Ok so whats the deal with em

how easy is the upgrade ?
what tells it to turn on and where does that something go

what are the cons ??

i know the pro's

the only one i ever had was in my GTA and it fucken never cooled proper

but with a todays fuel $ and a change i wanna make to my jeep im askin
oh and 1-5 hp would be nice too

in this weather? just find a local ice rink and shovel snow into your heep engine bay you fuckin homo.
[cheers]

4skin
12-15-2010, 01:00 AM
electric fans suck imho guys i know that have electrick fans have big aftermarket rads and they run hot
my chevelle has a stock belt driven fan
and a stock rad from a 4.3 s10
its a 650 horse big block
never gone over 195 siting in trafic
just saying

Griswold
12-15-2010, 07:36 AM
I'd just hook up a switch myself then you can turn it on or off when ever you need it.
Hook up a relay to your ignition and then on the out put wire put a switch in line. That way the fan will automatically turn off when the ignition turns off.

When the ignition is on you can turn it off and on when ever you want.

Keep it simple.

Tinker
12-15-2010, 09:53 AM
I put one in my YJ (against advice from others) and I love it. Almost never turns on unless stopped in traffic or wheelin. the best way to install is with a sensor into or by the thermostst housing. Flexlite makes one specific for our trucks. I have a generic fit in mine with a sensor that goes through the rad and a dial switch to set the temp on and off. If doing a water crossing or such and you can turn the fan off to prevent it coming on and frying it.

StinkFinger
12-15-2010, 10:06 AM
I use a morosso electric water pump switch it comes with a bunch of adaptors to thread it in to the cooling system then wire it to a 3 position swich so you can run it as an on off auto setup never had a problem with any of them

tchevy
12-15-2010, 10:10 AM
if you do it dont go wth a manual switch, go with n electronicly controlled thermostat. you can add manual switch into that if you want, but make sure it comes on when you need it. to easy to forget to turn it on and burn up.

85chevy
12-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Make sure u use a relay they draw a lot of current and yea temp sensor is a good idea then a manual switch for certain times.
U want something like this to make it easier http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRF-30103/ (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRF-30103/)

96_z71
12-15-2010, 12:36 PM
thinkin about doin this to mine, those flexlite kits are friggin expensive, buddy of mine just took the fans from a windstar and wired them to a thermostat switch and a manual on off switch

Trailjunkie
12-15-2010, 05:08 PM
manual switch tuna

vajayjay
12-15-2010, 05:48 PM
I've got dual elec (stock cherokee elec fans)running off a switch, barely gets to a quarter, thinking of putting one on a stat so not running both at all times. And that way when I forget to turn them on at least one will kick in. Or maybe two stats one set higher than the other:confused0006:

epic3
12-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Great upgrade but make sure you run one with a shroud or it will not cool properly and run a thermistor switch not a manual on off switch cus one day on the trail you will forget to turn it on and pop a hose or worst.
I install these on a regular basis if you need assistance just come by

Lazybaka
12-15-2010, 07:29 PM
well.
cons:
can fail and over heat
they wear out brushes/motors
good size draw on the battery
pro:
parasitic loss removal-sure gotta be 1 HP ;)
can setup temperature control to be specific
(relay and sensor kit is about 60$)
can have manual control , on/off when you want

I've done this on cars and never had any problems
it would be nice to have more control on the truck
and any parasitic loss reduction = better fuel economy
good in my books with the anal incursion required to
fill up these days

youngun
12-16-2010, 10:24 AM
I have the ford tarus fan in my truggy build and my DD 4runner, nice and small and work great.

Chopstick
12-16-2010, 03:19 PM
make sure if you do do it that you find out how much CFMs you need to keep your rig cold, cause if you get this wrong your truck will always run hot

just saying,
you can check out this place near jeep thrills, its an import place for all the import high performance, they have thin fans that put out loads of CFMs
Image In Motion http://www.imageinmotion.com/mishimotoslimelectricradiatorfans.php

Happypants
12-16-2010, 03:26 PM
Thermostat switch into rad wired through fan set at your temp u want it to turn on, or wire it to a on/off switch, u got so much room u should get a 2stage tarus fan, those things will keep ur truck nice an cool, but u must run it through at least a 80amp relay cause when they kick on they take 80 amps

Chopstick
12-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Thermostat switch into rad wired through fan set at your temp u want it to turn on, or wire it to a on/off switch, u got so much room u should get a 2stage tarus fan, those things will keep ur truck nice an cool, but u must run it through at least a 80amp relay cause when they kick on they take 80 amps

seriously 80amps to run them?? thats crazy... i wouldn't want to slip an get my hand cought in that :eek:

85chevy
12-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Those fans are insane for what they came off but work good if u can get one for cheap people usually want a lot for them

Happypants
12-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Look on Craigslist, ppl parting out or wrecking the SHO ford tarus's they got the 2speed fans

trencher
12-16-2010, 09:24 PM
Fans out of a Ford Taurus flow air better than a flexlite ever will, and they are cheap. And a switch at the thermostat is the only way to go. They rarely fail and you can't forget to turn it on that way...or run it constantly which isn't good either. The only time i have seen an electric fan fry wheeling is when it's packed with mud.

4skin
12-17-2010, 12:40 PM
so you lose parasitic loss from fan :confused0006:
but make the altenator work harder suplring power to run fans
pluss get to add a bunch more wireing
your jeep has a clutch fan that cuts down on power loss
just remember
kiss keep it simple stupid
lot easier to carry a spare fan belt than spare fans[cheers]

dirka dave
12-17-2010, 03:28 PM
If you really want to upgrade, get an aluminum rad and fan kit thats matched.
then get the expensive controler. should only cost about $600 for a midgrade model.

is it worth it ?.......thats up to you.

the cheap fans and thermostats suck balls, you get what you pay for on this one..

IMO

tchevy
12-17-2010, 03:53 PM
honestly they have their place, but in a wheeler i love my old mechanical fan. if you arent having any heat issues save your cash and put it in the tank and pick up some beer.

bob
12-18-2010, 09:50 AM
any thoughts on pushing air through the rad or pulling air through, what would be better,

& do you think it would be good to have the stock clutch fan & a electric fan - for days of towing or going up steep hills, bigger tires = more load on the motor

youngun
12-18-2010, 10:27 AM
Could be done for sure, On my suzuki I have a taurus fan on the pulling air offset to the top right corner, and I have another taurus fan pushing air in the bottom left corner that was only used in the summer when its really hot and im going slow threw a trail, etc.

fullsizebronco
12-21-2010, 07:30 PM
honestly they have their place, but in a wheeler i love my old mechanical fan. if you arent having any heat issues save your cash and put it in the tank and pick up some beer.

yaaa [36] [36] [36]

having both 2 trucks with the mechanical fans and one with the electrical im more partial to the mechanical one now because of all the extra wiring etc that i have to worry about screwing up

Guinness
12-31-2010, 03:07 PM
was thinking of doing this when my fan clutch went, but didn't have the cash to do it at the time. but a 16" promotive fan is $77.82 tax in thru lordco(im a partsman here) then you have to get the thermostat control by flex-o-lite part # 31147 $44.31, grand total with tax 127.44 and beer.....