PDA

View Full Version : XJ/MJ rock slider questions

'Balmer
07-07-2011, 01:33 PM
I'm going to be building a set of sliders for an MJ soon. After doing some research I discovered that most designs incorporate a bar (generally angle iron) which rests against the pinch weld and bolts through the pinch weld to another strip of steel thereby sandwiching the weld itself.

My questions are;

Do you guys running sliders have the afformentioned pinch weld dealy?

If so, did you build the sliders yourself and do you have any design tips for me?

If not, have you had any issues with your pinch weld sepparating from the shear forces created against the cheesy sub-frame by the sliders?

Thanks in advance for the help [cheers]

Moondog
07-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Best ones I ever saw made by Godzuka [36] http://www.funinbc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59498 [cheers]

Pudge
07-07-2011, 02:06 PM
check out JCR stage 2 sliders, and copy that

D-Ass
07-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Yea u should incorperate the pinch weld by doing so it disperses the shovk load through the entire body not just the unibody frame rails.

bcmaxx
07-07-2011, 04:22 PM
I run aj's superrails, with the pinch weld mounting. I dont think they would be that strong without the extra mounting points. I saw a cross section picture of the "framerail" on another jeep site, it scared me enought to run weld on framerail stiffeners even before I bolted on the rock sliders http://www.hdoffroadengineering.com/

I got tboned slow speed by another jerk off in an xj hit my directly in the rock rail and lr tire, hard enough to bend the axle, and nothing else budged.... I have also winched my heep off its side and onto all fours using them as an anchor. So yes opt for pinch weld mounts

Happypants
07-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Chop the rockers out and weld in 4"x4" square hss, D-ass did that on my old xj, fucking strong too and up high out of the way

4skin
07-08-2011, 01:38 AM
and where is that xj now oh right its a ex jeep:D
coming soon to a toyota dealer near you lol
yes definatly grab the pinch weld
its the strongest part of the unibody
its were we clamp to do pulls in the body shop[cheers]