PDA

View Full Version : 3.0 blown engine question

Chody
04-01-2011, 08:43 AM
my buddy has a truck with crazy knock, (sounds like a old powerstroke) its the 3.0l in a 92 toy truck. hes willing to give it to me for awesome price, just wondering how easy it is to get another engine and swap it?

WestCoastMoose
04-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Do it yourself. 2 days to unhook and take out. 1 day to swap over parts, and 2 days to put back together.These are 8-10 hour days.Be sure to put in a new starter while doing it. I recently did a swap.First time doing it for me. And I have a perfectly good motor for sale also....Checkout Craigslist for my ad.
I can give ya advice if ya need while doing it.

m j
04-01-2011, 08:48 PM
or swap in a real motor
5.0, 350, ls,

Chody
04-01-2011, 10:04 PM
saw the add, im not really looking to spend more than 3-400 on a motor, what causes the knock exactly? he ran it super low oil when it happend, now it does it worse.

WestCoastMoose
04-02-2011, 05:27 AM
Knock is caused by low oil flow or a blocked passage.Usually gunk or gum from over used oil,or the crap in the bottom of the pan was sucked up into the oil pump and pushed around the engine.. If you would like to try getting rid of the knock, try some of the best internal engine cleaner out there.(AMSOIL internal engine cleaner) I have a couple bottles if you can't find any.
After it is cleaned, drain and fill with 5/30 detergent oil,(pennzoil has a good product) and run for a couple weeks. Flush again then fill with 10/30. Use a higher grade oil filter for your first refill.

If it has been knocking for a while, chances are the bearing won't last. If it hasn't been run very much with the knock, you should be able to save the bearing by cleaning it well with the engine flush.

Cheese eyes
04-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Knock is caused by low oil flow or a blocked passage.Usually gunk or gum from over used oil,or the crap in the bottom of the pan was sucked up into the oil pump and pushed around the engine.. If you would like to try getting rid of the knock, try some of the best internal engine cleaner out there.(AMSOIL internal engine cleaner) I have a couple bottles if you can't find any.
After it is cleaned, drain and fill with 5/30 detergent oil,(pennzoil has a good product) and run for a couple weeks. Flush again then fill with 10/30. Use a higher grade oil filter for your first refill.

If it has been knocking for a while, chances are the bearing won't last. If it hasn't been run very much with the knock, you should be able to save the bearing by cleaning it well with the engine flush.

:eek: :WTF say what ???????

[stoned]

FZJ80
04-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Say What X2
If it's already knocking it's pretty much over, the bearing will fail sooner than later.

Chody
04-02-2011, 07:01 PM
you shold hear the vid i have , sounds like a jack hammer. but anyhoo, how easy is an engine swap?

Gavin
04-02-2011, 07:07 PM
hahaha, buy my sbc swap stuff, dont bother with the 3.0

4skin
04-02-2011, 09:12 PM
if it was a 22re it would lastanother 2 years
mines had a knock forever
thought it wasnt going to last the spudspudspudspudspud
as for buddys flushing it will fix it[15][15][15][15]
done is done
the biggest thing on these motors is mark all your vacume lines
theres several