Ginger Snaps
11-19-2010, 08:24 PM
right on...

trackyota
11-19-2010, 11:42 PM
yes ok then....

youngun
11-20-2010, 12:08 PM
looks a bit rough with all the rough edges, should look much better once you grind and round all the corners on those brakets. Maybe beef up the radius arm mount on the frame? looks like it could fail

epic3
11-20-2010, 01:04 PM
ohh my god

offroadordrift
11-20-2010, 01:05 PM
holy shit. thats manly as fuck

fullsizebronco
11-20-2010, 02:43 PM
im going to have to agree with youngun on this one the welds on the bracket on the diff looks like it needs a little more attention as well i like the 460 swap though i have a fi 460 in my f150 as well

broncorandy
11-20-2010, 03:23 PM
PLEASE dont drive it on the road trailer it.... The welds dont look strong enough and the track bar bracket on the frame wow. It looks like its in the wrong spot and you shouldnt be using the same bolts as the steering box. And i will say im not an engineer but the long bolt for the steering rod and link will not hold under side pressure like that.

SquirreL-E
11-20-2010, 03:31 PM
That's FUCKED. Nice prep work though, that rust will hold fucking mint!

85chevy
11-20-2010, 03:58 PM
:vroam:

fullsizebronco
11-20-2010, 04:08 PM
at least it has 4 shocks in the rear ;)

Cheese eyes
11-20-2010, 07:31 PM
:eek: Well i'm speechless .................................................. ........

[16]

SquirreL-E
11-20-2010, 08:23 PM
You should sign up on this site. You'd fit in perfectly. :)

http://128.83.80.200/taco/scarysteering.html

blacker_69
11-20-2010, 09:26 PM
A for enthusiasm

D- for killing potential

single shear on your steering is scary, that'll bend like a cheap philipino lady boy

the trac bar uber goober weld has no penetration on the diff housing

you want your trac bar and draglink on the same plains of travel

again penetration is weak

coil mount using 2x4 box looks pretty weak, side load and it will shear

single tab shock mount will snap off

add some suppport to your radius arm mount, for rearward deflection

and looks like your coils are trying to jump out from under the truck

it may be fine for you but please dont drive this on a public road as is.

Broncoo
11-20-2010, 11:53 PM
you should just scrap everything you have done and take it to someone that knows what they are doing. spend alot more time learning how to make things better

i have seen worse (not just on the internet)

'Balmer
11-21-2010, 12:47 AM
OK I'm finally going to say something...

I must have looked at this thread 20 times and either bitten my tongue or abided time...

Now's the time I guess...

Buddy, You'll kill yourself or, far more likely, others on the road if you drive this rig.
Blacker 69 makes the same points I would have only more gently... if you look at my sig you'll see I'm a "nice guy", but really... THIS IS A BAD DEAL!!!
There is NO penetration on your welds (do you have ANY idea how to weld?). You didn't even clean the metal before welding, you used very poor quality (checker/diamond plate) metal, you mated metals together when one was less than 1/2 the thickness of the other (with a horrible weld) and you bolted a piece of shit Frankenstein job to the frame (your radius arm cross member) through holes BURNED BY A CUTTING TORCH!!! Virtually everything you've shown here will fall apart, causing catastrophy.
Others have made mention to site you should join... pay attention to what you see there! You are a hazard and you are exactly what opponents of the 4x4 cuture look for when bad mouthing.

I am NOT an expert but I have done a lot of research and have only taken on that which I am confident I can manage. There are lots of others on this forum like me. I suggest you look at other threads and see what you see... Welding involves heating the metal to the point that it MELTS TOGETHER. Do you see any heat discolouration around you welds??? How about other peoples welds??? Sooo that's a start. Then we can talk about geometry and stress points if you like...

