PDA

View Full Version : Tow rig security issues

'Balmer
02-18-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm thinking that, at some point in the future, I may want to buy a tow rig and trailer rather than drive my rig on the street. My biggest apprehension is security of my tow rig.
For those of you that trailer your rigs, have you had theft/vandalism issues with your tow rig while you're out wheeling? I'm thinking that it would take away from my wheeling fun if I'm worrying about my tow rig so just looking for some input.
Do you guys park on FSR's or on pavement? Any tricks/suggestions for keeping a tow rig and trailer safe near the trailhead?

[cheers]

jonny6door
02-18-2011, 11:26 AM
ive never had any problems, but i have heard of people having problems leaving thier trucks up in the bush when we shuttle up to go mountain biking. when i trailer my truck up i always park on the FSR just off to the side like a pull out or a really wide part of the road. or else just park in a parking lot somewhere, where people are always driving by or comming and going. you just dont want to leave it in the middle of nowhere. its usually pretty safe parking where snowmobilers unload and leave thier trucks. i usually lock up all my chains and binders in the truck because thats really the only things people will rip off.

Dreded
02-18-2011, 12:08 PM
when my friends and I go quadding we leave our trucks/tents etc setup down wherever we camped for hours on end and have yet to have an issue and probably do this on average every other weekend all year round.. if you are towing a trailer make sure to have a GOOD locking hitch pin... it seems people will grab anything readily available but not break a window etc. so put your cooler/gas/chains/ropes in your truck and its all good :p

brovo26
02-18-2011, 09:15 PM
if you have removable ramps take them off and drive your truck over them that way no one takes them and good locks on the trailer coupler

harvester_sorrow
02-18-2011, 10:46 PM
I've done it for years dirtbiking/quading/carting. Usualy just park where the gravel starts or soon after. Make sure you have nothing visable and anything easily ripped off is locked. Like already said lock up your loading, tie down gear. Sucks to come back and have no way of loading or tieing down you stuff. I also use "the club" on the steering wheel.

'Balmer
02-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I'm happilly surprised that there's been as few issuse as there has for you. Good to know that tow rigs aren't the targets I thought they might be. If I go this route it will be with a cheap ol' Ford and a well used trailer I'm sure so that might help too...

Apathy
02-23-2011, 11:57 AM
i just lock it all up. if somebody wants to steel my trailer, they better have a good set of bolt cutters.

i've left my rig on a trailhead for 4 days.. never had an issue. YET

78'460
02-25-2011, 03:23 AM
Just leave a sign *Smile, Your on camera* *Trespass and you will be shot*

Make people think twice, Looking in the bush around for anyone watchin. But still keep it all locked up

Dreded
02-25-2011, 12:23 PM
if you have removable ramps take them off and drive your truck over them that way no one takes them and good locks on the trailer coupler

I just bought nice 11' aluminum folding ramps for my quad deck and decided to do this last weekend... while out on the trail I was thinking "All it would take is a jack-all" so my recommendation is to get some good quality locks and lock them to the axle as well :p

'Balmer
02-25-2011, 01:13 PM
I just bought nice 11' aluminum folding ramps for my quad deck and decided to do this last weekend... while out on the trail I was thinking "All it would take is a jack-all" so my recommendation is to get some good quality locks and lock them to the axle as well :p

Good point :cool:

youngun
02-25-2011, 03:53 PM
parked my dads truck and car trailer at the start of the fsr often, have not had any problems yet, along as its in a semi high traffic area, your chains, load binders, straps, ramps, etc are bolted down good or locked up you should be fine. I have never had any problems

Happypants
02-25-2011, 04:20 PM
Never had any real issues, just random dirkas stacking empty beer cases on my truck, I usually park on my ramps so they don't disseapear but other than that no problems at all,

harvester_sorrow
02-25-2011, 07:38 PM
When I'm not lazy I use a bike U lock to secure my ramps. Even when left unlocked their still there when I get back.

FU Toolbag
02-25-2011, 08:32 PM
When I'm not lazy I use a bike U lock to secure my ramps. Even when left unlocked their still there when I get back.

I just don't use ramps.

fullsizebronco
02-27-2011, 09:55 PM
I just don't use ramps.

thats just because your trailer is sick! [36]

stylus
03-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Only been towing my rig for a year now, and havent had any issues with my diesel getting screwed with.

Theres usually 5 or 6 other tow rigs beside ya too.