PDA

View Full Version : and 6 hours later...

fullsizebronco
03-13-2011, 09:32 PM
i have a whole new respect for mechanics!!! 6 hours no air tools and i only got to here...:mad: the drivers head is unbolted and almost out but the exhaust manifold is sticking on something and i was tired and sore so needed a few beer so i called it a day ill probably borrow a motor hoist so i dont have to fight with it later ... needless to say i really hope it is a blown head gasket .. i also snapped 4 studs 2 in the exhaust manifold and the 2 that are holding the exhaust tube to the upper intake go fuck yourself..what a piss off...

i kept all my push rods and head bolts in order does anybody know if these headbolts are reusable?

from what i see it has hydraulic lifters? does anyone know the torque specs for when i put it back together? for A:head studs B:lifters?

appreciate any help guys its my first time i have done this on a v8

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/fullsizebronco/IMG00526.jpghttp://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/fullsizebronco/IMG00527.jpg

Troy
03-13-2011, 11:39 PM
that all sounds like standard procedure. it would have been easier to take the front clip off and put the front diff on the ground.

as far as the headbolts... they say to not reuse them but if the engine is stock or close to stock and doesnt have anything special done to it, i would just re use all that shit. i have before and havent had problems

4skin
03-14-2011, 12:20 AM
not sure but alot of newer fords use torq to yeald head bolts
newer as in 80s up
your parts guy will be able to tell you going by casting no
on block and heads
what made you think head gaskets are gone
did you do a compresion test?
was it smoking?white
your exaust manifolds have the air pump tubes its been a while but i think they might be whats hanging the head up
needed a rest after that boat anker of a intake heavy bitch lol

dirka dave
03-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Be careful on the exhaust manifold bolts, they have a tendancy to break on them ford engines..

Also check your pushrods for straightness by rolling them on a flat surface.
if you are re-using the cam and lifters they go back in the same spots.

Check head bolts for stretch if possible, If any are rust on the threads its a good indication that you had a head gasket leak.

You could probably reuse them. Torque specs are specific so GET A MANUAL or look online.
it does not matter where they go.

if you are that far into the engine, you might want to check the cam and lifters and replace the timing chain if its got a ton of kms on it.

good luck.

make sure the block and head surfaces are clean and degreased before you reinstall the heads.

fullsizebronco
03-14-2011, 10:06 PM
not sure but alot of newer fords use torq to yeald head bolts
newer as in 80s up
your parts guy will be able to tell you going by casting no
on block and heads
what made you think head gaskets are gone
did you do a compresion test?
was it smoking?white
your exaust manifolds have the air pump tubes its been a while but i think they might be whats hanging the head up
needed a rest after that boat anker of a intake heavy bitch lol

you mean this one lol
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/fullsizebronco/IMG00528.jpg

and i had a huge cloud of white smoke blow out the exhaust when i was hauling ass up a hill and now i have a over heating problem and what looks like bubbles in the rad while running

i still cant get the drivers head off but i have about 4 or 5 inches to see underneath it and pulled the gasket out and it looks great so i t must be the passenger side...

fullsizebronco
03-14-2011, 10:22 PM
Be careful on the exhaust manifold bolts, they have a tendancy to break on them ford engines..

Also check your pushrods for straightness by rolling them on a flat surface.
if you are re-using the cam and lifters they go back in the same spots.

Check head bolts for stretch if possible, If any are rust on the threads its a good indication that you had a head gasket leak.

You could probably reuse them. Torque specs are specific so GET A MANUAL or look online.
it does not matter where they go.

if you are that far into the engine, you might want to check the cam and lifters and replace the timing chain if its got a ton of kms on it.

good luck.

make sure the block and head surfaces are clean and degreased before you reinstall the heads.

haha ya like i said i had broke 2 of the 4 manifold bolts it sucks...it sucks even more because of the manifold not coming off its not letting me lift the head up and out

good call on the push rods i will make sure to do that

im thinking i may have to buy new headbolts the ones in it are fricking tight!!!! im using my breaker bar on most of them and i think some of them look a little worse than the others

did some more work on it tonight but had to many beer before i started so i didnt get much done

fullsizebronco
03-14-2011, 10:25 PM
i am starting to think i am going to pull off the front clip i just did the 92-96 front clip swap so its not fully bolted on anyway i want to try and get this done as fast as possible and i think i may be able to use my impact a little more with it off thanks again for your help guys

dirka dave
03-15-2011, 06:14 AM
Are you done yet ?:dontknow:

C-Dog
03-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Burn it at Postill with Hosers tires

fullsizebronco
03-15-2011, 09:34 PM
Are you done yet ?:dontknow:

im done pulling it apart!....... and i cant see anywhere where the head gasket looks like it failed so i kinda had a oh f*** moment and ripped the thermostat out and wend inside and boiled it and it opened up thank god... so now im kinda left scratching my head the heads both look dirty nothing looks (steam cleaned)

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/fullsizebronco/IMG00529.jpg

youngun
03-15-2011, 09:36 PM
454 BBC?