'Balmer
11-21-2010, 12:54 AM
...and I see 1 bolt holding on the square tubing to which your coil bucket is mounted... am I missing something or is that it?

mullet1976
11-21-2010, 02:36 AM
Welds look half decent to me, dunno how balmer can talk about heat discolouration by cold welds? And I don't see a problem with burning bolt holes with a torch? The steering linkage does look a little haywire tho. Some metal prep and cleaning would go a long way but you are on the right track.

regulate34
11-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Welds look half decent to me, dunno how balmer can talk about heat discolouration by cold welds? And I don't see a problem with burning bolt holes with a torch? The steering linkage does look a little haywire tho. Some metal prep and cleaning would go a long way but you are on the right track.

the welds are not "half decent" that have no heat. thats what balmer is talking about i good deep penatrating weld will have blueing a little on the edge and the back side should be red hot after the weld has been laid. for burning bold holes with a torch. yeah it can be done but why not drill it? i would also imagine the excessive heating around ware the bold head is sitting would cause a weakpoint because the metal is now a little more brittle.

first one i would call half ass but might still work
and the second pic as a proper goog penatrating weld
(i didnt do either picture)

85chevy
11-21-2010, 10:21 AM

Sorry but not even close to right track. More research would of been a better idea even posting up here to ask peoples opinions and help before making this epic failure. Trailer or tow this to a shop and have them redo it becaues cops will be all over u because its totally unsafe.

WagoneerXJ
11-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Wow, interesting. Are there any "kits" out there to do this properly? With mostly bolt on brackets ( Cause I can't weld for shite ) Thinking of this for my 96 as well./

Maelthra
11-21-2010, 02:53 PM
There's no good sas "kit" for 80+ fords, you eventually will have to weld something.

But because this is a common swap there's tons of info on the web.

'Balmer
11-21-2010, 03:05 PM
Wow, interesting. Are there any "kits" out there to do this properly? With mostly bolt on brackets ( Cause I can't weld for shite ) Thinking of this for my 96 as well./

I've got radius arms for ya if you want 'em. They're stock '79s right now but I could mod them with Ballistic joints if you want...

toyon35s
11-21-2010, 04:45 PM
thats scary shit ,i would recomend removing the fibc sticker if you plan on driving that pos [cheers]

Bigsexy
11-21-2010, 05:47 PM
thanks for the input [cheers]

Maelthra
11-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Why did you remove it all?

Moondog
11-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Yah post it back up I didn't see it

Gaybait
11-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Yah post it back up I didn't see it

me either! [16]

Mud Slinging Dumb Fawker
11-21-2010, 06:28 PM
dont delete it all drama drama drama drama drama

Maelthra
11-21-2010, 08:46 PM
Read back through the comments and you will get the gist of the project. Poor penetration welds, checker plate steel used in places, single- shear steering link and a skewed drag link. Not a extremely bad design just needed to be reworked.

Troy
11-21-2010, 08:53 PM
i love how some people on here have x-ray vision and can apparently see the penetration of the welds.

you are on the right track, dont let these monkeys discourage you. the bolt on the steering is an issue and the angle of the panhard bar is an issue, it should be pretty paralell to the draglink.

that being said, it can be fixed. if you want some help or some advice on any of the fabricating/welding let me know.

Maelthra
11-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Well how do you tell if there is sufficient penetration or not?

Troy
11-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Well how do you tell if there is sufficient penetration or not?

if its a groove weld with a gap then you would see if from the backside, if its a fillet weld then you would need an x-ray or ultrasound testing equipment to see the depth of pentration.

theres companies that drive around with this equipment and test welds all day long believe it or not

Maelthra
11-22-2010, 12:10 AM
Alright, learn something new every day

'Balmer
11-22-2010, 12:24 PM
if its a groove weld with a gap then you would see if from the backside, if its a fillet weld then you would need an x-ray or ultrasound testing equipment to see the depth of pentration.

theres companies that drive around with this equipment and test welds all day long believe it or not

Uh huh, there's also a thing called "laying a decent bead" you know, welding 101... If the pics were still there it would be obvious that the welds are poor. Yes you need test equipment to truly know the absolute quality of a weld, however, when the beads are as porous and ropey as the ones in this buid there would be NO need for testing!!! Let's be realistic...

