PDA

View Full Version : 89 xj rad swap

bratboy
05-04-2011, 03:59 PM
i am looking to get rid of this stupid system for the rad in my 89 xj i have been told the 90's have a traditional rad with the cap on it instead of on the overflow bottle (my cap now on the overflow bottle keeps popping threads and then it starts to get hot) i guess i am asking what will be the simplest way of doing this .......if a 90 xj's rad will work what all needs to be changed? the rad and overflow i imagine but what about the hoses? sorry i am kinda in the dark here and have never done a rad swap in one of these any help would be greatly appreciated :)
ps: i have bled the system completely but it still ends up popping the threads which is from crappy threads on the cap (the cap is new as i thought that would solve my problem but didn't)

Pudge
05-04-2011, 04:23 PM
naxja

go there, there is a simple write explaining everything you need to know. If not, it's totally simple, even an idiot could do it (I did, and I'm an idiot)

I even have a rad for ya, with the A/C cooler attached. It's not perfect, as the over flow tube connection has broken off, but you can have it for a 6 pack.

Paul

Trailjunkie
05-04-2011, 04:30 PM
easy stuff less than an hour to do man.

90's xj rad heater hose Assembly overflow bottle and hose .

remove everything except rad hoses from block. install rad ,heater hoses and overflow.

tip: if you remove the tray the old shitty bottle sat on it's a great place to put the overflow bottle.

bratboy
05-04-2011, 05:57 PM
cool thanx a ton for the help master p and trailjunkie
ps paul can you pm me your number

bcmaxx
05-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Another option for ya http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/JTopenSystemSwitch/OpenSystemSwitch.htm . I just got a csf 3 row, so I kind of wanted to keep it in there. I had bad luck with plastic/aluminum rads. Either leaks at the tranny cooler ports, or tanks leaks, and didn't provide very good cooling in comparison.

A hose clamp around the plastic coolant cap slightly tightened keeps the cap from deforming when tightening. also make sure you dont fill it up to much, I kept mine around 1/3 full.