PDA

View Full Version : Dakota front end

78'460
02-26-2011, 07:06 PM
So a while ago I replaced upper driver side ball joint, Passenger hub unit, Passenger cv shaft, passenger side inner and outter tie rod ends, just yesterday I jacked the truck up, upper passenger ball joint shot, and inner and outter tie rod ends on the driver side. So I get them, Put them in, Go test drive it, Steering is solid but wheel is at 10 o'clock goin straight. When I turn sharply to the right something is binding, Got an alignment thinking that was my problem, Turns out it was'nt im at home in langley now a cranked er right to come into the driveway and it binds the same way, Get my brother to drive back and forth while I look and something is defentely rubbing or binding but I cant see what, You guys think my cv shaft on the driver side is gone now?

Always broke
02-26-2011, 08:32 PM
You probably didn't mark the old tie rods correctly when you changed them do a quick tape measure alignment then get it to an alignment shop.

On a side note the ball joints on those things are horrible , the geometry is all wrong but you can help it by only using the Napa chassis Ball joints in they will outlast every other type for that application . I had a customer that was wareing them out every three months , After we changed them to the napa ones it was over a year and they were still good .

78'460
02-27-2011, 01:52 PM
You probably didn't mark the old tie rods correctly when you changed them do a quick tape measure alignment then get it to an alignment shop.

On a side note the ball joints on those things are horrible , the geometry is all wrong but you can help it by only using the Napa chassis Ball joints in they will outlast every other type for that application . I had a customer that was wareing them out every three months , After we changed them to the napa ones it was over a year and they were still good .

The inner tie rod end just threads tight into the center peice, Then I counted 24 threads from outter onto inner. Done up best I could, Took it in for alignment, Truck its striaght as can be going down the road but full steer to the right, Something on the driver side is hitting, Nothing I could visually see though :S

78'460
02-27-2011, 07:27 PM
I figured it out, Fucking napa. Usually I go to lordco but they didnt have it in stock and I needed one, Well right hand and left hand sides are different, They are offset to one side to clear the rim at full lock steer, I got a RH side one, It has made a mess of my rim, And I got the front end aligned which cost 92 dollars or some shit. So now im going into napa pissed off making them pay for a re- align which is 92 bucks and give me the right part, They fucked my rim and my time changing it so just asking for the alignment to get paid for is fair. Asshole, /Rant over lol