PDA

View Full Version : Welding an IFS third?

BC_4RUNNER
03-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Ok so when I first lifted my truck someone mentioned to me that I should weld up my front. I decided against it at the time as this was a daily driver from Poco to Langley everyday. Now the truck is a bit more worked in and I only drive 3.5 km to work and I thinking of giving it a shot.

Has anyone ever had any success with welding up an IFS front or is the 7.5" too weak to handle the stress of being welded on 35" tires. Or will it be the CV's that I have to worry about? I have manual hubs now so it should be ok as a daily driver or will this still afftect my turning?

I know some of these question may seem stupid but there is the obvious answers and there are the peoples real expieriance with trying this.

harvester_sorrow
03-05-2011, 08:32 PM
i believe 4skin welded his, he should have some first hand experience. I would be packing some spare parts if do it.

Jayota
03-05-2011, 09:07 PM
I hear your turning radius in 4wd gets worse..

I'd go with a locker if you got the $$$

Punk in Drublic
03-05-2011, 09:12 PM
straight axel, or stay open. please dont weld an ifs.

Toyquad
03-05-2011, 11:57 PM
welded front has no affect on driving while in 2wd.

yes turning is harder in 4wd, but your locked, i'll trade hard steering for both tires spinning anyday.

welded with ifs will work until it breaks. when it breaks depends on how you drive it, ifs has limits. stay with in it and you'll be fine.

BC_4RUNNER
03-06-2011, 12:40 AM
The idea of locking it is so I don't have to be as hard on it. If I had the money for a locker I would put it in the rear because I will always have a v6 rear rear end so its worth it to put a proper locker in and save tires and wear and tear. As the IFS will hopefully get removed this year I figured I should just weld it and have some fun trying it out, see if a locked front and open back is better if you are only going to do one. Soemone told me that once and I was never sure. What have you guys found, if you can only have one locker do you put it in the front first or the rear?

4skin
03-06-2011, 02:41 AM
welded front on mine beat it hard on 33 broke a cv that was allready clicking when i welded it i still have the welded front with 410 gears if its right ratio for you greg you can have it

Griswold
03-06-2011, 08:51 AM
The Front is better to have it locked as it will pull the truck up and over things, the locked rear would be trying to push you up and over things which would make the rear end hop around when the front end is binding on something.

If you're only locking one the front is where the weight is and it would be the better one to lock..

Toyquad
03-06-2011, 09:22 AM
agreed weld the front. front end has way more traction then rear.

ifs parts are cheap with ppl do sas.

BC_4RUNNER
03-06-2011, 09:44 AM
So who wants to a weld a third on this lovely day?

vajayjay
03-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Take Bruces then if you don't like it can just swap back, or is the ratio wrong?

BC_4RUNNER
03-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Ratio is wrong. I need 4.56 I have 2 spares in the garage I just have to check the ratio on them

glopedawg
03-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Oh man, 4runner, welding a ifs front diff sounds like a nightmare to me. They're not like the rear thirds in toyotas. I would imagine if you were runnin some 35's, and got your tires bound up in some tight ruts or something, cv's would instanty go, or your r&p would. Am I the only person that thinks this is a bad idea? If not, nevermind

BC_4RUNNER
03-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Both are east to swap parts and when I first did my lift everyone said I would wreck cv's with my 35's and so I stock piled them. Well 3 years later and I am still one my first set of cv's so I guess it's time to test the limits of these things.

glopedawg
03-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Haha well you seem to have a good supply of backup cv's. If your wheeling it prett hard it wouldn't be a bad idea to carry around some spare axle shafts too, those 27 spline shafts aren't the greatest in the front end of those trucks. Anyways go weld it up and wheel it hard and see what happens.[36]

harvester_sorrow
03-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Most people say its a bad idea. But you have spare parts to carry and to swap back to stock if you don't like it. Nothing to lose but time. You can always do the one hub unlock trick for the tight turns. Then wait for that side to snap because all the torque it on it.:D

4skin
03-07-2011, 12:53 AM
i drained the gear lube welded it up poured old lube back in didnt wory about slag
figured it would just go bang
lasted 6 months 350000k on cvs
riped shock mounts off several times
tore upper control arm mount off frame
then did sas
so i wasnt a pussy on it
i beat on it
oh and dont do the unlock one hub thing
you put all the drive load on one axle and bang

BC_4RUNNER
03-07-2011, 02:14 AM
If it lasted you 6 months it should last me years with the amount I go out:D