PDA

View Full Version : 460 dual fule setup?

skyjacker
02-12-2011, 05:34 PM
have a 92 f350 with a fule injected 460 in it on gas, lookin to do a dual fule gas/propane setup on it , i know this is possible on carb motors just not to shure about the dual fule on a fule injected , anyone done something like this before or have any information

thanx[cheers]

4skin
02-12-2011, 05:51 PM
yes there is a set up for that
but dual fuel is a comprimise

Punk in Drublic
02-12-2011, 06:19 PM
go with straight propane, build it right and get a big ass tank.

skyjacker
02-12-2011, 09:01 PM
ya i was debating on going straight propane , but id kinda still like to be able to have gas for haulin heavy loads , this is for my 1 ton flatdeck tow truck , id like to have the propane for longer highway drives and the gas for the climbin hills when you need the extra power :confused0006:

Punk in Drublic
02-12-2011, 10:03 PM
build the motor for propane and you wont loose any power. theres a new setup(kinda pricey i imagine) that uses an ecu and o2 sensors n shit, makes great power.

4skin
02-12-2011, 11:29 PM
build the motor for propane and you wont loose any power. theres a new setup(kinda pricey i imagine) that uses an ecu and o2 sensors n shit, makes great power.
its a direct injection set up replaces fuel injectors with propain injectors
when i drove tow truck we had a couple propain trucks
hated driving them try finding propain at 2 in the morning in richmond
or surrey fine if you know were propain stations are
and dont think the savings are there to justify cost of conversion imo

Punk in Drublic
02-12-2011, 11:42 PM
i dont realy either, but the options are out there.

fullsizebronco
02-12-2011, 11:44 PM
the availability of propane is one of the reasons i decided to stick with just gas

4skin
02-12-2011, 11:51 PM
it sucks geting another driver to come and drag your ass back to mission
because you ran out of propain

skyjacker
02-13-2011, 11:46 AM
ya verry good points guys , i think ill just leave it a gasser for now and see what its like then if need be ill look into propane , i only rilly use the truck on the weekends for hauling scrap , so finding propane wouldint be that big of a deal there are 2 local stations in mission here that have it plus if i could have a dual fule id always have the gas there for backup

thanx for all the info guys

FU Toolbag
02-14-2011, 12:38 AM
Run 2 tanks. One main and a smaller backup. getting propane is never a real problem. Cardlocks. There are setups for dual fuel, but it just sucks for both. I was amazed on my tbi chev to run propane I just disconected the fuel pump and drove it away. I've been told the older fords can be worked that way as well but I haven't done it.

I'm still a fan of proane and will have it on most of mine.

skyjacker
02-16-2011, 12:40 AM
Run 2 tanks. One main and a smaller backup. getting propane is never a real problem. Cardlocks. There are setups for dual fuel, but it just sucks for both. I was amazed on my tbi chev to run propane I just disconected the fuel pump and drove it away. I've been told the older fords can be worked that way as well but I haven't done it.

I'm still a fan of proane and will have it on most of mine.

ya i only use the truck locally and there are acouple stations around here that have propane , im gonna run it with the gas first see what its like , mabe down the road ill build the motor for propane and do the conversion [cheers]

fullsizebronco
02-16-2011, 09:32 PM
im sure you will be alot more happy going that rout

4skin
02-16-2011, 10:31 PM
the 460 needs least mods to rin propain they already have hardend seats and valves
had 460 in my 72 on propain if i tuned it for power fuel milage sucked
other way power sucked
it got better economy on gas