PDA

View Full Version : Head Scratcher Solved

kootenaycat
06-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Fuckin Fords! :D Mother in laws 3.8 litre Taurus wouldn't start last week, acted like a weak battery, tried jumping - no go. Wanted to crank for a split second then dead stop like it was hydro-locking. Pull plugs out to look for coolant - 3.8 litre specialty - but no coolant. Tested voltage at starter when cranking and tested like a winding was shorting out so go get a used starter and before putting it in I figure I'd try putting a socket on the crank pulley and it won't budge! Try to turn it CCW and it turns, WTF? So for the hell of it I pull the serp belt off and it cranks over fine. Turns out the A/C pulley bearing had packed it in and siezed up and there is so much tension on that serp belt that it was stalling out the starter! Never in 22 years of pulling wrenches have I seen that. Picked up an A/C bypass bracket and pulley for $41 and eliminated the compressor. Still looking for a newer car for her but she has wheels for the meantime. :D

I'm thinking of sending this one into Canadian Technician to see if they run it in their 'Car Side' article where they have strange diagnosing problems.

dirka dave
06-03-2011, 06:20 AM
Thats why in 15 years of pulling wrenches I have sworn to NEVER BUY A FORD !!

Thanks for the tip !

[cheers]

RuskinRider81
06-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Should have just burnt it... lol
I had a 1990 Taurus and it stood up to the name FIX OR REPAIR DAILY!!! (F-O-R-D) I had so many problems with that car that finally someone bought it off me for $600.00.. Never again will I go for a FORD CAR... They do have nice trucks though!!

dirka dave
06-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Ford trucks look nice when they are on fire.

85chevy
06-03-2011, 10:54 AM
I am regretting taking the free 1990 Ranger that has been sitting for 6 years took it for a drive last weekend and now seems the tranny is leaking out the front seal...... but the anti-lock rear brake light and brake light are now out hahaha the drive seems to have fixed one thing but another appears.

D-Ass
06-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Holly shit! I agree with durka!:ballsmack

RuskinRider81
06-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Ford trucks look nice when they are on fire.

They are nice looking trucks... But I'm not saying I would buy one... lol

RuskinRider81
06-03-2011, 11:44 AM
I am regretting taking the free 1990 Ranger that has been sitting for 6 years took it for a drive last weekend and now seems the tranny is leaking out the front seal...... but the anti-lock rear brake light and brake light are now out hahaha the drive seems to have fixed one thing but another appears.

BURN IT!! Go for Chev or Dodge!!

85chevy
06-03-2011, 01:48 PM
BURN IT!! Go for Chev or Dodge!!

Naw I have a full size chevy already and the price was right for this thing just wasn't well maintained by the last owner sitting in the back of his property for 6-7 years doesn't do much for a truck.

kootenaycat
06-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Naw I have a full size chevy already and the price was right for this thing just wasn't well maintained by the last owner sitting in the back of his property for 6-7 years doesn't do much for a truck.

Worst thing for a vehicle is to have it sit, especially outside.

m j
06-04-2011, 09:55 AM
worse thing for a vehicle is to have a bowtie on it

RuskinRider81
06-04-2011, 10:22 AM

Well that's why.. Leaving trucks/cars to sit for that long is never good!!
I'll still go for Dodge or Chevy.. BURN THE FORDS!! Especially the Taurus lol