PDA

View Full Version : 7.3 idi hard/won't start

StinkFinger
01-24-2011, 02:42 PM
So my truck dosent want to start it just keeps cranking away if I bump it it fires up with ease it has a maybe 6 month old starter in it and it's been running all day so it's not a cold start issue there plenty o fuel in the tank the glow plug lite cycles like it should so I'm sorta at a loss right now

Any one have any ideas
injectors?
Glow plugs?
Fule pressure?

Mud Slinging Dumb Fawker
01-24-2011, 02:58 PM
What year is it

F150HULK
01-24-2011, 03:00 PM
ours does that too. Plug it in. or try the Cam shaft sensor.

StinkFinger
01-24-2011, 03:01 PM
1990 f350

StinkFinger
01-24-2011, 03:03 PM
ours does that too. Plug it in. or try the Cam shaft sensor.

Plug it in it's been sitting for a 1/2 hour after driving from mission to anmore

F150HULK
01-24-2011, 03:36 PM
ok try the cam shaft sensor. We just replaced ours on a 96 and it starts alot better now too.

StinkFinger
01-24-2011, 04:11 PM
It's a non turbo idi motor I don't think it has a cam sensor

fullsizebronco
01-24-2011, 06:48 PM
what do you mean if you bump it ? are you talking bomb start it? i would suggest you check your fuel return lines are they wet? or have dry rot? how long after you shut the truck down is it hard to start? sounds like you could have a air leak when you try and start it next time push your pedal down a quarter of the way as soon as you turn the key to warm up the glow plugs and hold it that way through cranking

stevem
01-24-2011, 08:46 PM
is it cranking fast enough?could be poor cable to the starter or poor ground

FU Toolbag
01-24-2011, 11:09 PM
No cam censer. Too dumb for that.

If it started when it was cold, I'm assuming it hasn't been running since june, I'ld go with the return lines. They are old and cracked probably, or possibly the o-rings are cracked. either way, I'm guessing air is getting in there. If you do remove the hoses, don't pull them off. Cut them off. the plastic pieces are usually brittle and they will crack off if you pull too hard.

Another possibility is the start circuit. The pump is shut off electronically with the key. When you start it, there's another circuit that turns on the pump while starting. If I remember, it's on the spare terminal on the starter relay.

Otherwise, mine did the same, worked, then stooped without warning and wouldn't start again. $800 injection pump and good to go.

If nothing else, park it on your front lawn, fill the box with some good topsoil and plant dome roses. Happy gardening.

hrd4mud
01-25-2011, 08:55 AM
mine was doin that if it sat 5 minutes it would crank and crank to start, finally the starter died. I put a new one in and it fires up like a dream now, not plugged in and it starts really easy. I figgured mine was drawing all the juice for the lift pump and wasnt getting fuel.

Mine would bomb start really easy too, I thought it was weak batteries, till the starter died.

Mine is a 89 7.3 same exact motor as yours, I used an ac delco starter it wasnt a rebuild as its a redisigned starter, spins it over fast. Was about 350 from lordno.

StinkFinger
01-25-2011, 11:06 AM
So here's the deal now it only dose it when I'm parked on a steep hill I'll start diggin threw thouse return lines and see what I can see but that makes the most sence thanks for all the input
also it's a flat deck so it wouldent make a great planter

And the starter is a new delco unit

StinkFinger
01-25-2011, 01:15 PM
Well looks like it's the starter gay

Jeepnut
01-25-2011, 02:22 PM
So here's the deal now it only dose it when I'm parked on a steep hill I'll start diggin threw thouse return lines and see what I can see but that makes the most sence thanks for all the input
also it's a flat deck so it wouldent make a great planter

And the starter is a new delco unit

take it out of gear and let it go...........

longhorn
01-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Mine was the same way when parked facing uphill , it was the pump.

4skin
01-25-2011, 06:45 PM
sounds like a lift pump going

StinkFinger
01-25-2011, 07:13 PM
Or just a starter

suburbanpat
01-25-2011, 10:17 PM
if its hard to start when warm its most likely the injector pump. pour cool water over the head of the pump and it will fire right up. .howes diesel lubricant will help it last a bit longer and may bring it back to life. ice cold water may crack the pump if its nice and hot. thedieselstop.com helps to answer all of your ford diesel questions.

fullsizebronco
01-31-2011, 10:55 PM
was it the starter?