so finaly fired up my tig tonite
welded up the hot water tank for my camper[36] went good
but realized i no lomger have my mini bench grinder for sharpening tungstens
:mad: budy gave it to me
he bought a fancy sharpener for his
my ? is do i need a special stone or just a fine one:dontknow:

youngun
07-07-2011, 12:55 AM
as far as i know, you just need a fine grinding stone, or sandpaper that you have not used on mild steel so you don't contaminate the tungsten with small mild steel particles

regulate34
07-07-2011, 07:33 AM
did bruce forget to winterize his camper?

Punk in Drublic
07-07-2011, 07:37 AM
fine stone. just moce it around a bit, seen many a stone get too bad a grooce and go boon at workk.

Punk in Drublic
07-07-2011, 07:38 AM
groove and boom. not grooce and boon. beer typing

Trooper
07-07-2011, 04:44 PM
The finer the better. I use diamond wheels for my tungsten. If they are really contaminated I dress then first on a stone wheel as diamond wheels clog very easy. The larger the diameter wheel the faster it will grind I like the 10 and 12" wheels. Sharpen both sides of the tungsten gives you twice the amount of arc time before sharpening. If your using thoriated (red) electrodes wear a dust mask.
Dress your wheel too you cannot get a sharp tungsten grinding in a groove.
PM me if you need a diamond wheel. I have a tonne of old ones that still have life for tungstens. If you are using 1/32nd or up tungstens you can get away with allot corser finish. I use 0.035" tungstens mostly when I do TIG but most of my arc time these days is plasma arc welding. much cleaner and you cannot contaminate your electrode.

4skin
07-08-2011, 02:47 AM
thanks for the info luckily i dont do alot of tig work
so speed of sharpening isnt a big factor
i just couldnt remember if it was a special stone or not
and no lucas i didnt forget to winterise my camper
the guy i got it from did but camper was free
so it needs some repairs

Trooper
07-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Just remember a purge is your freind with tig. I wouldnt do any full penetration weld with out one.