PDA

View Full Version : overheating, scrap or salvageable

thrillbilly
11-18-2010, 08:27 PM
back in september the truck went for a swim and once it dried out it wouldnt stop overheating like maxed out overheating.

its fine at idle but overheats like crazy even just around the block.

no coolant residue in oil, new thermostat, and my waterpumps fine.

FML continue and swap motors, or anything else to look at.

and third does anyone want to swap or help swap 4.9L for 4.9L for cash and beer :)

fullsizebronco
11-18-2010, 08:33 PM
i have sunk more than one ford deeeep in water and the gauges never read right again i would install a stand alone gauge and see what your temp is at before you start swapping motors

my buddy also had the same problem with his ford after sinking his as well... im guessing the electrical does not like water ;)

then again it could just be a head gasket pull the plugs and see if the tips look green

85chevy
11-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Rad full of mud or dirt?? and I mean the fins

FU Toolbag
11-18-2010, 09:19 PM
is your fan or relay toast?

thrillbilly
11-18-2010, 10:52 PM
it overheats to the point the engine loses all power and it stalls out, and wont start till it cools down. :(

and yea lol damn fords not likin water.. i pulled the plugs they looked ok i i fired with plugs out to see if there was water that came in the intake and it ran after that just overheats alot..

the fan is working for sure i ruled that one out

the rad was full of mud thought tht was the issue so pressurewashed it and cleaned it up still overheats.

thrillbilly
11-18-2010, 10:54 PM
current engine has 335km on it my spare has 200ish... but current ran wikid till this.. if i can keep it in there then by all means i will.

fullsizebronco
11-18-2010, 11:16 PM
where you located?

fullsizebronco
11-18-2010, 11:29 PM
well i was told if you can pop the rad cap and if there is bubbles coming up to the top its head gasket .... now is your overflow bubbling ? losing power when getting to operating temp i have heard of timing causing this

85chevy
11-19-2010, 12:07 AM
R u sure ur water pump is fine like u replaced it recently? And yea pop the rad cap and watch for bubbles they will be combustion gases. What is the coolant like fresh or old??

Bigsexy
11-19-2010, 01:56 AM
retry ur thermostat..mayb its a faulty one.. or waterpump.. has to be one [cheers]

ktowner351
11-19-2010, 10:48 AM
just take your thermostat and test it in a pot of water with a cooking thermometer

ManDown
11-19-2010, 01:14 PM
just take your thermostat and test it in a pot of water with a cooking thermometer

agreed..

thrillbilly
11-19-2010, 03:53 PM
thermostat is brand new thats the first thing i replaced.

waterpump isnt new but the blades are all in tact (read up that the problem would be corroded or lack of blades?)

it has just water in it. it overheats so fast and spews rad contents out the overflow so quickly. if i start it, drive around the block (this was back in summer not now) it would be boiling hot by the time i park it again.

but it had good coolant in it before this all happened.

thrillbilly
11-19-2010, 03:54 PM
and its not just lack of power at operating temp, its once the needle reaches the hottest it can possibly get, the truck loses power so much that it will slow to zero then die out. and not start again till its cool.

i am located in langley

85chevy
11-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Take out the termotstat and run it without it see if it does the samething....

thrillbilly
11-19-2010, 05:44 PM
the waterpump housing/radiator/vaccuum lines/fuel lines/everything is disconnected. kinda had a 2nd wind on thinking if the motor was really dead or not.