PDA

View Full Version : Drivers side drop Dana 300

cannonfodder
01-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Is there a transfercase that will swap into place of a Dana 300 with a driverside front output shaft?

homeboy
01-26-2011, 09:51 PM
you can rotate the case to drivers side drop with clocking rings or stak replace a case unit that turn the case into drivers side drop

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_153.htm

http://www.northwestfab.com/tcaseclockingrings.html

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295010

there are tons of vendors who make clocking rings and flip kits for the 300

http://www.stak4x4.com/Dana_300/replace-a-case.htm

or get an atlas t case if you got money and a NWF black box in front of it if you are running a manual trans.

I believe depending on what spline count of 300 you have you can use a 231/241 t case but I wouldn't waste your time and money on that stupid idea.

andrewmacc
01-27-2011, 01:33 AM
Been looking into this as well.
From what I can recall:

- the Scout Dana 300 is not the desired case for us. It uses a different bolting pattern application that will adapt/bolt to a Dana 20, or something. Can't remember. Something like that. Anyway, they use a weird bolt pattern.

- there are two version of the Jeep Dana 300, the shorty and the long. They are one and the same in terms of parts availability, one of them was more popular at one point because there were no aftermarket replacement output shafts for one. Regardless, this may be helpful to consider simply as a function of driveline length.

- TECHNICALLY, you don't need a flip adaptor. You still need a Dana 300 to AX-15/AW4 adaptor because of the bolt pattern differences if that's what it's bolting to.. however, doing this requires plugging and drilling of new holes in the case and it's therefore worth getting the proper adaptor. It's just good information to know anyway.

- I believe, with Cherokees, it can be difficult to clock flat, there are very tight clearances and you may have to clock it slightly down to make room for the cable shifters if you aren't willing to cut into the floor. I think somebody said they were able to keep it clocked 5 degrees down and still maintain a flat bottom, but I can't remember if he cut.

- twin cases (as in, running the Dana 300 off of an NP231, etc) is not recommended unless you run a girdle for it.. the Dana 300 case likes to crack under stress if it's hanging off of another transfercase. So the conjecture goes.

- run aftermarket shifters (twin sticks). The originals are apparently pretty bad.

- LoMax 4:1 gears are purportedly better than the TeraLow 4:1. If you are a hard driver, some people have broken numerous gears from the Tera kit. LoMax gears are one-piece as opposed to the two-piece Tera gears, and are just generally thicker.

Anyway, I know that wasn't the original question, but maybe it's nice to have some info, too.

But yeah, clocking and flip rings are pretty cheap, sub $200. The Dana 300 is a very popular application for driver's side drop. It's pretty much a bolt-in application when you have the flip adaptor installed.

However... does anyone know where I can find one in the Lower Mainland? I can't find one. :\

cannonfodder
01-27-2011, 06:03 AM
I have a SM 420 with a chevy bell and AA adapter to the short 300. I'd like to bolt a 6.2 diesel to it but need a driverside drop to match my Ford HP 44 front housing. Sounds like its possible. Thanks for the advice.

homeboy
01-27-2011, 05:59 PM
However... does anyone know where I can find one in the Lower Mainland? I can't find one. :\

What a clocking ring?

I'm sure B at jeep thrills could bring one in or get the NWF clocking ring they offer, they are on the island.

cannonfodder
01-28-2011, 04:51 AM
So the general consensus is that this will live running upside down?

Apathy
01-28-2011, 05:20 AM
there is more too it.. do some searching.
after you get done with a D300 flip kit (which i really don't like) you are 90% of the way to a Stak D300 replace a case.
AND you still stuck with the shitty D300 case.

I got a good D300 for doner gears and put them all into a Stak case... so nice...

however, if you got the coin... just get an Atlas.

cannonfodder
01-28-2011, 05:31 AM
You're right Just bite the bullet and do it right the first time.

Apathy
01-28-2011, 06:01 AM
If you look in the nissan section there is a thread of me installing a doubler.
you can see what the stak D300 is.

andrewmacc
01-30-2011, 09:33 AM
And if you're putting it behind a hugely torquey engine like that... change the output shafts. From what I hear, they're prone to breaking under big power.

The problem is, you have to purchase the 300 and then put in like $1,500 to make it totally bulletproof. Not that it's necessary to put that much into it, but if you want that thing to basically never break, that's what you have to do.

There's nothing wrong with a flip kit. Maybe it's a particular brand you didn't like? But you're right, those Stak replace a case's are friggin beautiful.

Apathy
01-30-2011, 09:44 AM
And if you're putting it behind a hugely torquey engine like that... change the output shafts. From what I hear, they're prone to breaking under big power.

The problem is, you have to purchase the 300 and then put in like $1,500 to make it totally bulletproof. Not that it's necessary to put that much into it, but if you want that thing to basically never break, that's what you have to do.

There's nothing wrong with a flip kit. Maybe it's a particular brand you didn't like? But you're right, those Stak replace a case's are friggin beautiful.

you know, i hear about this happening all the time.
but never have actaully sean any proof of it happening

"nutbar" on this site runs a D300 on a 5K+ cj5 tons and 40's and ot my knowledge (somebody correct me if i'm wrong) he as busted gears, and cases, but not really had any shafts.

and he does drive like a "nut"

i have 211:1 going through ny case on 38's and hammer on it pretty good (not big power, but lots of torque through gearing) stock shafts are OK

Happypants
01-30-2011, 07:11 PM
I have a d300 that's missing a bunch of shit that I would love to put behind my trans in my new jeep, but don't know where to get parts for it

andrewmacc
02-02-2011, 04:24 AM
Sell it to me instead. :D

cannonfodder
02-02-2011, 06:19 AM
Mine could be for sale or trade easily. Clutch pressure plate bell and tranny with AA to 300. All new