PDA

View Full Version : Leaking A4LD tranny

85chevy
06-10-2011, 10:55 PM
So starting to get this 1990 Ford Ranger 4x4 road worthy and now that most of the other things are fixed the tranny has decided to leak from the bellhousing and am assuming its the front seal so everything I have read says that these things need a lot parts changed for the tranny to last longer then a year but it seems to be doing fine when I have driven it for over 300kms but its just leaking unsure if its been replaced or rebuilt in its life maybe ask the guy I got it from tomorrow. So should I just pull it out replace the seal and see what happens or while its out should I just bite the bullet and rebuild it and hopefuly not have a headache while I own it again.

regulate34
06-10-2011, 11:04 PM
you would be better off to keep buying used replacements for 80 bucks.
with paratice you can have a tranny swap down to 3.5hrs with hand tools and on your back in the driveway

regulate34
06-10-2011, 11:06 PM
oh and make sure its not pukeing out the tom of the shift tower. all 4 fords i have owned did it until i put in mew shifter seat bushings.

85chevy
06-11-2011, 12:54 AM
Yea I will have a look tomorrow pretty sure there will be a fair sized puddle on the cardboard by the morning

regulate34
06-11-2011, 07:44 AM
oh it wont be coming out the shitf tower when sitting.

85chevy
06-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Not a lot on the ground doesn't leak when its sitting so its just whatever has leaked out while it was running

Cwheeler
06-11-2011, 11:55 AM
A4LD is an auto luke

but yea these tranys are shit, i owned one and ill never own one again. mine decided to dump its fluid all over the ground a few times changed the seal twice but as soon as it heats up and thinks about overheating which isnt hard on a hill or a trailer itl do it again. do yourself a favor and swap it out...

85chevy
06-11-2011, 12:08 PM
lol hmmmm that must of been what did it then I just drove it up a mountain and I didn't baby it haha

deer laredo
06-13-2011, 09:28 AM
change the seal, slap tranny back in, go wheelen

regulate34
06-13-2011, 10:06 AM
A4LD is an auto luke

but yea these tranys are shit, i owned one and ill never own one again. mine decided to dump its fluid all over the ground a few times changed the seal twice but as soon as it heats up and thinks about overheating which isnt hard on a hill or a trailer itl do it again. do yourself a favor and swap it out...
hahaha sorry. i know my truck in and out but thats it. mo5d and zf5s.

Chopstick
06-15-2011, 12:06 PM
A4LD is an auto luke

an i had to pull you out fo the trailer everytime you ford started its period

old codger
06-15-2011, 01:48 PM
When you drop the Trans out, Drop the Clutch out too! Check the pilot Bushing in the crank for wear!, over the years I've changed quite a few!
also the Input shaft BRG has a tendency to wear out & cause a few
Problems. We used to Live in the EAST KOOTENAYS, A guy bought his Ford
F100 into the shop, told us that the Local Ford Dealer had replaced the seal & bushing before he drove to Calgary!. Stopped overnight looked next A.M
Pool of Oil!, so drove back home stopped at the Ford shop,and was told that it had probably been overfilled ? so they checked the LEVEL, said it was OK.
Then he brought to the shop, took it round the Block with him, had him turn OFF the Radio first! he said, WHY,I like listening to it!!!. WE then found out
WHY his Tranny leaked OIL!!. ALL the bearings were worn out,and the gears
were damaged!, The Mechanic in Calgary liked LOUD TUNES TOO!!:confused0006: :confused0006:

85chevy
06-15-2011, 02:27 PM
When you drop the Trans out, Drop the Clutch out too! Check the pilot Bushing in the crank for wear!, over the years I've changed quite a few!
also the Input shaft BRG has a tendency to wear out & cause a few
Problems. We used to Live in the EAST KOOTENAYS, A guy bought his Ford
F100 into the shop, told us that the Local Ford Dealer had replaced the seal & bushing before he drove to Calgary!. Stopped overnight looked next A.M
Pool of Oil!, so drove back home stopped at the Ford shop,and was told that it had probably been overfilled ? so they checked the LEVEL, said it was OK.
Then he brought to the shop, took it round the Block with him, had him turn OFF the Radio first! he said, WHY,I like listening to it!!!. WE then found out
WHY his Tranny leaked OIL!!. ALL the bearings were worn out,and the gears
were damaged!, The Mechanic in Calgary liked LOUD TUNES TOO!!:confused0006: :confused0006:

Clutch:dontknow: ????? Autos have a torque converter.............. u won't hear any gear noise either

skyjacker
06-15-2011, 04:57 PM
a4ld's are only good for boat anchors , people call me all the time asking if i have one for sale, i just tell them i dont sell them cuz a month down the road you'll call me bitchin i sold you a bunk tranny , so i just SCRAP um

85chevy
06-15-2011, 06:17 PM
I am gonna just change the fluid and filter again dump a thing of lucas in it and drive it till it blows up then decide what do after its destroyed haha

skyjacker
06-15-2011, 07:59 PM
I am gonna just change the fluid and filter again dump a thing of lucas in it and drive it till it blows up then decide what do after its destroyed haha

5 speed swap , easy done about 10 of them on RBVs

MikeWild
06-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Throw a bigger tranny cooler with electric fan in there as well as a temp gauge, you'd be surprised how hot they get. Easy 200 degrees just puttering around town on mine. I'm on A4LD #5 right now, with a rebuilt back up sitting on the shop floor waiting to go in.

old codger
06-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Clutch:dontknow: ????? Autos have a torque converter.............. u won't hear any gear noise either

Not being a FORD OWNER! (THANK GOD) I dont follow all the numbers
related to THEM! So A4LD doesn"t mean SQUAT to me. BUT I think you should read " How an A4LD Trans works" to clear up your IDEA that there are NO GEARS INSIDE!!go fuck yourself go fuck yourself

85chevy
06-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Not being a FORD OWNER! (THANK GOD) I dont follow all the numbers
related to THEM! So A4LD doesn"t mean SQUAT to me. BUT I think you should read " How an A4LD Trans works" to clear up your IDEA that there are NO GEARS INSIDE!!go fuck yourself go fuck yourself

I wasn't refering to there not being gears inside i was refering to generally autos dont make ur typical noises a manual will make when its on its way out