PDA

View Full Version : 3vze build

WestCoastMoose
01-05-2011, 07:55 PM
So I picked up this engine that had 240,000k, with a full Toyota rebuild 100,00k ago for $40. Stripped it down to the short block and started from there.Brand new heads. Performance cams ( Valve lift .410,216`@.050 and 260`advertised) Should feel some Umph from those.[36]
Ported everything myself.Wifey got me a Dremel for X-mas, so spent 23 hrs porting the plenum,intake, heads and exhaust. Swapping it over next weekend.
Damn sure has kept me busy.
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/DBRATS/P1050126.jpg
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/DBRATS/P1050128.jpghttp://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/DBRATS/P1050127.jpg
[IMG]http://www.funinbc.com/forum/http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/DBRATS/P1050126.jpg

Murd0c
01-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Ummmmmm YA thats all I got right now [wako]

Murd0c
01-05-2011, 08:32 PM
K it's great thats your building a motor but you should of really researched the reliability of the 3.slow before sinking a chunk of cash into it.

bobbyboucher69
01-05-2011, 10:57 PM
[stupid] Hope it works out for ya though

Cheese eyes
01-05-2011, 11:44 PM
K it's great thats your building a motor but you should of really researched the reliability of the 3.slow before sinking a chunk of cash into it.

????? i did my research when i build my 3.0 and ya they have there problems the 3.4 are not perfect either ... i have driven them all 3.0 stock, 3.4 stock and i built a 3.4 up with headers and exgust .... i think my latest 3.0 3vz takes them all ,.... If done right they work if done wrong there a total toad...

WestCoastMoose ..... did you shave the heads ?? and the exgust looks like it needs more porting deeper in and did you unshroud around the valves ??

dirka dave
01-06-2011, 06:10 AM
Doggy has a built 3.slow, it hauls !!

:murdumb:

hoser
01-06-2011, 08:24 AM

:murdumb:

Murd0c
01-06-2011, 09:11 AM
I was mainly saying I hope the bulit motor lasts a whole lot longer then a stock one. I have seen a number of ones blown in the past 5yrs that's the only reason why I said that.

Jayota
01-06-2011, 02:09 PM
They like their regular maintenance thats for sure.

Nice build, where did you pick up the cams??

Sticking with the stock exhaust manifolds?

WestCoastMoose
01-06-2011, 09:26 PM

I'm pretty sure the reliability factor falls squarely on the owner of said unreliable motor.Maintenance and a few minutes warming it up goes a long way. Mine has been running flawlessly for 5 1/2 yrs.[36]
The chunk of cash actually is $300 for heads, $400 for cams,$125 to set up valve lash. $600 for gaskets , idler,belt,etc,etc.
So in actual fact, the only added expense is the cams. $1500 is not to bad considering the work done and the added benefit/cost/HP ratio.
Oh, and I still will have a perfectly good running 3.0 after swapping them over. Sell it and make half my $$$ back.
:rolleyes:

WestCoastMoose
01-06-2011, 09:34 PM
????? i did my research when i build my 3.0 and ya they have there problems the 3.4 are not perfect either ... i have driven them all 3.0 stock, 3.4 stock and i built a 3.4 up with headers and exgust .... i think my latest 3.0 3vz takes them all ,.... If done right they work if done wrong there a total toad...

WestCoastMoose ..... did you shave the heads ?? and the exgust looks like it needs more porting deeper in and did you unshroud around the valves ??

I did my research also. So why would I spent extra $$$ and get empty return on investment by putting in a 3.4. Basically same motor, but no return for the money spent. The resale value to someone else is not there.
Heads are not shaved. The exhaust was quite wide inside there.You'd be surprised at how much was taken off there to even it out and match it up.
I did not unshroud them.

WestCoastMoose
01-06-2011, 09:37 PM
They like their regular maintenance thats for sure.

Nice build, where did you pick up the cams??

Sticking with the stock exhaust manifolds?

