PDA

View Full Version : sterling 10.25 Q's

fullsizebronco
03-07-2011, 09:40 PM
i have a lot of slop in my rear diff at the pinion i blew the last one out completely and i dont want that to happen again i have no idea how to set up gears when the last diff went i just swapped in a whole new one ......what i was wondering was if there is anyone in the kelowna area that would sit down with me with some beers or etc.. and fix it with me so that next time i have this problem i will be able to fix it myself

anyway thanks.[cheers]

fullsizebronco
03-07-2011, 10:09 PM
oh and i kinda want to avoid buying another diff because this has all new breaks seals etc.. just the stupid pinion is loose piss me off i really have to get my driveshaft balanced .... i wish pick a part did not bend all of theirs!

Punk in Drublic
03-07-2011, 10:19 PM
my pinion had a bit of slop, sterling, welded, and heavily abused ant it never blew up on me. guy at a shop told me it would probly never be a proble,. and he ran 38s and a big block and welded on his. so id say leave it, should last longer than the brakes anyway.

fullsizebronco
03-08-2011, 01:27 PM
This is the 3rd sterling in my truck I don't want to have to have a 4th lol

Punk in Drublic
03-08-2011, 02:02 PM
wow. never heard of them blowin up like that. how are your driveline angles. what are ya doin to the thing? i cant even think of anyone whos blown up one.

Apathy
03-08-2011, 02:30 PM
change your pinion bearings.

FU Toolbag
03-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Measure your driveshaft. I should have a couple here.

fullsizebronco
03-08-2011, 06:21 PM
wow. never heard of them blowin up like that. how are your driveline angles. what are ya doin to the thing? i cant even think of anyone whos blown up one.

haha first one was from pulling a a guy out of a mud pit thats what started it all ripped a bunch of teeth off the ring gear and proceeded to limp it out of postill i did make it out but as soon as i made it 1/2 home the rear end locked up and spit the driveshaft out so it got a few dents etc and that was just before i moved to dawson creek so installed a new 10.25 and its pinion gave out on me one day when i was downshifting down a hill as i was just about to pull into my house so i got lucky there and so i installed another 10.25 lol so im assuming it being a diesel and my shaft possible being out of balance and ...i may drive my truck like a race car lol and all stock drive line until a few months ago when the lift was installed

fullsizebronco
03-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Measure your driveshaft. I should have a couple here.

thanks ill measure it as soon as i have a chance!

fullsizebronco
03-08-2011, 09:35 PM
change your pinion bearings.

you think doing just the bearings will fix the slop? im thinking it needs shimming i can turn my drive shaft back and forth like 3-8ths to a half inch...ish if that makes sense

youngun
03-08-2011, 09:46 PM
install 14 bolt hahahaha

trencher
03-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Dude i have never heard of them failing so much. Mine needed a full set of bearings years ago...but thats cuz there was water sitting in the diff before i bought it and the bearings were pitted. Howled like a mofo for 2 years first though :D
I'd say your drive shaft is to blame. Spend the money on a good and straight one. Sterlings are tough as nails so shouldnt be that many issues. Have you reused the pinion nut? If it loosens off it can cause a failure. Should always use a new one.....or lots of loctite :D

D.R.800X2
03-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Is it sideplay in the pinion or excessive backlash? Sideplay could be from over tightening the pinion nut, over crushing the crush sleeve causing to much pinion bearing preload which would fry your bearings.Backlash could be a carrier bearing gone bad and worse case your housing or bearing cap is worn letting the case walk over.

fullsizebronco
03-09-2011, 07:49 PM
install 14 bolt hahahaha

never.....

fullsizebronco
03-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Is it sideplay in the pinion or excessive backlash? Sideplay could be from over tightening the pinion nut, over crushing the crush sleeve causing to much pinion bearing preload which would fry your bearings.Backlash could be a carrier bearing gone bad and worse case your housing or bearing cap is worn letting the case walk over.

im thinking just backlash

Dude i have never heard of them failing so much. Mine needed a full set of bearings years ago...but thats cuz there was water sitting in the diff before i bought it and the bearings were pitted. Howled like a mofo for 2 years first though :D
I'd say your drive shaft is to blame. Spend the money on a good and straight one. Sterlings are tough as nails so shouldnt be that many issues. Have you reused the pinion nut? If it loosens off it can cause a failure. Should always use a new one.....or lots of loctite :D

i believe it is the drive shaft shaft as well i guess fu toolbag may have one i jut have to get around to measuring mine up and i did notice my nut was loose i have snugged it up but i guess if you get a chance to look at it this weekend we may have a better idea whats going on

Troy
03-09-2011, 11:01 PM
those rearends are notorious for having pinion bearing and pinion shaft related problems.... i would suggest getting new bearings. the driveshaft vibes kill bearings.

Deathtrap
03-12-2011, 09:28 PM
If your truck is a 92, it will have a shorter pinion, ford had problems with the pinions, mainly the splines were to short causing the pinion yoke to prematurly wear out and loosen off the nut which eventually lead to bearing failure. 93 and up trucks got the new Long pinion 10.25 which had longer splines and pretty much got rid of all the problems.

fullsizebronco
03-13-2011, 09:09 PM
its a 94 but i swapped in a 89 ish axle