PDA

View Full Version : front valance removal for front reciever

Guinness
01-26-2011, 09:58 AM
anybody done anything like this? thinking of doing for my truck, but i want feedback befor i do.

http://www.jamesdeancreations.com/4Runner/Bumpers/Receiver%20with%20Skid%20Plate.jpg

BuckNaked
01-26-2011, 10:18 AM
seen it done lots if you have anything to hook onto your front bumper already its not much use unless you have a reciever winch or plan on towing in reverse:dontknow:

Guinness
01-26-2011, 10:37 AM
the plan is the reciever for a winch easy on off type thing

zookiguy
01-26-2011, 10:42 AM
The problem having a winch on a receiver is that it sticks out way to far and from the looks of that pic it will sit way to low.

I did that on the front of my suzuki many years ago and the winch would just smash into anything i tried to climb. I ended up mounting it on the top of my bumper on the receiver tucked back into the grill.

Guinness
01-26-2011, 10:45 AM
I should have said i wouldn't put the reviver on the bottom of the plate but on the top so it would sit more or less level with my bumper

BuckNaked
01-26-2011, 10:48 AM
you can mount it wherever, like zooki said its the shits because a receiver winch usually sticks out at least a foot off your bumper, you can always just put it in your box or back seat until you need it, but you might find yourself in a situation where you can mount it in your stuck position

Guinness
01-26-2011, 10:57 AM
you can mount it wherever, like zooki said its the shits because a receiver winch usually sticks out at least a foot off your bumper, you can always just put it in your box or back seat until you need it, but you might find yourself in a situation where you can mount it in your stuck position

this is what i was thinking was maybe the problem with it, but it is easier to buy a bumper with a winch cradle built in but no funds and i could do this with scrap i have a father in laws shop....:dontknow:

Guinness
01-26-2011, 10:58 AM
don't know how the thumbs down sign got on there....gay

harvester_sorrow
01-26-2011, 07:51 PM
I have one on my truck. For me the positives out weight the negatives. If you build it right you should not loose any ground clearance unless you have something plugged into it. I lost a little with mine because its a bolt on but I have never been hung up on it. Plus it guards my radiator. I don't have to carry around my 110lbs winch on the front of my truck every day saving wear and tear on the front end and gas mileage. The winch gets stored safely away out of the elements. I can use it on the front or rear or even a buddies truck. The down side is I have a horrible approach angle with the winch on the front. And its not the strongest for off angle pulls. The way I use my truck it works out good because its not a hardcore trail rig. If it is a dedicated trail truck I would hard mount it. The front hitch rocks for getting trailers into tight areas. And there are lots of accessories to plug into it.

dirka dave
01-27-2011, 05:31 AM
I would like to put a receiver on the front of the luxo too.

Guinness
01-27-2011, 08:09 AM
I have one on my truck. For me the positives out weight the negatives. If you build it right you should not loose any ground clearance unless you have something plugged into it. I lost a little with mine because its a bolt on but I have never been hung up on it. Plus it guards my radiator. I don't have to carry around my 110lbs winch on the front of my truck every day saving wear and tear on the front end and gas mileage. The winch gets stored safely away out of the elements. I can use it on the front or rear or even a buddies truck. The down side is I have a horrible approach angle with the winch on the front. And its not the strongest for off angle pulls. The way I use my truck it works out good because its not a hardcore trail rig. If it is a dedicated trail truck I would hard mount it. The front hitch rocks for getting trailers into tight areas. And there are lots of accessories to plug into it.

this is what i thought the pluses to be as well, to be able to have the winch on the back as well as the front i think would be a huge advantage in some cases. most of the time my buddy is trying to follow me throught stuff gets stuck then i have to tow him out. if you could choose wich end you wanted the winch on it might be pretty handy compared to having to turn the truck around and then start winching