Hey Jay
Cams were ground by Colt Cams , the Weasy2 profile, which I believe you have :confused0006:[cheers]

Ya, stickin with stock for now, but did port those out some also.
On another topic, would you happen to know which side( driver or pass) the knock sensor wire comes out through the heads ?

jonny6door
01-06-2011, 10:41 PM
I'm pretty sure the reliability factor falls squarely on the owner of said unreliable motor.Maintenance and a few minutes warming it up goes a long way. Mine has been running flawlessly for 5 1/2 yrs.[36]

yeah, my 3.0 (2wd) has been running perfect for the last 11 years and has 410,000 km on it and probably has about 410,000 burnouts on it as well. [36]

Cheese eyes
01-07-2011, 09:07 AM
I did my research also. So why would I spent extra $$$ and get empty return on investment by putting in a 3.4. Basically same motor, but no return for the money spent. The resale value to someone else is not there.
Heads are not shaved. The exhaust was quite wide inside there.You'd be surprised at how much was taken off there to even it out and match it up.
I did not unshroud them.

Well just a sugestion... Do more research , remove heads and shave at least 20 thow off and get back in there with your dremal and un shroud around the valves. [cheers]

barracuda
01-07-2011, 10:25 AM
colt scams?? shoulda gone shadbolt please tell me you didnt get suckered into one of colts scammer HI TQ cam suggestions.

WestCoastMoose
01-07-2011, 04:15 PM
colt scams?? shoulda gone shadbolt please tell me you didnt get suckered into one of colts scammer HI TQ cam suggestions.

Actually , I contacted them and told them what I wanted.

WestCoastMoose
01-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Well just a sugestion... Do more research , remove heads and shave at least 20 thow off and get back in there with your dremal and un shroud around the valves. [cheers]

Thanks for that. I actually didn't think I'd need to relieve them while they were off. Next time...hahaha

hoser
01-07-2011, 05:04 PM
knock sensor goes through the drivers side

WestCoastMoose
01-07-2011, 11:26 PM
knock sensor goes through the drivers side
Hey, thanks.[cheers] Probly about the same time you posted this, I was taking off the air tube on the 4runner to see if it was on the drivers side. That was my gut feeling first off, and then saw it there.

4skin
01-08-2011, 12:02 AM
dakotas 3 litter ripps and sounsd pretty good for a bent six

Jayota
01-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Hey Jay
Cams were ground by Colt Cams , the Weasy2 profile, which I believe you have :confused0006:[cheers]

Ya, stickin with stock for now, but did port those out some also.
On another topic, would you happen to know which side( driver or pass) the knock sensor wire comes out through the heads ?

Yeah man! I was hoping to get His stage 2 cams but I guess he went belly up :confused:
Glad you were able to get a set, not many people do cams for these things!

WestCoastMoose
02-25-2011, 09:20 PM
So I thought I would update the engine swap etc. Of course best plans shot to hell. Had 90% unhooked Jan 14th, and toward the end of the day started feeling a little ill. Called it a day and Saturday definitely knew I had some sort of stomach flu.So the next week which I had holidays to swap motors over, I spent in bed,on the couch, or tinkering on the truck .[27]
So once back to work I did a few hours each day after work and had it up and running Feb 6th. Took it easy the first week, then on Saturday morning , the CEL come on. Right away I look at the oil pressure.Its good:confused0006: Well lets find out. Knock sensor .Well I replaced the pigtail, so its either sensor or wire. I was thinking sensor, so instead of pulling it apart, I did the engine hanger trick with another knock sensor,and now no light. So I will change that sensor, but not at this time. A small oil leak has developed at the rear of the valve cover, under the plenum, which will be easier to fix than the sensor:ballsmack

Now for the performance part. I have just over 1200 km's now.Timing is set @ 15' Definite power shift .Way more torque .Huge passing power. Add a bit of weight and holy shit she is a rocket. Pulls way past 5 g's, but at that point I take my foot off and let it shift.5300 is the most I've had it. The ECT switch has a whole new outlook for me. Climbing some steep hills last weekend, and I did not have to give extra skinny pedal at all. It just kept going.Very throaty. Draws air nicely and instant pedal response.Punched it off the line on a FSR and got some rear tire spin( locked rear) but the best part was when the tires kicked out at about 4000 RPM and I was fishtailing down the road punching the gas with throttle to spare. Man that was beautiful.:party0010:
I am more than happy with it. Really just porting it out, and adding cams woke up this motor.

BC_4RUNNER
02-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Hmmmm, makes me want to liven mine up. Or hope 37" will still swap me for his.:dontknow:

Murd0c
02-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Hmmmm, makes me want to liven mine up. Or hope 37" will still swap me for his.:dontknow:

wasn't someone bugging you about something at the spudspudspudspudspud :rolleyes: