PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Cherokee Rear Main Seal

Hellboy
08-24-2011, 03:42 PM
So I called Jeep out of curiousity to see how much they charge for the job, 6 hours at $120 an hour. Oh, and the part itself is 20 bucks.

Pretty sure this is gonna be a driveway gig.

I think I have to take off the tranny to get at it, then just out with the old in with the new (not sure if I have to seal the new one with anything) and obviously change the oil. I've looked up some people's methods on how to do it, one guy drops the axle and takes off the oil pan (but maybe since mines lifted I won't have too :dontknow:)

Not sure if any of you guys have done this job before and have a helpful tip or a word of advice so I don't make the same mistakes you might have made. I don't see this being too hard though, as long as I don't rush it, and don't forget which tranny bolt goes where :confused0006:

bcmaxx
08-24-2011, 03:56 PM
You can do it tranny in place as its a 2 pice rear main seal. get one of them super nice one piece blue felpro oi pan gaskets, you will save lota time and hassle ! let the oil drain for at least overnight unless you enjoy a shower of oil. make sure you have a nice brass punch as the old seal likes to get rock hard and stay stuck in there, carefull not to brake anything or damage anything, some of that cast stuff breaks easy. Use a newer style duoble lip seal also.

Hellboy
08-24-2011, 04:45 PM
So, I only need to take off the oil pan to get at the rear main? That's good to know, hopefully I can drop the pan without removing other stuff.

Chopstick
08-24-2011, 04:55 PM
take the oil pan off and the one of the bearing caps for your crank and it should just slide right out with a little fun

get a book on it so u dont fawk up your torx specs on the cap for your crank shaft

bcmaxx
08-24-2011, 05:02 PM
and rear main bearing cap, be sure to have the torque ready. they are also common for the oil filter adapter orings leaking between the block and adapter, have a look there too for a leak

Happypants
08-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Your rig is lifted enough where u shouldn't have any problems with the pan hitting the front diff or Arms, and you should do the oil filter seal too while u got the oil out, it's like 3.00 at Lordco,

Newfie
08-25-2011, 08:00 PM
post some pics to I have to do both the rear main and I think that o ring bcmaxx mentioned.

vajayjay
08-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Never done rear main but the o-ring is very simple, remove oil filter undo one bolt replace o-ring put tighten bolt back up and replace filter

Happypants
08-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Rear main is a bitch to get to but simple to replace

Hello Kitty
08-25-2011, 10:31 PM
as above and refrain from licking frogs and jd while wrenching :)

Hellboy
08-25-2011, 11:50 PM
Yeah ill try to get some pics for you soloxxx, but u know how it is, covered in oil wrenching possibly frustrated and then u forget to take pics altogether

Probably gonna tackle this early next week and let the oil drain all weekend. Id rather do it on the weekend but i got other shit to do

Hellboy
08-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Well, I got all the parts. (I think) Which is why I'm posting a picture of everything I got just in case I fucked up lmao

-Fel Pro One piece Oil pan gasket
-Fel Pro Rear Main
-Fel Pro Oil Filter Adapter O-Ring (unrelated to main seal)
-I also picked up some PB Blaster and some RTV sealer. There were about 7 kinds of RTV sealer, I got the one with the highest temp rating. Hopefully it will work with this application?
-I also got a Cherry Bomb while I was at it cause I wanted one anyway.

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd496/93pathy/a1bb4380.jpg

I think that's everything I need to do the Rear Main Seal, and the Oil Filter Adapter. Please advise me if I got the wrong stuff, like the wrong RTV maybe :dontknow:

Started the Oil drain 30 minutes ago. Just going to leave drainplug off all night and most of the day tomorrow. I may start work tomorrow if I find time.

Also, a question about my Cherry Bomb...

Being as I failed aircare anyway, and I never plan on taking the truck through aircare as it will be a permit truck... Would there be any adverse effects of removing the Catalytic converter and the muffler and replacing with the Cherry Bomb? Or should I keep the cat and just replace the muffler?

I was thinking maybe it would mess up the backpressure or something along those lines...

[cheers]

vajayjay
08-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Ran mine with no cat ever since the stroker, and now am running a cherry bomb and have no issues

Hellboy
08-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Ran mine with no cat ever since the stroker, and now am running a cherry bomb and have no issues

Yeah I didn't think it would make any significant differance. I'll just keep the cat for a few runs incase it fucks up I can put it back in lol

norm
08-27-2011, 02:47 PM
The copper RTv is meant for exhaust manifolds,just use grey for oil gaskets/seals.

Hellboy
08-29-2011, 02:11 PM
Well Ive got all the bolts out of the oil pan and got it loose from the truck but it simply wont seperate from the transmission. Ive wiggled it every way i can
Think of. I think im gonna have to take the tranny out

bcmaxx
08-29-2011, 03:21 PM
maybe it isnt dropping down far enough? You dont need to take the transmission out

Happypants
08-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Check again if u missed a bolt and/or the front of the pan is hitting the diff or control arm

Hellboy
08-29-2011, 05:49 PM
Im thinking if i jack up the body and stretch the front suspension it might come out... Cause the oil pan is hitting a control arm. That or i could take off said arm.

Im just gonna have to mess around with it but where theres a will theres a way

Newfie
08-29-2011, 11:41 PM
Never done rear main but the o-ring is very simple, remove oil filter undo one bolt replace o-ring put tighten bolt back up and replace filter

sounds good than

Yeah ill try to get some pics for you soloxxx, but u know how it is, covered in oil wrenching possibly frustrated and then u forget to take pics altogether

all good Ive been there myself [27] good luck

dirka dave
08-30-2011, 06:31 AM
Get in line, England is next jeep in Dirkastan.....

Hellboy
09-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Okay so after a wiggle here a wiggle there and some brute force and ignorance i got the oil pan out.

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd496/93pathy/c939db1b.jpg

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd496/93pathy/6304bb13.jpg

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd496/93pathy/255ea53e.jpg

Now im just wanting to confirm where the rear main is before i start taking shit apart...

Is it behind those two big bolts there?

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd496/93pathy/6ec8049a.jpg

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd496/93pathy/8bbdc3c4.jpg

Hellboy
09-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Nevermind i found a writeup that explains the whole thing throughly.

Soloxx you should definately check this out.

http://jeepin.com/features/rearmain

Newfie
09-02-2011, 08:06 PM
nice thats handy

Hellboy
09-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Success. I just needed to do it on a day off instead of after work. It really makes it alot easier if your getting at it from a relaxed standpoint rather than pre frustrated from work lmao

Happypants
09-06-2011, 12:36 AM
Done yet?

Hellboy
09-06-2011, 07:21 AM
Yep lol

Chopstick
09-06-2011, 04:19 PM
holy shit, next time buy a book... that job is maybe 2hrs

England
09-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Get in line, England is next jeep in Dirkastan.....

thats right !!!!!!

Hellboy
09-06-2011, 05:48 PM
holy shit, next time buy a book... that job is maybe 2hrs

Ya it really didnt take more than that i just only spent 10-15 min a day on it. Id just get pissed off cause it was after work and so bloody hot out in my driveway, i dont handle heat well lol. Once i actually did it on a day off before it got hot out in the morning and could focus i finished it in like an hour with no hickups.

I guess next time i work on my truck i should do it on the weekend. That way i can get shit done lol

Oh ya and my haynes manual didnt cover it that well, it was like "remove oil pan, replace seal, install reverse of removal" with no pics lmao

Chopstick
09-06-2011, 09:47 PM
lol good old haynes manuals