PDA

View Full Version : Starting and voltage problem

shwa2k3
04-17-2011, 12:21 AM
Hey guys I have an xj i6 1995 I was out at stave fucking around on the flats then out of no where my check engine light came on and I started to slowly loose voltage on my batt so I figure it was just my alternator but I wanted to make sure so I charged my batt and tried to start it but it did nothing I took my multimeter out and checked my voltage on batt it had 12. Something the. I got someone to turn the key and it was almost the same. Then I went to my starter it had 12. Whatere at the bigger wire like it should but when I got someone to crank it over the little wire that engages the starter solenoid had no voltage so I jumped the two with a screw driver and It started up. But yet again no voltage and no charging. What's wrong any ideas would be helpful I checked my fuses under the hood switched relays around and the only way to start the jeep was to jump the solenoid to the power wire :dontknow:

shwa2k3
04-17-2011, 12:21 AM
also it's manual and I've cleaned all the conectoins

4skin
04-17-2011, 12:52 AM
its staveitis probably killed starter and altenator
stave goo will get ya every time hahaha

FRAM
04-17-2011, 07:56 AM
How old's the battery? I've done the new starter, alternator, and battery routine. Battery twice now. Last time the battery post was loose. Everything works fine for one start and then nothing the next start. I was told the batteries do not like the jarring.

Lazybaka
04-18-2011, 06:25 PM
do the v8 alt upgrade and move it up to where the a/c pump would have/does lived

Chopstick
04-18-2011, 08:47 PM
altinator, starter probably done, but if u change both of them and it still doesn't work then change your ecu

BleepinJeep
05-18-2011, 03:20 PM
Have you checked CPS to make sure the voltage is getting through?
You can unplug it and check with multimeter.

Happypants
06-01-2011, 03:14 PM
i would have the alternator checked first, is it covered in nasty stave shit mud? when you go to turn it on does it click or absolutly nothing when you turn the key? if its clicking its the starter or battery, if nothing its a loose/dirty connection, check your wiring from the alternator back and from the starter to the batt, make sure everything is clean and tight,

pull the starter and clean it up, and bench test it, then you will be able to tell if the starter is fucked or not,