PDA

View Full Version : propane question

jordanbennett
03-24-2011, 10:52 PM
alllllriiight guy.. yeah yeah i know, bringing her from the dead.. ive been looking around the internet, learned a bit, but i want to ask how you guys feel about propane set ups. i recently found a setup and looking into running my old beast on her, will mainly be doing lots of wheeling and mudding,
but whats your 2 cents?:D:D

4skin
03-24-2011, 11:07 PM
ran mr 460 on propain good ran in any angle no prob
the bad was 200 litre tank took up lots of bed space
and i could blow through it in a day of playing
got towed to a gas station more than once from strawberry island
sucks when your stuck and are running low on fuel cant send some one for a jerrycan or cary much spare fuel
iswitched back to gas and truck went alot farther on same money

MOOSEHUNTER
03-25-2011, 12:30 AM
sucks when your stuck and are running low on fuel cant send some one for a jerrycan or cary much spare fuel

jordanbennett
03-25-2011, 07:43 AM

thanks for the reply bruce.
ive herd of horror stories about people being stranded, not being able to get fuel. my brother had the same problem aswell, the guy said i would be able to hit kamloops and back and the tanks that he has, not sure if that means there big mofos or not, bed space isnt a huuge deal for me, as i will be running bed sides, and can stuff everything inside somewheres[redneck]
but i understand what your saying and with my luck,... i like to drive on empty....alot.:D

ottoman
03-25-2011, 08:43 AM
i've had propane on a couple trucks. like bruce said you can run it on any angle with no probs. there is no float like in a carb to screw up. defanitly hard to pack extra fuel though. but the big thing i found was it seemed cheaper to fill my tank and go the same distance.also if your empty as long as there are no big hills you can idle a long distance with almost nothing in the tank. the real bad though is rumors of propane being fased oout at gas stations, i don't know how true it is but some people have been telling me this. hope that helps for ya

m j
03-25-2011, 08:44 AM
if you get a wideband O2 setup to tune the propane it will be a lot better then trying to guess what its doing
a BBQ bottle works great as a jerrycan so i dunno why you would need to be towed
for a little more $$ a forklift style tank works as a jerry can too
if you are burning 200l in a day you need to tune it or find whats wrong

get a cardlock account from superior and autogas and you will have fuel almost everywhere for 3cents below the sign prices

timing is crucial to a propane motor, so recurve the distributor. its easy.
all you need is a timing light and a spring kit for your dizzy.

the in bed tank is huge but you can put tanks under the truck between the frame rails like factory. only 80ish litres tho.

used Impco mixer will most likely be wornout and is non rebuildable
this forum has someone that can get great deals on new Impco stuff.
the model E regs are rebuildable

if you get a wideband and new mixer I will help you set it up, show you how to do the ign recurve etc

OHG stuff is the better style but they closed their doors a while ago and I havent found a source for the woodward knockoffs yet

jordanbennett
03-25-2011, 05:43 PM
if you get a wideband O2 setup to tune the propane it will be a lot better then trying to guess what its doing
a BBQ bottle works great as a jerrycan so i dunno why you would need to be towed
for a little more $$ a forklift style tank works as a jerry can too
if you are burning 200l in a day you need to tune it or find whats wrong

get a cardlock account from superior and autogas and you will have fuel almost everywhere for 3cents below the sign prices

timing is crucial to a propane motor, so recurve the distributor. its easy.
all you need is a timing light and a spring kit for your dizzy.

the in bed tank is huge but you can put tanks under the truck between the frame rails like factory. only 80ish litres tho.

used Impco mixer will most likely be wornout and is non rebuildable
this forum has someone that can get great deals on new Impco stuff.
the model E regs are rebuildable

if you get a wideband and new mixer I will help you set it up, show you how to do the ign recurve etc

OHG stuff is the better style but they closed their doors a while ago and I havent found a source for the woodward knockoffs yet

thanks again for the replys guys! helps a ton! mj, i may get your hand if i end up getting this setup, beers on me. the info helps big time, just seems like a great deal, 460 on propane w/ tanks, c6 and transfer case thats gear driven for a good price, just not hugely knowledgeable on propane set ups

m j
03-25-2011, 07:03 PM
I am pretty sure that new ford Patford just dragged home has a recent lordco rebuilt distributor with a propane curve in it

if you go propane you could see if he will sell it

FU Toolbag
03-25-2011, 10:57 PM
I've run it for years. Never a problem. The no fuel problem is simple. Read your fuel guage. I used to have 3 tanks in my truck. One main, and 2 aux. When the main was out, had about 200k on each of the spares.

Murd0c
03-26-2011, 10:40 AM
You can buy woodword and ohg parts from proquip out of alberta. Run a dual fuel system if you are worried about running out in the middle of no where. I'm going to put a landi fuel injection kit on my truck when ever I can get a free tank from work.

m j
03-26-2011, 09:18 PM
link to proquip?

Murd0c
03-26-2011, 10:28 PM
Don't have a link but if I remember I will grab there phone number on monday

old codger
03-27-2011, 09:09 AM
When Propane first became popular, I worked in a shop that installed quite a few but most of them got taken of because of the time it took to fill up the tanks, only one fill up place in town, and usually every body wanted to fill up at the same time!!![36]