PDA

View Full Version : xj on full width axles

redline
03-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Well I been thinkin bout buildin a new truck and was leanin towards an xj and got a line on a 9" ,44 full width combo.
So can I get some feedback from guys runnin fullwidth xj'spros and cons or advice.

D-Ass
03-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Really just do what u want! Personally i think xj on full widths is a little on the gay side because no matter how u try to cover the tires just looks hack unless u are trailering it and than u dont have to worry a bout stick out:dontknow:

Candiass
03-21-2011, 03:51 PM
We are definatley trailering it so no need to cover the tires

redline
03-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Really just do what u want! Personally i think xj on full widths is a little on the gay side because no matter how u try to cover the tires just looks hack unless u are trailering it and than u dont have to worry a bout stick out:dontknow:

I was actually lookin for usefull advice such as how they are in trails,wheelin and maby some build advice. not peoples negative opinion but your right on doin what I want.

dirka dave
03-21-2011, 05:05 PM
Get A Toyota ya dumbass !!

Trailjunkie
03-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Get A Toyota ya dumbass !!he said helpful not babelling from some blithering idiot! lol
wider it is less trails you fit in. depends on the type of wheelin you like man. if you do it strengthen your perches for the weight.

Candiass
03-21-2011, 05:21 PM
daves just bitter since we sold the runner lol move along dave go back to the toy thread :)

redline
03-21-2011, 05:39 PM
i am concerned it would be to wide,definatly dont wanna not go down a trail cause its to tight.

dave i want solid axle. i got somthin in the works where i can get 2 locked axles for no cash thats why i was thinkin this route.

andrewmacc
03-30-2011, 06:38 PM
Also depends on the rims you run. With enough backspacing you end up something like 4" wider or so. Not brutally wide anymore, but obviously not narrow. Then of course the question of hub protection comes up.

So you have a few options:
GM rims with 6" or 7" backspacing
H2 rims with 5 5/8" backspacing
H1 rims with 7" backspacing

The GM and H1 rims will not typically clear the stock steering arm on most full size axles and will require a specific "slanted" hi-steer arm to clear the rim. I believe the GM ones are commonly 17" diameter, and the H1 rims are 16.5" and approximately 8.5" wide (AFAIK), whereas the H2 rims are also 17" and are typically 8.5" to 9.5" wide. The H2 can come in alloy and "chrome" whereas the H1 I believe is steel only, but many (not ALL) come with beadlock-style rims that range from 8-bolt all the way up to 24-bolt beadlocks. They can also be run with inner air locks, and is recommended that you run the PVC inserts as opposed to the runflats which apparently begin to eat up your tire at extremely low PSI.

It also depends on the axles you choose. Certain year axles can be up to 75.5" WMS to WMS for a Dana 60, for example. That is fucking WIDE. I believe those are dually axles with the twin-hub of sorts so you wouldn't run one anyway. Can't remember. The narrowest I believe is 67.5" for a front which is typically Dodge(but is pass-drop and low pinion).

A Corporate 14-bolt rear, however, can be anywhere from 63" WMS (from a cab and chassis DRW) to 67" (SWB/DWB). 63" is barely longer than our stock axles (stock is around 60.5").

Don't forget, however, that with both fullwidth axles like a 60/14 combined you are ranging around almost 1,100 lbs of weight (and then minus that from weight of original axles to get total sum added). This is, of course, unsprung weight, but nonetheless will cause a full-bodied rig to be quite heavy, and gear ratios should be adjusted accordingly (as in going one ratio set up from the "chart recommended" ratio, but that's just a rough recommendation).

I know you're talking about a 9" and a 44, but just an FYI. A 9"/44 won't be as heavy and is probably recommended for a full-width XJ, even with "frame" reinforcement.

BTW, a good rough (definitely not exact) formula is:

AW + 2^(WW - BS) + TW - WW

where AW is Axle Width, WW is Wheel Width, BS is BackSpacing, and TW is Tire Width.