PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Sway ????

Tunabomber
04-25-2011, 08:55 PM
I had my Trailer loaded with camping gear

i was headed down the hwy about 80 kph when it started to sway side to side

i was going strieght and had been doing aprox 80-85 kph

my stuff was loaded fairly even and my toung weight was about 40 lbs

all i had to do to correct was let off the gas but it happend 2-3 more times on the way camping....but not once on the way home

any idea why this happens :dontknow:

heres a crappy camera phone pic of set up

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t83/mrtuna/89cb5c41.jpg

mus-Tard
04-25-2011, 09:22 PM
faulty driver :dontknow:

chevy69chevelle
04-25-2011, 09:23 PM
my guess is wind drag on the quad was taking that 40 lb off the tongue and making it back heavy,,, 40lb isn't much, a general rule of thumb is 10% of the weight on the tongue..

lowering the front of the trailer a bit might help, I know the compressor I tow around sometimes has about 70lb on the tongue but as soon as you bring it above a certain point it falls backwards. try lifting it and seeing if you are close to that point.
\I use to have about 70lb of tongue weight on my buggy trailer, then I set the axle a bit farther back and it tows way better now...

An DOT can give you crap for no fenders just so you know :)

gavman
04-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Tongue weight is too light, load it heavier on the front and no problem...

LooseNuts
04-25-2011, 09:36 PM
id have to agree on the tongue weight. im not an expert but when i helped reeseman move we had to repack the Uhaul on the side of the highway cause the weight was to even.

it looks like its just the quad in the trailer though from the pic. like some one else said maybe the hitch is to high or the wind drag

Tunabomber
04-25-2011, 09:44 PM
to low toung weight eh :confused0006:

i didnt have my quad for this one i had it full of camping gear and even had it loaded like a giant wedge with the rear being the highest point and then covered with a tarp

never thought about it like that but given the way i had it loaded with the slope @ 80 k im sure i was reducing my toung weight to 0

will try it different next time ... thanks [cheers]

LooseNuts
04-25-2011, 09:47 PM
anytime. haha
after repacking a 16' Uhaul loaded to the roof on the side of the highway in the rain, i figure probably better to have the tongue weight a little too heavy than too light.

barracuda
04-25-2011, 09:47 PM
adding shocks is a big improvement.

Moondog
04-25-2011, 09:53 PM

[iagree] or you could try going to an RV store and see if they have an anti-sway solution for your towing needs [cheers]

Tunabomber
04-25-2011, 09:56 PM
adding shocks is a big improvement.

after seeing the air time that trailer got off road....um ya im on that

gavman
04-26-2011, 06:31 AM
after seeing the air time that trailer got off road....um ya im on that

On that trailer shocks will make no difference at all, especially with the stock springs, air the tires way way down, I run mine at less than 5psi depending on the load, and it softens the trailer ride out hugely...
Oh and you ARE asking for trouble without the fenders:)

gavman
04-26-2011, 06:36 AM
[iagree] or you could try going to an RV store and see if they have an anti-sway solution for your towing needs [cheers]

Wrong fix Dave, anti sway devices mask problems that shouldn't be there in a properly loaded trailer, there should be no need for them except in cases like travel trailers or horse trailers that catch huge wind on the highway and the load is affected significantly by the wind...

pumpkin
04-26-2011, 06:39 AM
Its all about toung weight, The faster you want to drive the more toung weight you need. Its not so much the toung weight as it is the weight out behind the center of the trailer that starts the dog wagging its tail. The faster you drive the more the wind moves the weight back, kinda like pushing on a sail.

regulate34
04-26-2011, 06:44 AM
danny is right but if you look at the trailer you cant get the load much further foward by ware the axel sits. from the pictures the trailer seams to be nose down a little so wind lift on the front is unlikley IMO. i have a 6x8 flat deck that i haul behind my car and it dont sway al all with a quad or firewood all the way to empty.

Apathy
04-26-2011, 08:38 AM

this.

barracuda
04-26-2011, 09:28 AM
On that trailer shocks will make no difference at all, especially with the stock springs, air the tires way way down, I run mine at less than 5psi depending on the load, and it softens the trailer ride out hugely...
Oh and you ARE asking for trouble without the fenders:)

. on a trailer shocks do exactly the same thing as on a passenger car etc. The same thing will happen to a car without a dampning system

explain how dampning a spring, which does nothing more then store and release energy not help?

sounds like spring oscillation and resonance that is happening when you reach a certain amount of speed.
changing the toungue weight/load changes the frequency point in which this will happen

gavman
04-26-2011, 11:17 AM
THAT trailer came from the factory without shocks, the springs it came with are rated for 2000 pounds and are very very stiff and short, so no need for shocks...
Now if it were loaded at capacity all the time shocks may help but at 2000 pound load it won't last very long offroad...

These little trailers are not meant for offroad use by design and build quality...

I have the same set up as Eric and have run it offroad for 4 years now and airing the tires down takes almost all the bounce out of it and when it does bounce it does not hit hard..,

Stetson
04-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Same as the rest, you tongue weight is too light. Those little Snow Bear trailers etc. have different positionings for the axle. (at least a few I've looked at) and the axle can be bolted on the frame in positions of 10"forward to back, (move yours back if you can). (I moved mine forward as they assembled it too far back for what I carry)

atoyot
04-26-2011, 03:31 PM
ohhh ill play.....

its because it doesnt wanna be behind a jeep and is trying to get away?????....
ahahahah

regulate34
04-26-2011, 05:56 PM
ohhh ill play.....

its because it doesnt wanna be behind a jeep and is trying to get away?????....
ahahahah

:s30x: