PDA

View Full Version : 4 cyl diesel

godtool
04-15-2011, 08:26 AM
Typically how many kms can a 79 fj 4 cyl diesel take before it starts to die? And what kind of mpg do they do? I know diff gears may be different for some!

godtool
04-15-2011, 08:29 AM
Heres a pic of it

dirka dave
04-15-2011, 08:39 AM
Lots and lots.

mountain man
04-15-2011, 08:53 AM
about a million!

Trooper
04-15-2011, 11:38 AM
500k miles with out a rebuild. You will need to do the pump and injectors about every 250k miles. IF you have never run it out of fuel or gotten water in the fuel that is. Diesels are all about the PO. You can ruin a diesel in less then 50k miles.

KINGCRUISER
04-15-2011, 02:08 PM
As soon as you have to start taking the heel and toe express. That shit is toast... But in my experience it starts to die after about 500 km unless you refill it with diesel...:party0010:

hillclimber
04-15-2011, 02:16 PM
toyota diesels are good engines. are you buying just the engine or the whole cruiser?

godtool
04-16-2011, 07:39 AM
What does PO mean?? Head was done on engine and its the complete FJ for a smoking SMOKIN deal. I was wondering if the 79 diesel engine will bolt into a 1983 Toyota pickup with 5 spd standard. 4spd in FJ righ now. Thinking of putting 350sb or 454 (just kidding) in FJ. I need truck with good mpg and diesel with 5 spd in 83 toyota pickup 4x4 may be really good... Depending on gear ratios and considering shape of FJ just may keep diesel in FJ but need new roof for FJ for winter months lol here in the cariboo.

Moondog
04-16-2011, 09:22 AM
Top Gear couldn't kill one

4skin
04-16-2011, 09:29 AM
2.4 d is a bolt in with the right bellhousing
dont think the fj one is as easy
my 86 2wdr with a 2.4 5 speed cost 60 bucks to drive to prince george
plus a bunch of runing around up there
yes i know diferent engine
id leave it in the fj myself

FZJ80
04-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Not an easy swap at all, great engine no powerhouse though, if there is an achilles heel it is the precups.
There are more than a few that have gotten turbos after 350,000kms and have gone another 200,000.
Toyota says 4100 RPM Max, but i don't know anyone that goes that high.
PO is previous owner.

godtool
04-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Decided to by FJ with diesel. FJ was rolled and then driven home. Been sitting for 3 years and owner says it wont start due to stuff being removed to do body work. Engine completely rebuilt with new head so thats goiod plus no rust in entire unit. I think it needs new front window glass. Any tips when looking at it before I give over the cash lol. I'll post pics after I get it home.

hillclimber
04-26-2011, 09:50 AM
what a landcruiser with no rust? my ass

godtool
04-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Seriously... new tub or totally redone I was told. Pics show no rust!! Yah I always wanted one yet usually they are rust buckets. If I pull the diesel in the Fall for my 83 Toyota, I'll have tub rhino lined in and out!! I'll tell you how much I paid for it after I buy it on Thursday!!

hillclimber
04-26-2011, 01:08 PM
damn you must've found a gem. my cousin actually got a landcruiser from the interlakes dump believe it or not. plus there were 2 drivetrains with it. the frame only had a couple rust spots but they weren't that bad. only thing is when the guy was loading it he bent 2 of the crossmembers but thats it. still sitting in pieces tho lol and no tub

FZJ80
04-26-2011, 04:23 PM
So is it a FJ converted to diesel or is it an BJ?
What series Cruiser is it 40,60?

godtool
04-27-2011, 08:38 AM
Its an FJ according to the papers. Whole roof comes off. Its short like a jeep such as a CJ5. Found out yesterday diesel engine has not run for 3 years since bodywork was started yet never followed through. So I'll winch FJ onto car trailer and pack roof\doors into back of truck and cross my fingers diesel will run... owner is someone I know so I told them I don't want if they will regret selling it yet still 2 weeks later they prefer it gone if I'll pay what they want rather try to low ball and the price is still really good. I figure tub alone worth close to what I'm paying. I'm definetly paying 4 digits lol. So far a gem in pics. Yes I've found some good stuff at the dumps up here in the Cariboo. Buddy in PG told me city passed bylaw you are only allowed 15 minutes at share shack since people have waited there most of a day to take stuff home... I've brought lots of good tires\rims and auto parts back from scrap pile at dump. Brand new battery holderr for 80's chev truck recently...

godtool
04-29-2011, 08:18 AM
Its a BJ40. I dont know what my freind waas thinking it was an FJ. I think its because they were driving an newer FJ. As for tub its redone from seats back. New outside sides, tub corners, new floor, basically totally new 3+ yrs ago from seats back. Floor is cut out on ds and ps and patches welded in yet not very nice, over lapped rather butted. Tub mounts under floor where your feet go are rusted and need to be redone yet good enough for a few years lol. Starter was off in a box yet they did not know why it was off. Glass is all good except for flat piece on one side and front window. All broken glass is just the flat stuff, righty on! Nice old style upright warn winch with clutch lever on ps side. All new seats (I guess professionally re-upolstered) It was rolled on ds so front fender and side of jeep close to fender pusded in so hood does not line up. Pretty all basic easy bodywork. Paid them a $1000 so now its gone to a good home and now they have an empty garage to use. Wood on top of window frame is bungied on there so frame an be reworked straight.

MR.MIKE
05-02-2011, 12:11 PM
It's a b motor not a 3b still strong but I wouldent put any money into it. The 3b is a much better motor.