PDA

View Full Version : Birfield Failure ?? Maybe

cronic 4x4
12-09-2010, 07:10 PM
A buddy's 92 V6 Pickup SAS all TG 5 inch HD kit 529 gears open diffs. In 2wd smooth now vibration of chatter or strange noises. In 4L it is still pretty smooth however in 4H clunking knocking but it comes and goes when you engaged the clutch to change gears it also becomes more pronounced. When turning in a tight radios it also don't sound to good. Like I say 2wd smooth as silk.

cronic 4x4
12-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Also did figure 8 on dirt parking lot in 4 low no binding etc. So I dont know side axle gears or gearbox ,,,, any ideas :confused0006: :confused0006: :confused0006:

Murd0c
12-09-2010, 07:47 PM
sounds like the star may be cracked on one of the birfs and the bell is holding it together.

toyon35s
12-09-2010, 07:48 PM
check your driveshaft dude [cheers]

cronic 4x4
12-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Drive shaft is all new good new ujoints.

Also jacked up the front end and rolled the tires by hand with the hubs locked if it was the birf would i not hear something rolling it by hand or not ?

epic3
12-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Is there a viscous coupler in the t-case

Murd0c
12-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Is there a viscous coupler in the t-case

yep theres a input shaft, If it breaks your better off getting a cromo one from Longfield.

Toyquad
12-09-2010, 08:38 PM
its funny when people think they know what there talking about but dont have a fucking clue.............................................. .......

Murd0c
12-09-2010, 08:42 PM
whats so bad about the cromo input shaft?

Toyquad
12-09-2010, 08:43 PM
try this. take out front drive shaft. lock hubs. if it makes the noise, vibrations etc. then problem is in the front diff.
if problems gone, its either driveshaft or t case.

Toyquad
12-09-2010, 08:45 PM
yep theres a input shaft, If it breaks your better off getting a cromo one from Longfield.

wanna show me where in the non existing vicous coupler you'd put that cromo input shaft?

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential5.htm

tchevy
12-09-2010, 08:47 PM
you beat me to it ^^^^ lol

Murd0c
12-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Ok that explains everything. My last toy had dual cases of course so it had a output shaft and thats what I was thinking of.

TWOZEROFOUR
12-09-2010, 10:39 PM
awesome thread

4skin
12-09-2010, 10:54 PM
and your new one has a viscous coupling between motor and transfer case its called a automatic

youngun
12-09-2010, 11:14 PM
enough with the viscous hahahahaha

'Balmer
12-09-2010, 11:35 PM
and your new one has a viscous coupling between motor and transfer case its called a automatic

[15] [15] [15] [15] [15]

dirka dave
12-10-2010, 05:17 AM
Ok that explains everything. My last toy had dual cases of course so it had a output shaft and thats what I was thinking of.

It was a mall crawler too.

:D

cronic 4x4
12-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Pulled the passenger side birfield joint and I cant see any cracks this sounds like a stupid question but if there is noting obvious how do you tell if the birfield joint has failed. This birfied looks fine but there is some small clicking between the inner axle shaft and the birf itself where the c clip is..but not as pronounced as when the hole assembly was still together and I was spinning the wheel.

The reason i pulled this passenger side is when I jacked it up I spun the wheels with hub locked and unlocked and was getting a clicking sound maybe its the hub any suggestions.

homeboy
12-10-2010, 11:26 PM
running longfield 30 spliners?

It's typical that some people when installing the 30 spline shafts into the new 30 spline birf don't install the retaining ring or not engage it all they way causing the shaft to slip back into the housing and cause the birf to make a clicking sound when turning, it makes it easier to change the birf on the trail but isnt good for the birf when turning if you leave it out.

If you had a birf failure you would know it by large cracks in the bell or star/balls upon disassembly.

another thing people have done is install the wrong side of the shaft into the differential not allowing use of the retaining ring causing damage to the shafts.

if it's a stock birf the retaining birf ring still holds true make sure it's still in there

It can almost mean your birfields have some wear on them take the shaft out of the birf and remove the grease and check for balls and inner bell / cage wear.

My old one started clicking as well the inner cage broke causing it to move inside the knuckle ball and was grinding the inside of the knuckle making a clicking sound when turning. I just went and bought a set of 30 spline longs and hub gears.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/AxleRebuild.shtml this link shows you the retaining ring and what happens without using one.

"Yes you will have problems if you don't run the snap ring, it is on there for a reason.
1. The birf will fall back in the housing and bind an click when you turn, then you bitch that your birfs are clicking.
2. That lets the inner axle drift past the seal area then your gear oil comes out.
3. When the brif drifts back you have less spline contact on your hub gear an brass bushing.
4. The birf has to be centered with the top and bottom trunion bearings like 3 hinges on a door, if the center hing is not in line with the other 2 when you turn this is hard on the birf. That is why they put a snap ring to hold it in place.
We would supply them free, but half of you don't use them anyway. We are just trying to protect your investment."

- Bobby Longfield

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=815036&highlight=clicking+birf

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=813968&highlight=birf+clicking

cronic 4x4
12-13-2010, 06:04 PM
Solved the problem and you will not believe what was causing it. I checked both front birfields they were fine I removed the front drive shaft and the vibration was still there so it left only one thing rear diff or driveshaft. All the vibration was in the front dash and it sounded like front end but ended up being rear drive shaft.

toyon35s
12-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Solved the problem and you will not believe what was causing it. I checked both front birfields they were fine I removed the front drive shaft and the vibration was still there so it left only one thing rear diff or driveshaft. All the vibration was in the front dash and it sounded like front end but ended up being rear drive shaft.

i belive i said check your driveshafts [cheers]

cronic 4x4
12-13-2010, 06:26 PM
toyon35s you did indeed you did and I deserve it dude thanks for your help.....Next time i will listen to you before tearing apart 2 birfields for nothing.