy

regulate34
08-25-2011, 09:44 PM
well i had the ford out for the first time after the axels and what not. i found that the break peddel is soft. i bled the hell out of the stystem and no more air. if i hit the break its good, nice and high with great breaking power. but if i push the pedel down light and slowly it goes almost to the floor but still works just not as well. i think its the break master. but i havent had to deal with one yet so just looking for comformation. also their is no fluid loss.

4Lo
08-25-2011, 10:16 PM
there is a piston inside the master if I remember right. A part of that has I believe a rubber seal or oring or something. Any way it sounds like fluid may be getting past said rubber piece. I did this but are your calipers on the right side...bleeders on top?

regulate34
08-26-2011, 06:07 AM
yep calipers are good and new wheel cylinders in the rear

Apathy
08-26-2011, 07:19 AM
my pathfinder did that exact same thing. it was a loose connection.
i bled and bled and bled the lines, and got all the air out.
Later i'd do it again, and got more air.
This went on for some time, till one day, i went around and tightened everything up again, and then it stopped.

also, check the adjustment on your rear drum brakes.

dirka dave
08-26-2011, 08:26 AM
Beat me to it jer.

Check the adjustment on the rear.

Your flex lines could also be shot.

Barndog
08-26-2011, 11:19 AM
my Burb did same thing changed master got alot better but ABS light coming on , found bad front wheel hub assembly changed and all is good

regulate34
08-26-2011, 06:13 PM
Beat me to it jer.

Check the adjustment on the rear.

Your flex lines could also be shot.

i just put in stainless break lines about 6 months ago

regulate34
08-26-2011, 06:13 PM
but ill adjust the rears again.

regulate34
08-26-2011, 06:27 PM
here is one. i am welded in the rear. i know how to adjust trailer breaks and i know its the same concept for my truck. but i am spinning both tires. also how tightly should they be adjusted. trailers are till it stops the tire and 8 turns back. but thats eletric and needs that play to opporate properly. how about a truck? any tips

Apathy
08-27-2011, 06:05 AM
they should almost be tight.

Troy
08-28-2011, 01:41 AM
jack up the rear end, put it neutral, tighten the star wheel , spin the tire by hand and you should hear/feel the shoes dragging inside the drum SLIGHTLY

if that doesnt help the spongyness then your wheel cylinders could be weeping, or you master cylinder may be fucked.

I was going to suggest replacing your flex lines with stainless but it sounds like you've already done that. Makes a huge difference in pedal hardness.

mus-Tard
08-29-2011, 06:14 AM
its a fucking ford. deal with it!