I didn't post up to make Brandon feel bad; I'm pretty sure no one else did either. Others made mention to the fact that Bradon could have begun posting pics and info much sooner and recieved advice that could have saved his project. Hopefully it's a lesson learned - the hard way unfortunately.

epic3
11-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Troy always has to go against the grain even when something obviously is substandard. Its a good thing there is mobile weld testing techs out there I'm sure Troy has'm on speed dial. But what scared me the most about the whole sas was the steering cus that is the one point of instant deadly failure.
Just cus you know hw to pliug in a welder doesn't mean you should be doing structural welding. Just cus you can spin a wrench doesn't mean bolys rod ends and such should be bolted together at random. And bolt holes should not be blasted out with a torch. A 5/8ths bolt NEEDS a 5/8ths hole and that same goes for any size of bolt. How can you be sure you don't have to large a hole when you've just gone and melted one out.

Troy
11-22-2010, 01:01 PM
bla bla bla

maybe try offering some informative help instead of insults

Moondog
11-22-2010, 02:53 PM
I still want to see the pics

rmiller026
11-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Troy always has to go against the grain even when something obviously is substandard. Its a good thing there is mobile weld testing techs out there I'm sure Troy has'm on speed dial. But what scared me the most about the whole sas was the steering cus that is the one point of instant deadly failure.
Just cus you know hw to pliug in a welder doesn't mean you should be doing structural welding. Just cus you can spin a wrench doesn't mean bolys rod ends and such should be bolted together at random. And bolt holes should not be blasted out with a torch. A 5/8ths bolt NEEDS a 5/8ths hole and that same goes for any size of bolt. How can you be sure you don't have to large a hole when you've just gone and melted one out.

Yes I agree and will go as far as to say troy is a fucking idiot know it all who knows nothing and should go post on another site ur contradicting balmer I've seen his build thred and I've seen troys shit ass creation balmer is a well skilled fabricator and a damn good welder he's not a idiot talking out his ass like some people (Troy) I agree that there's slot of things wrong with this and and it should not be taken likely but I personaly have met Brandon he's worked hard on this he should have done more home work but people like Troy should just shut the fuck up and sit in the corner and not stick his nose in shit he clearly is wrong about just my 2 cents yo

Troy
11-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Yes I agree and will go as far as to say troy is a fucking idiot know it all who knows nothing and should go post on another site ur contradicting balmer I've seen his build thred and I've seen troys shit ass creation balmer is a well skilled fabricator and a damn good welder he's not a idiot talking out his ass like some people (Troy) I agree that there's slot of things wrong with this and and it should not be taken likely but I personaly have met Brandon he's worked hard on this he should have done more home work but people like Troy should just shut the fuck up and sit in the corner and not stick his nose in shit he clearly is wrong about just my 2 cents yo

as far as i know balmer works on dead people

as far as i know i actually get paid to weld and fabricate equipment that is designed to save peoples lives. i also happen to enjoy building and working on 4x4 trucks as a hobby and can take the skills and knowledge i use at work and apply it to my hobby.

I , like everyone else on this website have an opinion and will express it, if you dont like it or cant comprehend it then maybe you should shut the fuck up.

'Balmer
11-22-2010, 10:14 PM
as far as i know balmer works on dead people

as far as i know i actually get paid to weld and fabricate equipment that is designed to save peoples lives. i also happen to enjoy building and working on 4x4 trucks as a hobby and can take the skills and knowledge i use at work and apply it to my hobby.

I , like everyone else on this website have an opinion and will express it, if you dont like it or cant comprehend it then maybe you should shut the fuck up.

You're right... dead folks are my main source of income. You've also made other fine points (like the positive comments vs. insults thing).

