PDA

View Full Version : frame lengthening

skyjacker
12-05-2010, 10:33 PM
lookin at buyin a ford 95 f250 single cab long box and throwing the flatdeck from my 85 chevy towtruck on it , the frame is a bit to short and im just wondering about lengthening it , i know its possible , thinkin of some channel iron and then some 1/2 plate to fishplate it to the origional frame bolted and welded , my deck tilts so the back of the frame has to be structurally strong because that is where the hing point is anyone ever done something like this before? :confused:

D-Ass
12-05-2010, 11:53 PM
Pm me your phone # i built tow trucks and comercial vehicles for six years

Maelthra
12-06-2010, 03:08 AM
Take it to russell truck and get them to do it right?

skyjacker
12-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Take it to russell truck and get them to do it right?

if i had that kinda money i wouldnt be fuckin with an old truck lol

FU Toolbag
12-07-2010, 10:38 PM
F250 wrecker??? there's your first problem.

skyjacker
12-12-2010, 12:19 PM
sick of the chev and the guttless as fuck 6.2 makes about as much power as a honda civic[16]

Maelthra
12-12-2010, 03:36 PM
if i had that kinda money i wouldnt be fuckin with an old truck lol

with our wreckers when they get lengthened, we cut the frame and put in another piece, and then double the frame with another piece of C-channel inside the original frame. :dontknow:

harvester_sorrow
12-12-2010, 06:12 PM
F250 wrecker??? there's your first problem.

That's a good point, what's the GVWR of the 250?

FU Toolbag
12-12-2010, 07:56 PM
with our wreckers when they get lengthened, we cut the frame and put in another piece, and then double the frame with another piece of C-channel inside the original frame. :dontknow:

Please tell me you don't use c channel. That's just wrong.

I wouldn't start with a f250. The frame is thinner than the 350, the front is much weaker, and if you do up your gvw, and you can, if you get into a crash icbc will be saying fuck you cause ford says you can't do what your doing. Not to mention that to deck a car on a set of singles is just asking for cvsc to pop you.

As far as actually doing it, sorry, but I say don't. If you want the 7.3, I can understand that. find yourself a old u-haul truck and swap cab and motor.

I've lengthened my old f350 regular cab and added 22" for it to become an extended cab. Did a inner formed "C" that was 48" long as well as a filler piece to fill the void. I used 50w material for both. The frame was prepped internally, welded, then gouged out externally, and welded at all 4 joints with the 48" piece bolted in place. I regularly loaded 3-4 tons on it and never had a problem.

I'm building a deck truck that is based on a buss. I know there are haters, but I still believe this is an awesome way to go. If you can find an international one, not hard, and find yourself a international cab, again, not hard to find, you can build yourself one pretty cheaply.

I'm building a chev right now that I tried to section and stretch the frame, but was running into non stop problems, so I basically axed the entire frame except for the front suspension. The new frame is fully boxed and working out very well. Might get some pix for you if I get back there tonight.

Maelthra
12-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Its not c channel I just didn't know the proper name for it until you said c formed steel.

skyjacker
12-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Please tell me you don't use c channel. That's just wrong.

I wouldn't start with a f250. The frame is thinner than the 350, the front is much weaker, and if you do up your gvw, and you can, if you get into a crash icbc will be saying fuck you cause ford says you can't do what your doing. Not to mention that to deck a car on a set of singles is just asking for cvsc to pop you.

As far as actually doing it, sorry, but I say don't. If you want the 7.3, I can understand that. find yourself a old u-haul truck and swap cab and motor.

I've lengthened my old f350 regular cab and added 22" for it to become an extended cab. Did a inner formed "C" that was 48" long as well as a filler piece to fill the void. I used 50w material for both. The frame was prepped internally, welded, then gouged out externally, and welded at all 4 joints with the 48" piece bolted in place. I regularly loaded 3-4 tons on it and never had a problem.

I'm building a deck truck that is based on a buss. I know there are haters, but I still believe this is an awesome way to go. If you can find an international one, not hard, and find yourself a international cab, again, not hard to find, you can build yourself one pretty cheaply.

I'm building a chev right now that I tried to section and stretch the frame, but was running into non stop problems, so I basically axed the entire frame except for the front suspension. The new frame is fully boxed and working out very well. Might get some pix for you if I get back there tonight.

Ya i have a 1 ton chevy right now with the deck on it , its a 85 rilly old and needs alot of work plus im not a chevy guy , i have so many ford parts i could build 5 trucks there what i know, im gettin sick of havin no power goin up hills and having to tighten up the bolts between the tranny and bellhousing on the 4 speed , i understand where your comming from on the 350 frame id like to get one if someone would sell one for a decent buck , my buddy has a 92 f250 with a 460 and a 5 speed 4x4 , it would be getting a propane/gas dual fule set up as well as a 60 up front and a dually 10.25 in the rear and the leaf pack out of the chev if i end up doing it

i would love to build a bigger truck but for what i do i dont think its cost effective , between the incurance , MVI's and repair costs , if it was my full time job i would go with something bigger but its just a weekend thing for now

im still trying to find a f350 , but i found the f250 its in good shape and has low k thats why i was leaning towards getting it :confused: :dontknow: