PDA

View Full Version : Hot Tub in a Utillity trailer

keadyn
02-06-2011, 03:33 PM
So had the idea for a while to make a hot tub. Have found lots of natural places but there all under snow now, or up roads that tend to have slides this time of year.go fuck yourself

So the next best thing is truck bed, but I don't have a truck, so the next best thing is a trailer.

Not great at math, but water is heavy 63 pounds per cubic foot so keep that in mind. I rebuilt my trailer last year and used decent materials. Also I had a good welder redo the welds and make the trailer square agian. All in all, it's in tip top shape and I really did not want to fuck it up.

So here is a quick buying guide

utility pump from home depot 1/6 horse 2000gph $60
bucket to put the pump in when filling the trailer so you don't suck sand up
1/2 OD soft copper tubing 25 feet (longer would be better) $35
garden hoses to hack up $40(get medium quality as the cheap ones will melt)
battery and inverter $200(check your sump for it's watt usage to figure out how big the inveter should be)
BBQ (nice to have an old piece of shit one as FSR are bumpy)
Tarp I used a 20 by 30 for a 4X8 24 inch high trailer $50
Wood for "jack stands"

1. Try to find a spot close to water as lifting water is very hard to do. Anything more then 10 of head is bad.

2. Next I had to support the entire trailer as the axle and tires would not take the load. Easy enough, I made 5 jack stands for the 4 corner and 1 for the middle.

3. Create heat with fire or BBQ (will go into pros and cons latter)

4. Pump inside the bucket, which was sunk in the river

5. garden hose from the pump to the copper coil

6. Hot water hose into the trailer

7. wait untill trailer is full

8. quickly move pump from river to trailer. Add some bleach to kill any nasties

9. Cover trailer with a 2nd smaller tarp and then put abunch of blankets old sleepign bags ect.. ontop to keep the heat in. Think hot tub cover

10 wait untill hot then drink ass off in hotub and pass out.oh yeah

Timings
50ish cubic feet of water took 2.5 hours to fill
Every 2 hours we gained 30F in water temp
Bigger coil or a more effecient heating system should cut this down.

A few very bad things can happen if your not carefull. Try not to electrocute any one, don't buy some cheap non CSA /ULC pump. Make sure all your power cords are in good shape ect.. ect..

120VAC and water are good ways to make you dead.

If the water stops flowing through the copper coil and heat is still being applied to the coil several bad things will happen. The copper will melt and your hot tub dreams are over. Steam will start coming out where the hot water had been coming out. Sometimes it can shoot out like a cannon. If the water stops and then starts moving agian the water will be scalding hot for awhile and will badly burn people.

I was dumb and forgot the hose for the BBQ so we had to use a fire. [j]
We had a few times when the battery went dead and we had to run like hell and get the next battery up and running. The first time I almost burnt the coil, one of the last times we had major steam shooting out the end. In the end while a fire is free I think a BBQ is safer as you can turn it off and remove the copper coil quickly. Also with a BBQ you can use less garden hose as the BBQ can be alot closer to the Tub

Up coming mods.
Better hot tub cover
Bigger longer coil
Going to try the cheapest rad we can get from the wreckers as see how it works. If we can get it clean enough
Cheers[cheers]

PS woodlake, weaver and 20 mile bay are all locked. But there is a camp host at Chehalis river site that will give you any of the keys for a deposit and the nightly camping fee. I did not know this which is why the tub is beside a river

4skin
02-06-2011, 06:14 PM
use a rv water pump its 12 volt a lot safer
a inverter uses power to change it to 110 your battery will last way longer
great idea though

Trailjunkie
02-06-2011, 06:17 PM
i see a problem,... you will only fit 3 maby 4 naked woman in there.. better make it bigger.

Lieutenant Johnson
02-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Bahahahhahah. Nice work !

keadyn
02-06-2011, 07:34 PM
the rv pumps work good for heating but suck to fill the tub as they have no lift.

Happypants
02-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Meh, not bad, back of a truck works better,

fullsizebronco
02-06-2011, 08:25 PM
i see a problem,... you will only fit 3 maby 4 naked woman in there.. better make it bigger.

hahaha awesome! [36] [36] [36]

Troy
02-06-2011, 08:28 PM
hey mike, its troy, we went camping on new years...

the mobile hot tub looks good! what happened to your fire box idea??

SemiRunner
02-06-2011, 10:43 PM
He got lazy

Griswold
02-07-2011, 08:20 AM
That brings back memories from the 80's

glopedawg
02-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Redneck hot tub! Gotta love their ingenuity!

harvester_sorrow
02-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Looks like a good set up. Needs more copper though. Where did you get your copper from? I want to try some thinner stuff. I got 3/4, heavy duty but not efficient. I also got a 2 stroke pump off craiglist for $110 too fill the tub with. It would take about 15 mins to fill that trailer.

Anyone try using a house radiator?

keadyn
02-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Well I need some one to cut and weld in my 3 inch sprinkler pipes into the 55 gallon drum. Also that drum idea is for larger pits not my tiny ass trailer.

Any plumbing store will carry soft copper pipe. I deal with andrew sheret http://www.sheret.com/locations.html#

It was a good start nothing more, by summer it will be epic

fullsizebronco
02-07-2011, 08:49 PM
its funny that it seems like an awesome idea and i would live to do it myself some time! but if i ever came across this in the bush it would be a surprise lol

SemiRunner
02-07-2011, 11:37 PM
it better be epic by summer we just gotta find a big enough hole so we dont have to dig

skyjacker
02-10-2011, 10:23 PM
thats awsome always wanted to make one of those[cheers]

ddog75blazer
02-11-2011, 03:44 PM
nicely done [36]

Stetson
02-14-2011, 09:27 AM
Use to do that often, once upon a time in the younger years

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m238/MikeStaff/DSC00510.jpg?t=1297704311

Honky
02-14-2011, 09:31 AM
yeah we used to build tubs at every camp.....just stopped doing it now. I just got tired of building them and not going in I guess

Nice set up Stetson

Stetson
02-14-2011, 09:41 AM
yeah we used to build tubs at every camp.....just stopped doing it now. I just got tired of building them and not going in I guess

Nice set up Stetson

You gave me lots of inspiration with those tubs back in the day, but I know what you mean. Its a lot more fun to have someone else bring the gear, set it up, and sit back and watch. . . .

keadyn
02-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Thats a nice setup in the lake, I need to get torches.

I just bought a tent trailer so no more hot tub in a box unless I get a buddy to drag it up for me

Little Samurai
02-20-2011, 06:50 AM
Looks like a great set up. If you keep using the inverter you can buy short extension cords or power bars with GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) protection built in. We use them on industrial job sites in any outdoor or wet location. They might cost a few bucks but a life is worth it IMO.

BuckNaked
02-20-2011, 06:55 AM
you better hope the sides of that trailer dont blow out