I really don't have an issue wih anyone on FIBC so far and I've been here awhile. I hope not to have one with you. Troy, while you may be a pro, I know what I'm talking about as well - lets not be silly here. You may have felt "vicariously defensive" on Brandon's part and that's fine. I understand the guy put in alot of effort and didn't get a great response here. The fact remains though, that this was a build that needed some serious critique for safety's sake.

I'm not into hurling online insults and I haven't done that. I meant everything I said and I don't go back on a word of it. Brandon's only response on this thread (which is noteworthy) has been to thank eveyone for their input. It could be sarcastic but I doubt it. If I were in his shoes I would be feeling shitty but safer. Also I hope that Brandon realizes that there are more than a couple of guys/girls on this site willing to show him a thing or two about welding/fabbing (as you, Troy, offered) while modding their own rigs or even lend a hand on his rig. As far as I know that's the spirit of FIBC, at least that's been my experience.

Can't we all just get along... :D

dirka dave
11-23-2010, 06:31 AM
As far as I know,

I am a frozen meat popsicle.

epic3
11-23-2010, 02:44 PM
As far as I know,

I am a island granola popsicle.

Moondog
11-23-2010, 02:56 PM
As far as I know,

I am a faggot that loves to sucks on meat popsicle.

Bigsexy
12-09-2010, 03:11 PM
K SOO DOES ANYBODY HAVE SOME HELP WITH MAKIN A NEW XMEMBER??? everyones gota mouth to run off but nobody wants to help.. cept for troys pm's (thanks).. [cheers]

'Balmer
12-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Come up to Hope with either your rig or just the crossmember and a template of your bolt holes where it attaches and I'll give you a full day for providing beer alone... I'm not sure where you're from but if you don't get any closer offers it just might be worth it... I've got some steel already but we should figure out exactly what you'll need first.

Anyone else?

Bigsexy
12-09-2010, 04:11 PM
pm sent [cheers]

epic3
12-09-2010, 04:29 PM
if you wanna come out to richmond I can help you

85chevy
12-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Glad to hear ur working on it[cheers] good luck should be a solid truck

Bigsexy
12-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Glad to hear ur working on it[cheers] good luck should be a solid truck

ofcoarse, just a bit of a set back now.. no snow wheelin i guess lol.. ohwell im hopefull for springwheelin :)

Punk in Drublic
12-10-2010, 01:25 AM
Glad ya took it all well. it was all sposed to be constructive criticism, aome more on the critical part, but its best to do it right. its faster to change somethin than to have somethin go wrong and break and keep guessin. ive done it before. end up wreckin your shit worse.

Bigsexy
12-15-2010, 08:36 PM
So i got an idea will this work...?

K well that was a fail too.. pics wont load.. GRRR!! wat IF i take my original Xmember.. and 45 another4x2 into the middle of it. and get them welded togather at the frame rail.? that would give it the strength it needs to hold wouldnt it?

mus-Tard
12-15-2010, 10:45 PM
nope.

mus-Tard
12-15-2010, 10:46 PM
l dont know. l didn't read it. im kinda drunk. [31]

mus-Tard
12-15-2010, 10:46 PM
just whorin the post

Bigsexy
12-16-2010, 12:33 AM
lol Its ok.. i think i got it under control now.. Balmer came over tonite and took a peek at everything and told me where to add my supports and where to brace it better. [cheers]

youngun
12-16-2010, 11:26 AM
Right on, props to balmer!!

Got pics yet?

Bigsexy
12-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Right on, props to balmer!!

Got pics yet?

i sure appreciated it.. no pics til its done.. & il do a b4 and after then.

SquirreL-E
12-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Make sure to make a Grinder your BEST friend, and favourite tool. Wire wheel, Grinding Discs, and Zip Discs... :) Make it look nice. Paint wouldnt hurt either :D

Trailjunkie
12-16-2010, 11:38 PM
i sure appreciated it.. no pics til its done.. & il do a b4 and after then.
you better. i missed the before pics dammit.