PDA

View Full Version : not toy truck but toy car issue....HELP!!

A6D9
05-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Ok mu buddy just got a 1993 toyota camry 2.2 auto.

he says that when he eases on the gas it can slowly rev up to 6k rpm easy...in neutral or when in gear or park.

BUT....when he mats the gas it dies and will not rev, he can matt it at any rpm to start and it never takes off just sputters and dies.

he says aparently it is a known problem but no one knows how to fix it out this way....and well I know you toyota boys (ahem dirka...) know allot about these cars.

and well to be honnest i trust you all on this site a hell of allot better then most any other site.

so fire at me..anyone know anything?

this is the quote i got from him "punch the gas and it cuts out, rev cut out, rev, cut out and so on....then you ease on gas and it will rev to 6k"

RCCruiser
05-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Sounds to me like you're not getting enough fuel to go along with the extra air when floored. If it was carbed, I'd blame the accelerator pump.
Being fuel injected, there's a whole slew of possibilities.
Low fuel pressure. Dirty injectors. Throttle position sensor. Dirty fuel filter. And I'll toss in the O2 sensor for the heck of it.
Any trouble codes?

Punk in Drublic
05-18-2011, 11:25 PM
Sounds to me like you're not getting enough fuel to go along with the extra air when floored. If it was carbed, I'd blame the accelerator pump.
Being fuel injected, there's a whole slew of possibilities.
Low fuel pressure. Dirty injectors. Throttle position sensor. Dirty fuel filter. And I'll toss in the O2 sensor for the heck of it.
Any trouble codes?

start cheap and go from there, filter, o2 sensor, pump, injectors. go from there.
its a toy, prolly somethin simple. they make runforever cars. maybe check plugs before anything if hes never changed em. might be dead factory plugs. i picked up an explorer with a "dead" motor for next to nothing. plugs were aten to nothing. changed plugs wires and cleaned up the dizzy. ran like a top/

Jayota
05-20-2011, 06:44 PM
try unplugging the tps to rule it out. IF its better with it unplugged then it might need to be adjusted or replaced...

FXR UPR
05-23-2011, 10:36 PM
Check the igniter inside the distributor.

A6D9
05-24-2011, 07:05 AM
thanx for the great advice..all info is beign passed to buddy.

Apathy
05-24-2011, 07:31 AM
and the mass air flow sensor.

epic3
05-24-2011, 11:34 AM
I agree with pathy.

A6D9
06-01-2011, 06:46 AM
this is what he said he did....
"unplugged the TPS on the car abd it had less power and still fucked up..but it would snap out its fits if you hold the gas down, when he has it plugged in it will just keep jerkin"

any other ideas?

dirka dave
06-01-2011, 07:33 AM
I would clean out the mass airflow sensor with sensor clean. (only use sensor clean).
Also kinda sounds like a weak spark.

regulate34
06-01-2011, 07:42 AM
whats his tire pressure?

Jayota
06-01-2011, 01:58 PM
have you guys checked the fuel pump??