PDA

View Full Version : Fender flares

glopedawg
08-22-2011, 11:03 AM
I'm looking for a set of cut-out style fender flares for my 1990 Toy pickyup. Does anyone know where I can get a set of them from? I've checked jungle fender flares, and bushwhacker fender flares and am thinking about getting a set of the 3" cut out style ones from bushwhacker. Any info would be appreciated!

youngun
08-22-2011, 11:45 AM
The bushwhackers look good but shatter into peices if you hit them on something, and they are pricey.

I would look for some rubber/soft plastic kinda flair thats cheap and flexable so when you loose one its cheap to replace. And if you bump a tree it wont get smashed to bits

dirka dave
08-22-2011, 11:52 AM
The bushwhackers look good but shatter into peices if you hit them on something, and they are pricey.

I would look for some rubber/soft plastic kinda flair thats cheap and flexable so when you loose one its cheap to replace. And if you bump a tree it wont get smashed to bits

BS.. I have 6" pocket flares on my 82. I have beaten the hell out of them.

They are strong.

Yes they were expensive.:p

glopedawg
08-22-2011, 11:53 AM
The bushwackers aren't too expensive, it's going to be $575 for a set, taxs in. I'd still like to find a company that makes a softer fender that won't shatter at all when I hit a tree!

youngun
08-22-2011, 12:08 PM
I suppose, 575 bucks is expensive to me seeing as they are 4 peices for plastic that are going to get smashed. I would spend 575 on a detroit locker or beadlocks, etc before i would spend big money on something that will get messed up. They might hold up for you, but I know i drive like a idiot and they would get smashed apart first trip out hahahahaha

glopedawg
08-22-2011, 08:17 PM
Yeah true that Tyson, your definetly right. Thing is, I got a notice by the 5.0 to get fender flares put on about a month ago when they pulled me over for having a tail light out!

norm
08-22-2011, 10:39 PM
Get 2 sets of rears off a YJ, they are about 3" wide and flexible. I have 1 pair prolly easy to find at pick a part. just trim the ones you put on the front.:dontknow:

Hellboy
08-22-2011, 10:43 PM
How pretty do they have to be?

Just get rubber weather stripping0. from rona and tek screw them on. :D

glopedawg
08-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Haha they don't have to be pretty at all, just have to satisfy the law. And yj rear fenders hey? I would have never thought of that for a Toyota, but I'll see how close they match up. My buddy has a yj.

youngun
08-23-2011, 12:21 PM
yj ones would work good im sure

glopedawg
08-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Oh well, I went ahead and ordered a set. $515 taxs in. They seem durable, I'll just have to avoid those trees eh! Thanks for the info though

youngun
08-23-2011, 10:21 PM
they are decently flexy in the summer but in the winter when its minus 10 they get fragile. Just be careful of trees in the winter and they should last a while

dirka dave
08-24-2011, 06:24 AM
My flares are structural !!

:D

crazylike
08-24-2011, 08:24 AM
i bought some that bolt through the fender from jcwhitney there soft rubber and cost me about 100 bucks including shipping there universal fit

glopedawg
08-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Oh now ya tell me, after I ordered my $500 set haha. I'llcheck those out, cause I still want a nice soft rubber fender, not brittle plastic.
Eventually I want some tube fenders that I can bounce off trees all day!

youngun
08-24-2011, 11:05 AM
i bought some that bolt through the fender from jcwhitney there soft rubber and cost me about 100 bucks including shipping there universal fit

These look really nice, look like they are ment for a 4runner not a universal fit.

Should have messaged me about tube fenders, Or could bend up come tube on the outside of the bush wackers so it looks good but still have some tube there to bump into

glopedawg
08-26-2011, 12:37 AM
Interesting... I was thinking the same thing. Math running some tube around my fenders, down to some sliders! I gotta put some sliders on first! Fab me up some for under $150?

4skin
08-26-2011, 12:40 AM
My flares are structural !!

:D
well the frame certanly isnt:D

youngun
08-26-2011, 12:48 AM
Interesting... I was thinking the same thing. Math running some tube around my fenders, down to some sliders! I gotta put some sliders on first! Fab me up some for under $150?

cheaper to buy the sliders then it is to make them. By the time I order material and switch the welder on its cheaper to buy em. I can get em for around 250 bucks shipped to my house

dirka dave
08-26-2011, 06:14 AM
well the frame certanly isnt:D

Lets call them speed holes.:D

Moondog
08-26-2011, 08:00 AM
BS.. I have 6" pocket flares on my 82. I have beaten the hell out of them.

They are strong.

Yes they were expensive.:p

I put a set of Bushwacker pocket flares on my XJ they smashed to bits on the first trip out they are shit for off road use go with a soft flexible flare try checking out Semi stores there are a lot of new designs available for them now all are soft and flexible and they are real easy to install. The only thing the Bushwaker flares are good for are show trucks and FSR cruisers.

glopedawg
08-26-2011, 08:12 AM
I put a set of Bushwacker pocket flares on my XJ they smashed to bits on the first trip out they are shit for off road use go with a soft flexible flare try checking out Semi stores there are a lot of new designs available for them now all are soft and flexible and they are real easy to install. The only thing the Bushwaker flares are good for are show trucks and FSR cruisers.

God damnit! I knew I was I was fucked since I picked one up and noticed they were kinda brittle, even in like 30 degree weather. But I needed a set quick to avoid the fuzz. Looks like I may have to turn my truck into an fsr cruiser........ NOT! I'll just have to avoid the trees!

dirka dave
08-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Ask Peggy mine are strong. You guys must have got some bad ones.

4skin
08-26-2011, 09:43 AM
no yours are how old dave
probably in the pre bushcracker days

dirka dave
08-26-2011, 09:53 AM
NOpe they are bushwackers.

They were the only ones that made a 6" flare for the 82'.

youngun
08-26-2011, 10:48 AM
bend up some tube to protect them!!!