PDA

View Full Version : fuel woes

kamloopsyota
03-16-2011, 09:41 AM
k so the car is a 92 vw jetta with a 96 engine. newer fuel pump and replaced fuel filter(1 year ago). I've scanned the car already for errors-nothing. My problem- Car does not start up unless i give it gas(its fuel injected). It is fully driveable until I stop, either dies or horrible 200 rpm idle. If I drive it abit more the idle comes back up to 800-1000 then it's fine until I turn it off and it sits 5 minutes. Does this sound like fuel fitler/pump or electrical? It was mentioned maybe MAF was messed since its trying to rob more air and choking out the fuel. I dont know if thats right or not. Anyone have an opinion? thanks[cheers]

tchevy
03-16-2011, 06:17 PM
k so the car is a 92 vw jetta with a 96 engine. newer fuel pump and replaced fuel filter(1 year ago). I've scanned the car already for errors-nothing. My problem- Car does not start up unless i give it gas(its fuel injected). It is fully driveable until I stop, either dies or horrible 200 rpm idle. If I drive it abit more the idle comes back up to 800-1000 then it's fine until I turn it off and it sits 5 minutes. Does this sound like fuel fitler/pump or electrical? It was mentioned maybe MAF was messed since its trying to rob more air and choking out the fuel. I dont know if thats right or not. Anyone have an opinion? thanks[cheers]

either a big vacuum leak or an IAC not doing its job for whatever reason u must find out

mini
03-17-2011, 01:23 AM
i would suggest IAC

dirka dave
03-17-2011, 05:28 AM
Idle air control...

kamloopsyota
03-17-2011, 09:27 AM
shhweeet thanks guys. I'll start with that once I wake up. crossing my fingers it is the IAC.

kamloopsyota
03-17-2011, 09:38 AM
just did a search on vw forums. Buddy was saying they didnt have an IAC until OBD2. Refresh my memory but wasnt it 92 that obd1 was mandatory in all new vehicles....or is that obd2? aaaaand, IAC is electronic right....so can i gently clean it with a q-tip and solution or go buy a new one? thanks again

kamloopsyota
03-18-2011, 06:50 PM
woot! Idle air had a haggard ass wiring job. cleaned that up and it she was all good to go. Also found my rad was cracked, so replaced that piece o crap as well. thanks for the answers guys