PDA

View Full Version : Jeep sputtering/rattling sound w/VIDEO

Lieutenant Johnson
06-02-2011, 11:27 AM
So yeah , this sound coming from my Drivers side is like a sputtering /rattling sound ... happens at idle and when I speed up?

Thinking exhaust ?? but dont know where to start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvxbmuz_n-g

harvester_sorrow
06-02-2011, 11:42 AM
sounds like a tractor. loose exhaust hardware or hangers maybe. were you wheeling when this happened or just before?

Lieutenant Johnson
06-02-2011, 11:50 AM
after may long weekend!

harvester_sorrow
06-02-2011, 12:01 PM
I'd be checking your connections and hanger mounts along with the actual manifold bolts.

Lieutenant Johnson
06-02-2011, 12:03 PM
cool will let cool down ... and check tonight

Punk in Drublic
06-02-2011, 01:07 PM
seems like a normal jeep to me

old codger
06-02-2011, 01:13 PM
So yeah , this sound coming from my Drivers side is like a sputtering /rattling sound ... happens at idle and when I speed up?

Thinking exhaust ?? but dont know where to start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvxbmuz_n-g

How about removing your VALVE COVER and checking for a broken Vavlespring???. They do break! even on JEEPS!!!

Lieutenant Johnson
06-02-2011, 01:25 PM
not a engine thing ..took mechanic Stethoscope and not the engine ..thank god..

must have hit something wheeling and loosened a bolt or whatever!

B
06-02-2011, 01:32 PM
stop shaking your head ... [22] ....

sorry no sound on the work comp cant help to misdiagnose ... lol

England
06-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Nice one B .....

Happypants
06-02-2011, 02:37 PM
harmonic balancer cutting into timing chain cover, replaced one on each jeep ive owned, had a similar sound, replace it quick or you will be putting a new motor in

Lieutenant Johnson
06-02-2011, 03:00 PM
harmonic balancer cutting into timing chain cover, replaced one on each jeep ive owned, had a similar sound, replace it quick or you will be putting a new motor in

Serious ??? fak .. gonna see tonight and maybe take to exhaust shop tomorrow ...

and B WTF??? :dontknow:
dont get it bud!

Happypants
06-02-2011, 03:09 PM
just go look at it, if its rubbing you will have nice shiney scraping marks behind the harmonic balancer on the outter edge, then if you want for shits and giggles turn the truck on and you can watch it wobble, dont worry there not too much money, only about 380 bucks:ballsmack jk

Lieutenant Johnson
06-02-2011, 03:16 PM
awesome!! thanks ,Moneybags!

Happypants
06-02-2011, 03:18 PM
lmao, ya there not much but if you dont have to replace it then dont, so go look

Lieutenant Johnson
06-02-2011, 03:23 PM
will do tonight thanks Nick!

u comin down to Hale next weekend ?

Lieutenant Johnson
06-02-2011, 07:17 PM
So after checking the jeep out. Sounds normal when clutch in , as soon as clutch is out sound is there??
Took to a mechanic and he said same thing it's the clutch. Just did the clutch and slave. Puzzled? Anyone

Troy
06-02-2011, 08:08 PM
something could be rubbing in the bellhousing.

ive had starters motors and dust shields rub on flywheels and ring gears making all kinds of fun noises. pull the starter and take a look in the hole or if you have an inspection hole put a mirror and light and peek around

Balls First
06-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Throw out bearing, ive gone through 4 and they all sounded like that, could be the input bearing seal on the tranny too, that happened once lol put a nice 1/4" gouge in it when the bearing shit its pants, if it gets REALLY loud stop thats the bearing seizing if you keep going bad things will happen

i have a pic somewhere of the all the ball bearings from the throw out bearing on the bottom of the bell housing lol it came out in 6 pieces once

B
06-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Throw out bearing, ive gone through 4 and they all sounded like that, could be the input bearing seal on the tranny too, that happened once lol put a nice 1/4" gouge in it when the bearing shit its pants, if it gets REALLY loud stop thats the bearing seizing if you keep going bad things will happen

i have a pic somewhere of the all the ball bearings from the throw out bearing on the bottom of the bell housing lol it came out in 6 pieces once

he means input bearing retainer the sleeve the throw out ride's on if you just replaced the throw out when you did the clutch this could have a groove in it and be hanging it up

Chopstick
06-02-2011, 10:38 PM
he means input bearing retainer the sleeve the throw out ride's on if you just replaced the throw out when you did the clutch this could have a groove in it and be hanging it up
:D had the problem once too

also make sure your tranny bolts are on tight!!!

Lieutenant Johnson
06-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Anyone in Langley that wants to lend a hand. Just need a hand dropping heavy tranny and lining back up.

harvester_sorrow
06-03-2011, 11:04 AM
get er done. t minus one week. If i was closer I could help. Let me know if your in a bind though.

Lieutenant Johnson
06-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Thanks Jamie. Have a couple guys coming after work. Should be easy fix on once I get in there. Jeep just said it's Throwout bearing or spring on pivot bearing. Said not to worry but I want it done right

B
06-03-2011, 11:52 AM
did you put in a new one when you did the clutch ? ...

Lieutenant Johnson
06-03-2011, 12:13 PM
Yeah B came with the kit. New Timken bearings. Not a new pivot though, which I got today. It also has a little click when pressing the pedal initially. Just don't want to be " that guy" stranded with no clutch

Lieutenant Johnson
06-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Ended up being a defective Throwout bearing thy came with my kit 3 weeks ago!
Had a ton of side to side movement /play which cause the " chattering " sound as it sat and vibrated. Hopefully get it warrantied tomorrow