View Full Version : importing from states.

Punk in Drublic
03-15-2011, 06:37 PM
i know a few of ya have done it. does it have to be fully inspected/road safe before ya bring it over. what if its for a project vehicle? then do ya just need all the paper work in order:dontknow:

03-15-2011, 07:16 PM
no it doesnt need to be inspected before importing. once its imported, you get federal inspection, then an OOP. then you can get it regi'd/insured. the insurance binder gives you coverage from the border to your residence, or inspection facilities.

03-15-2011, 07:18 PM
it does need to be released by the american side before you analy raped on the Canadian side.

Punk in Drublic
03-15-2011, 07:46 PM
yea, the state side wants to make sure its not stolen, taxes paid, yada yada right? then you come over to mother canada (ruski accent) and get fucked up the ass. so what all are they gonna be lookin for before im allowed to get the veihicel to my house to start workin on it. or driving it. im lookin to get another bronco, and there seems to be alot more over there in alot nicer shape.

03-17-2011, 08:20 PM
it does need to be released by the american side before you analy raped on the Canadian side.

Canada customs is not in the business of enforcing US laws...

You SHOULD export it properly from the states, I RECOMEND you export it properly from the states, but that export permit is not REQUIRED to bring it into canada.

As your going down (or even before you go down) stop in at Canada Customs and explain exactly what you plan on doing. They are very approachable and will help guide you through the process...

03-18-2011, 12:21 PM
depends on year of vehicle. i imported a 65 chev pick up.
i had to, prove all recalls were done, submit title and bill of sale to border 72 hours prior to export.
once at u s side of border, they check the vins etc give you some paperwork,
then you drive to can side of border, go in the office, they check vin etc, you pay taxes then your on your way.
you then have 30 days to get it passed an inspection or the vehicle has to be taken back to the states.

thats if you want to insure it.

if its a newer vehicle you have to go through RIV

03-18-2011, 12:59 PM

03-19-2011, 06:11 AM
you dont have to export it out of the US i did it a few times like this. As long as you will never take the vechicle back across the border.Another thing if youre bringing it in for parts and arent going to insure it bring it in as parts only its a different form saves you money that way its only like $85. The cost is also different if the vehicle was built in US or outside then you got to pay duty, if it has ac thats an extra charge too.

03-19-2011, 06:14 AM
and you have as long as you want they say 30 days but i once had a truck for 7 months before i finally got around to doing the inspection. Just call them and ask for an extension tell theem its not road worthy yet they cant make you take the car back to US