PDA

View Full Version : ABS Brake Help

Zibi
12-31-2010, 02:55 PM
Hey everyone,

Last night the ABS motor on my truck started to run constantly whether my truck is on or off, with the ABS light on. I've pulled the fuse for the motor, but want to make sure that I won't die or kill anyone else.

Should this be a problem? My understanding is that my brakes should still work fine, I just won't have ABS.

Truck is a 1996 Nissan Pathfinder. Brake fluid level is also fine.

Thanks everyone and have a great new years. [cheers] [cheers]

kootenaycat
01-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Check out all our fuses and grounds especially at the ABS HCU. If they're all good, put the ABS fuse back in, drive it then pull codes.

youngun
01-02-2011, 12:27 PM
I would just pull the fuse out and leave it out. Don't really need ABS brakes, I pull the fuse on most of the trucks i have

Zibi
01-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Thanks thats awesome. I have the Nissan service manual for the pathfinder and looked it up there, said basically the same thing but didn't say how to ground the DLC. It just said to use a harness, which I don't have, so I said screw it.

I'll have to con my brother into giving me a hand this week, he's the electrical engineer in the family.

I've got the fuse out and have been driving it for a couple days now but it bugs me when things are broken and I don't know how to fix them.

Anyway thanks guys [cheers][cheers]

dirka dave
01-02-2011, 02:12 PM
I have my ABS disconneced on my 97 4runner.

It stops way better now.

kootenaycat
01-04-2011, 10:01 PM
I have my ABS disconneced on my 97 4runner.

It stops way better now.

I like ABS brakes, Emcon does such a great job on the highways around here [16] that it's nice to not go out of control when you touch the brakes. I drove non ABS trucks for 20 years and never had a problem but wouldn't go back. Plus with the wife I don't have to worry about her locking them up and sliding outta control. :D

dirka dave
01-05-2011, 06:09 AM
With my crappy old style ABS, I actually speed up when I brake on wet or snowy roads.

Thats why I disconnected it.

Plus I love looking at worning lights on my dash.

I have, Engine light, ABS, and an SRS light on......its like a Christmas tree in my instrument cluster !! :D

youngun
01-05-2011, 12:44 PM
hahahahah, awesome dave. That sounds like the cluster on my offroad toyota.

85chevy
01-05-2011, 03:21 PM
With my crappy old style ABS, I actually speed up when I brake on wet or snowy roads.

Seems to be the same in the inlaws friends magnum I had to move it back after the loader had cleared the driveway. The pulsing really does seem to make u speed up instead of slow down. Friend was scared to drive her car down a hill because it was covered in snow. Did it in my car was smooth and easy but got into her car being an automatic and had abs was a royal pain car wouldn't slow down nearly as well as mine without abs. Thankfully though its just a normal brake system when u pull the fuse.

dirka dave
01-06-2011, 06:20 AM
hahahahah, awesome dave. That sounds like the cluster on my offroad toyota.

Hahahah, thats in my Luxo ,my 82' has no computron in it !!!:D

When Ryan crashed his FJ at Harrison, he said that he could have stopped if the ABS was off. I didn't really believe him until I experienced it for my self.

http://www.funinbc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85746&highlight=bye+FJ

Zibi
01-06-2011, 01:31 PM
My ABS is weird, most of the time I've been happy with it, but theres been a few times it's activated for no apparent reason and nearly caused me to crash. Was driving down Mariner Way in Coquitlam last summer, doing about 60, came around the corner to see a red light, hit the brakes but not hard, ABS goes on and my stop distance seemed like it was double what it would normally be. Weird thing was the road was only mildly wet, not slippery at all.

When I was living in the kootenays though and drove in the snow a lot, I felt that the ABS helped me a few times then, not necessarily in shortening the stopping distance, but from allowing me to still brake hard and not lose my steering on windy roads.

How the fuck do you spell that word? I don't mean windy like air moving, I mean like a road that turns a lot.

dirka dave
01-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Bendy roads ?

:confused0006:

Zibi
01-07-2011, 02:30 AM
That works I guess. Don't know why I'm paying for more school, all it does is make me dumber.

kootenaycat
01-08-2011, 12:02 AM
Winding? But I like bendy, it's a much gooder word. :D

You probably had a bad speed sensor or rust building up under sensor mounting. ABS thinks one wheels is locking up and activates, seen lots of different vehicles do it. Chevy trucks were bad for rust building up under sensor causing too much air gap, chip out the rust and reinstall sensor and all was good. When they work they're great, when they act up they can be hell.

4skin
01-08-2011, 01:21 AM
abs sucks if you need it to stop your car safely maybe you shouldnt drive:D
buddy had second gen s15 he piled it into back of car swore brakes failed
yea right
gets fixed gm checks brakes nothing wrong
month later im driving it pulling up to lite pedal pulses and drops to floor
i swerve into other lane and hit pu truck
cop behind me saw hole thing asked why i swerved
honda with baby seat or pick up no brakes truck losses
electronic shit controling brakes[16]