PDA

View Full Version : A wiring problem or a Computer problem??

Honky
04-19-2011, 10:21 AM
2005 Dodge 2500 Diesel

The problem:
The trailer wiring was substandard, shitty connections and pretty much a hack job with wiring even connected to the wrong wires.
The wires have been re-run, and connected proper.

Here is the dilemma, The left and right turn signals as well as the brake light have no power. The fuses have power yet there is no power getting to the back and the two wires that power the turn and brake are dead. The two causes that it might be are of course a break in the factory harness OR the computer has shut down power to those wires.

Reading on the internet the computer will shut down power….phoning and talking to the service tech at Dodge in Mission he said no the computer does not control trailer wires and will not shut them down.

To have a codes reader put on it’s about $120 with tax…which is not a problem if there was a hope that would work.

What do you guys think? Is there something that I’m missing? Could it be something else?
:dontknow:

CITYSLICKER
04-19-2011, 10:32 AM
ground wire ???

Honky
04-19-2011, 10:51 AM
grounds are fine

Trailjunkie
04-19-2011, 10:52 AM
my buddy just had that problem kev . it was the turn signal assembly in the column.

Trailjunkie
04-19-2011, 10:53 AM
ive got a code reader here if you want to check it

Honky
04-19-2011, 11:02 AM
Dodge dealer. His verdict: the trailer light relays are built into the TIPM on the 2005 Ram 2500 diesel, cannot be removed or replaced and the entire unit is "unflashable" meaning it can't be reset or updated. A new TIPM cost $400 plus an hour or so for labor to reprogram it.

Trailjunkie
04-19-2011, 11:04 AM
jebus that sucks man

Honky
04-19-2011, 11:07 AM
that is guess his guess...of course I'll have to take it in to confrim

but yeah sucks big time!!

Trailjunkie
04-19-2011, 11:11 AM
are your hazards working correctly?

Honky
04-19-2011, 11:46 AM
all I have as far as trailer lights is running lights. In the truck everything is workng good

Moondog
04-19-2011, 12:11 PM
This problem is only in the factory trailer harness, drive signal was spliced into reverse wire, pass sinal into drive side and reverse wire sliced into drive side signal. All have been rewired correctly all conections have been cleaned up and rewired. Trailer harness for camper does have joins in it and all joints are good. As Kev said there is power to the fuses and the fuse panel but the tow harness is dead only on the wires that were incorrectly wired.
Thats pretty shitty news on the TIPM Kev I was hoping they could reflash it, does Ann have any connections for the spare part from the wreckers? That would at least keep the cost down abit for you, and don't forget to replace that rear drive side lite bulb assembly before you get the work done.

Honky
04-19-2011, 12:57 PM
well the more I read the more I don't know lol

I am now wondering if it is the tail light plug that is burnt out...I have one ordered in. I will see if that fixes the problem.

if not I have an apointment with Dodge tomorrow.

Moondog
04-19-2011, 12:59 PM
tail lites are on seperate harness from trailer lites so I doubt that it would effect the TIPM but you never know.

Honky
04-19-2011, 01:04 PM
I was thinking maybe from this on a dodge forum....

“Totally Integrated Power Module” (TIPM). This module controls the left front, right front, left rear and right rear lighting independently. The TIPM utilizes “smart” technology that has the ability to monitor the current (amp) on some of the lighting outputs. These monitored outputs include the headlamps, turn lamps, stop lamps and reverse lamps. The module is able to detect both electrical short and open circuit conditions. The module has a preset allowable current (amp) operating range for each of these outputs. If while in normal operation the current detected falls outside this preset range, then a fault is set in the module. In the case of too high of current the circuit will be shut off. This fault condition will remain true until the current level falls back into the normal range. In the case of the turn lamp circuits, if the module detects too low of current then the module will assume an open circuit condition (burned out bulb) and the blinker will flash at a double flash rate. This detection is in place to assist the customer in determining if there is an active short in the lighting circuit or a burned out bulb (open circuit).

Moondog
04-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Well your drive side lite was full of water lol that would definately cause a short.

Honky
04-19-2011, 01:51 PM
Dodge Ram trucks from 2006 forward, have eliminated circuits with regular ol' fuses for the trailer circuits; left trailer turn signal and right trailer turn signal. If there is a fault, then the software in the truck's TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) shuts down that circuit. There is a counter within the software that allows only so many resets after a certain number of faults, then the module must be replaced (dealer item only). Note that the trucks turn signals work (http://forums.woodalls.com/) fine when the TIPM cuts off the trailer effected circuit(s).
:-(

England
04-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Ill follow you in and out ..oooer sounds rude ..if that will help

Jeepnut
04-19-2011, 02:22 PM
turn signals are over rated use your hands

Honky
04-19-2011, 02:23 PM
plan B is to go boating this weekend lol

Moondog
04-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Looks like boating for me this weekend as well getting mine ready for launch on Friday tomorrow [36]

crazydude
04-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Almost makes me not want to buy a dodge hearing that only after so many resets you have to go to the dealer and have this tipm replaced cause they didn't want to use fuses. Talk about a money grab

Moondog
04-19-2011, 03:17 PM
It's not a problem on my 05 :D

England
04-19-2011, 03:53 PM
yeah but Its Honky everything breaks that he has LOL

Honky
04-19-2011, 04:09 PM
I just replaced the rear tail light plugs....no change :-(

Moondog
04-19-2011, 04:14 PM
don't forget you need a new 4 pin plug as well the old one was toast

Trailjunkie
04-19-2011, 05:21 PM
if it was a chev you wouldn't have a problem, i drive a ford its almost as bad as a dodge.

baumer65
04-29-2011, 08:42 PM
just hard wire in a set of wires from tail/turn lites to trailer plug ,and a good ground for both and eliminate it,.

Styx
06-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Hey Kevin we used to see this alot at work when trailer wiring was all screwy... Ya it's prolly the TIPM and ya you need to replace it... First off try to disconnect the battery for a couple min's and see if it clears...

Honky
06-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Did that...... it turned out to be just some codes that needed to be cleared

what ticks me off is I phoned 3 dealers and all of them said that there was NO WAY IT CAN BE THE CODES!!!! even after I told them that is what my research found it to be the case......The coquitlam dealer in a really snotty voice cut me off and said "you didn't find that info on the internet did you?"

when I said yes it was like a light switched turned off and wouldn;t talk to me further about it. So I let the Coquitlam dealer do the work and a few hundred dollars later all they did was clear the codes and give me the bill

oh well live and learn

dirka dave
06-24-2011, 12:21 PM
I could have done that for ya.

4skin
06-24-2011, 12:33 PM
fucking puter to run turn signals bullshit

Apathy
06-24-2011, 02:18 PM
but dodges are such great rigs.. just ask anybody.

more fucking troubles than they are worth, cummings or not.

4skin
06-24-2011, 02:21 PM
thats why i bought the one i did no computer manual windows standard
less stuff to fu

Honky
06-24-2011, 02:22 PM
yeah the computer senses that there is a fault in the plug or light is burnt out and after something like 100 senses with the same fault just cuts power to the problem.

Not the best way to solve the problem IMO

Styx
01-24-2012, 12:45 PM
I just looked at the date on this... did you get it fixed???
Yes the TIPM on that year were a pain usually gets screwed by the addition of trailer wiring that is put in wrong... Use to do lots of them not soo much now... Fix the wiring first or you will be doing it again in a few years...

Cheers...