fullsizebronco
03-15-2011, 09:39 PM
Burn it at Postill with Hosers tires

no... this weekend i plan on hooking a chain to all the burned cars and tow them down to the the bottom to try and get it cleaned up and ready for mud season![36]

fullsizebronco
03-15-2011, 09:40 PM
454 BBC?

hahaha no! bad tyson! 460! BBF!:party0010:

4skin
03-15-2011, 10:46 PM
wat do you expect from a toyota driver lol

Troy
03-15-2011, 11:04 PM
so what was the engine doing that made you think it was the headgaskets. If the headgaskets are blown , you usually will know %100

steam coming out of the exhuast pipe, water coming out of the tailpipe, snot or milky gummy looking shit on the oil fill cap and inside the valve covers, running like a bag of shit when warmed up...

was it any of those symtoms?

dirka dave
03-16-2011, 06:19 AM
could still have a crack in the block.

old codger
03-16-2011, 09:10 AM
May I suggest you take the heads to a machine shop and get the heads Planned to make sure they are flat!! the FORDS that I worked on over the Years all seemed to suffer from Warped Heads! so to save time doing the job twice, they all got the same treatment. Change all the exhaust manifold studs as well ! cause the ones that didnt break on disassembly will most likely break, when you put it together! then you have to remove the manifolds of again!.
JUST a thought, may be save you a few headaches! the machine shop could change the EX studs easier than you, with less busted knuckles!!!

old codger
03-16-2011, 11:20 AM
May I suggest you take the heads to a machine shop and get the heads Planned to make sure they are flat!! the FORDS that I worked on over the Years all seemed to suffer from Warped Heads! so to save time doing the job twice, they all got the same treatment. Change all the exhaust manifold studs as well ! cause the ones that didnt break on disassembly will most likely break, when you put it together! then you have to remove the manifolds of again!.
JUST a thought, may be save you a few headaches! the machine shop could change the EX studs easier than you, with less busted knuckles!!!
I have just read down the Ford site! and am not suprised at the number of HEAD Gasket problems listed there!!!.:confused0006: :confused0006:

old codger
03-16-2011, 12:15 PM
I have just read down the Ford site! and am not suprised at the number of HEAD Gasket problems listed there!!!.:confused0006: :confused0006: When you pull the CAM followers if the face of the followers is not Flat, you know that the cam shaft is worn!, also check if there is a lip around the top edge of each cylinder, if its big you might be farther ahaed to get a Rebuilt Exchange Engine!. HOW MANY KMS on the truck? over 120,000 kms -150,000kms most FORD motors have a tendancy to go SOUTH in a hurry !!!.

fullsizebronco
03-16-2011, 11:00 PM
so what was the engine doing that made you think it was the headgaskets. If the headgaskets are blown , you usually will know %100

steam coming out of the exhuast pipe, water coming out of the tailpipe, snot or milky gummy looking shit on the oil fill cap and inside the valve covers, running like a bag of shit when warmed up...

was it any of those symtoms?

well first thing was the huge cloud!!!of white smoke that came out of my exhaust when i was hauling ass up a hill second is i was overheating after that and i did watch my rad and seen it bubble it also had a bit of a ruff idle but i dont think there is anymore than 4 hours on the truck since it happened i guess i should have done a compression test first to confirm a leaking cylinder but i tend to just jump into things

could still have a crack in the block.
i hope not:confused0006: would really suck considering my buddy just dumped one at the scarp yard...even tho i told him i wanted it...lol

4skin
03-16-2011, 11:42 PM
When you pull the CAM followers if the face of the followers is not flat, you know that the cam shaft is worn!, also check if there is a lip around the top edge of each cylinder, if its big you might be farther ahaed to get a Rebuilt Exchange Engine!. HOW MANY KMS on the truck? over 120,000 kms -150,000kms most FORD motors have a tendancy to go SOUTH in a hurry !!!.

a lifter or cam follower is not flat
they have a crown the midlle is taller than outside
this is so the lifter rotates a flat or convex lifter is a sign of cam wear

fullsizebronco
03-17-2011, 10:43 PM
so anyone know a good place to take heads for inspection / decking? ... kinda leary on doing the heads now that im not sure what was causing my overheating etc..

4skin
03-17-2011, 11:02 PM
lordco does pressure testing and surfacing
some performance shops use them
how do i know this
cost me a extra 50 bucks after driveing to langley
would not have know if i hadnt been there to pick them up
when lordco dropped them off

fullsizebronco
03-17-2011, 11:12 PM
haha all right thanks! ill call them tomorrow what did it cost to get yours checked ?

4skin
03-18-2011, 12:40 AM
just phone them was a couple years ago
i just remember the50 bux it cost me for him to phone lordco

old codger
03-18-2011, 08:59 AM
a lifter or cam follower is not flat
they have a crown the midlle is taller than outside
this is so the lifter rotates a flat or convex lifter is a sign of cam wear
Most people on this site would not know that, as they would probably would
never see a new one,but I thought I would bring it to his attention, if he just did the heads,assembled together and found he was down on power! and pissed of at the time and money that he had spent!!!.

