PDA

View Full Version : steering box eater

radman
06-20-2011, 10:53 AM
i have just changed my steering box for the 4th time in 5-6 years, mind you they have all been used boxes. i was wondering if anyone has had a simular problem, and might know a fix. 3 of the 4 boxes all sprung a leak at the pitman shaft seal, except the last one. it blew the sector shaft seal. ive had 33s on it for most of the time, and dosent seam to make it any worse with the 36s i have now. one theory i have, is the extended periods of low speed and lots of steering is generating too mutch heat, causing the seals to fail. i am going to put ia a trans cooler and electric fan i have kicking arround and see if that makes a differance. any thoughs?

bcmaxx
06-20-2011, 11:12 AM
I think the cooler alone will make all the difference. Mine would start whining, get hot and hard to turn. And I seem to also go through a box a year and blow the lower pitman arm shaft seals out.
I run a 20,000# tranny cooler now in front of a 16" electric fan, huge improvement.

patford
06-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Steering box out of ? Bushing could be gone , replace mine with bearing . Cooler way better then the tubing on the cross member .

radman
06-20-2011, 05:24 PM
its mostly an 88 f-150

TWOZEROFOUR
06-20-2011, 05:27 PM
U use a Pickle fork to change yer pitmans or a proper puller ? I have seen many a failure from sector shaft beatings with a fork and hammer.

regulate34
06-20-2011, 06:48 PM
i run 36s on my f150 and no issues yet.

Toyquad
06-20-2011, 10:59 PM
i have just changed my steering box for the 4th time in 5-6 years, mind you they have all been used boxes. i was wondering if anyone has had a simular problem, and might know a fix. 3 of the 4 boxes all sprung a leak at the pitman shaft seal, except the last one. it blew the sector shaft seal. ive had 33s on it for most of the time, and dosent seam to make it any worse with the 36s i have now. one theory i have, is the extended periods of low speed and lots of steering is generating too mutch heat, causing the seals to fail. i am going to put ia a trans cooler and electric fan i have kicking arround and see if that makes a differance. any thoughs?

not familiar with ford boxes.... haha box. anyways arent the pitman shaft seal and sector shaft seal the same thing?

radman
06-21-2011, 11:12 AM
U use a Pickle fork to change yer pitmans or a proper puller ? I have seen many a failure from sector shaft beatings with a fork and hammer.

i use a pitman arm puller, but i just left the pitman arm on the boxes, untill i put the sus. lift in.

toyquad, im not an expert on boxes.. lol, stearing boxes anyway, you could be rite.

TWOZEROFOUR
06-21-2011, 11:36 AM
not familiar with ford boxes.... haha box. anyways arent the pitman shaft seal and sector shaft seal the same thing?

correct