PDA

View Full Version : changing timing chain on 302

girlcrazy_4
12-18-2010, 01:39 AM
How many hours does it take to change a timing chain on a 302?? Pretty strait forward? I'm concidering putting in a timing gear set as they're quite inexpensive and give off a cool sound.

mus-Tard
12-18-2010, 03:45 AM
pull lots of shit. ballancer, distributor, water pump, all the acces... off the front, have fun man.

4skin
12-18-2010, 08:24 PM
gear drives suck on a car you drive the wine sounds cool
for about 15 minuites then its just anoying
there meant for race cars
but most guys now are running belt drives
yes a belt and im not talking hondas
gear drives are hard on valve train due to no shock dampining effect
of the chain or belt

85chevy
12-18-2010, 10:11 PM
Double roller timing chain is still cheaper and does the same job with a long life

FU Toolbag
12-18-2010, 11:07 PM
why????

WagoneerXJ
12-19-2010, 10:39 AM
It'll take a couple hrs for sure. Gotta strip the front of the engine off. Don't forget the bolts in the oil pan!

girlcrazy_4
12-19-2010, 11:57 AM
ok thanks, definitely not worth the troubles.

fullsizebronco
12-21-2010, 08:37 PM
there is a truck the same as yours but gray on castanet with the timing gears in it now lol just buy that one problem solved ;)

m j
01-08-2011, 08:39 PM
the cheap chinese ones I wouldnt trust
if you buy a real pete jackson quiet set they will not be crazy loud
the noisy sets are loud as they are not lapped in
the quiet sets will make a cool whine just not the horrid scream of the noisy ones

knew a guy in Langley had a quiet petejackson in a 64 SS 4 speed malibu
his car sounded very tough decelling for the stop sign in front of my girlfriends house
other then on decel you could barely hear the gear drive
heard a loud one in abbotsford and it was screaming horrid enough at idle to hear across the parking lot
so the difference between a good geardrive thats properly lapped in and a noisy set is night and day IMO

a good single idler setup is what I want to use on my next build, but they are a $500 item from milodon summers etc

4skin
01-08-2011, 09:29 PM
the cheap chinese ones I wouldnt trust
if you buy a real pete jackson quiet set they will not be crazy loud
the noisy sets are loud as they are not lapped in
the quiet sets will make a cool whine just not the horrid scream of the noisy ones

knew a guy in Langley had a quiet petejackson in a 64 SS 4 speed malibu
his car sounded very tough decelling for the stop sign in front of my girlfriends house
other then on decel you could barely hear the gear drive
heard a loud one in abbotsford and it was screaming horrid enough at idle to hear across the parking lot
so the difference between a good geardrive thats properly lapped in and a noisy set is night and day IMO

a good single idler setup is what I want to use on my next build, but they are a $500 item from milodon summers etc
that cool whine in that malibu was probably the rock crusher trans
they whine on deceleration

m j
01-09-2011, 11:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfPx5PvfIcE

the ford smog pump makes more annoying noise then a quiet gear drive

dirka dave
01-09-2011, 11:58 AM
[!] FORDS