78bronco
03-18-2011, 11:47 AM
really 6hrs??? i pulled the topend off one in the wreckers with no air tools in 2hrs......... just saying :)

fullsizebronco
03-18-2011, 10:44 PM
really 6hrs??? i pulled the topend off one in the wreckers with no air tools in 2hrs......... just saying :)

it all good lol thats why i said i had a whole new respect for mechanics i have never done this on a v8 and i got pissed off real quick with breaking bolts on my exhaust among other broken studs etc.

and looks like its going to cost me the same to check the heads as it will be to get them shaved

4skin
03-19-2011, 12:56 AM
definatley get them checked could be cracked inside exahst port
considering your cylenders dont show any steam cleaned pistons

fullsizebronco
03-19-2011, 03:36 AM
ok sounds good

fullsizebronco
03-20-2011, 12:27 AM
definatley get them checked could be cracked inside exahst port
considering your cylenders dont show any steam cleaned pistons

i forgot to mention that all of these symptoms came up shortly after the truck was a little stuck lol
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/fullsizebronco/IMG00174.jpg
btw that garbage floating in the water was not from me

4skin
03-20-2011, 01:31 AM
are you shure the exaust system wasnt just full of water
it can take a while to stop steaming and it wont drain out of muffler
if the drain hole in muffler is plugged
say with muddy goo
do your self a favour and drill a small hole in the back of the muffler
and see how much drains out
a small hole 1/8 or smaller wont make it noisy and you could put a pop rivet in it this could be a[1b]moment
there might not have been a motor problem
when you rip on it on a hill the temperature in the exaust goes up
causing the water to steam
i blew a motor in my car and it smoked for weeks after i put the new motor in

fullsizebronco
03-20-2011, 10:46 AM
well guessing that this was not last may but the may long weekend before that and its hot as hell here in the summer im sure there wont be water in it now... other than the huge cloud that popped out i never really watched the exhaust i checked for bubbles in my rad and it was bubbling slowly over heated unless i was going down the highway had a bit of a ruff idle so i guess assumed the worse... maybe ill get them to shave the heads down to bump the compression up lol this truck hauled ass before so i hope its not the block...

78bronco
03-21-2011, 02:21 AM
meh those efi heads like to crack on the intake seat and run toward the spark plug hole this happens more so on a over heated bbf the exaust might have small cracks just make sure to get them magnafluxed and get 60 tho shaved off the deck and get the intake decked to macth the new angles and gain a whole point in compression.. and give monroe cylinder heads on the west side a call he knows his stuff

old codger
03-21-2011, 08:22 AM
With the truck sitting that deep in water, how long? how much water got
into engine down the dipstick tube? maybe you should DRAIN all the oils just to save yourself a lot of future problems, the trans and Diffs usualy have vents on that let sitting water run into those places, they get expensive to fix!![cheers] [cheers] [cheers]

fullsizebronco
03-21-2011, 05:17 PM
nothing was in the motor or tranny believe it or not... the diffs was just assumed that they probably where full of it but i have not bothered to look all other fluids have been changed anyway long ago as this was 2 years ago just was living and working out of town so never had any time for it until now

old codger
03-24-2011, 06:49 PM
while you have the motor in pieces! are you going to get the Rad cleaned and flushed, being parked in that DIRTY WATER !!! all sorts of seeds/leaves/ little sticks/bugs/garbage gets stuck in the honeycomb core, and will quickly
overheat you newly fixed up motor!!!!.

fullsizebronco
03-26-2011, 03:37 AM
thanks for the heads up but it is clean as soon as the truck came down from camping it got a good pressure washing

Punk in Drublic
03-26-2011, 09:38 AM
if that thing has an oil or trans cooler check behind it for mud. i had a big bnm cooler on my sploder, behind it was acaked in mud, so i was workin with like 75% of my rad. it didnt like thoe coq after that. popped a hg in merrit last summer and thats where the sploder stayed.

78'460
03-27-2011, 03:19 AM
BBC with the dist. in the front, Wouldn't that be interesting.

BBF FTW!!!

http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww156/7bronco8/IMG_0861.jpg

fullsizebronco
03-28-2011, 07:34 PM
if that thing has an oil or trans cooler check behind it for mud. i had a big bnm cooler on my sploder, behind it was acaked in mud, so i was workin with like 75% of my rad. it didnt like thoe coq after that. popped a hg in merrit last summer and thats where the sploder stayed.

thats shitty i would hate to leave a vehicle somewhere... but i have been putting getting the heads checked on hold i have been looking at a trailer online that i want to buy and at this point i think thats a way better idea [36][36][36]

78bronco
03-31-2011, 09:33 PM
BBC with the dist. in the front, Wouldn't that be interesting.

BBF FTW!!!

http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww156/7bronco8/IMG_0861.jpg

summers brothers racing makes a kit to that ...... just another way that the cheby kids try to keep up with the cool motors