PDA

View Full Version : tow points for a stock ford bumper???

ktowner351
11-15-2010, 02:22 PM
hey just looking for some ideas.. i need to put something on the front of my truck that i can hook onto..

WheelinCowgurl
11-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Way to be pessimistic...are you planning on getting stuck? I'll just ram you unstuck with my truck :P

ktowner351
11-15-2010, 04:33 PM
its the what ifs... and if i do get stuck i dont want to be sitting there helpless... i just wanna be prepared lol

BuckNaked
11-15-2010, 04:44 PM
uhhu see that big shiny piece of metal, cut somebig ugly holes in it where your mounts are and but some big ass hooks it it, otherwise get a different bumper
________
Vermont Dispensary (http://vermont.dispensaries.org/)

FU Toolbag
11-15-2010, 05:47 PM
build a real bumper.

ktowner351
11-15-2010, 05:56 PM
ive got a real bumper sitting in the barn, but the mounts are 2.5" out on either side. i was thinking of just adding onto it to make it fit but i dont know the first thing about metal fab..

FU Toolbag
11-15-2010, 05:58 PM
then bring it over here and I'll mount it for you.

Sultan Steve
11-16-2010, 07:40 AM
You shouldn't use your bumper ever for towing or recovery. You have 4 slotted openings in the frame rails behind the bumper to slide "T" hooks into.

ktowner351
11-16-2010, 09:48 AM
i think im aiming at the bush bumper in the barn just gotta see if we can make it work

fullsizebronco
11-16-2010, 08:06 PM
i think im aiming at the bush bumper in the barn just gotta see if we can make it work

have to see if you can make it work?

then bring it over here and I'll mount it for you.

is this not a good enough option lol ?

Mud Slinging Dumb Fawker
11-16-2010, 08:16 PM
just add a hidden hitch to the front[36] [36] [36] [36]

ktowner351
11-16-2010, 09:04 PM
have to see if you can make it work?

is this not a good enough option lol ?

were discussing it..

ktowner351
11-16-2010, 09:05 PM
just add a hidden hitch to the front[36] [36] [36] [36]

i seen one at pick your shit, it was like a flat bar attached to both leafs and then it had one of those flat bar hitch atachments in the middle but it looked like a hoaky setup

regulate34
11-28-2010, 05:27 PM
You shouldn't use your bumper ever for towing or recovery. You have 4 slotted openings in the frame rails behind the bumper to slide "T" hooks into.

your joking right?

jordanbennett
11-28-2010, 06:46 PM
i just drew this idea up, i did it on a truck before, worked great and looked good
http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/mm417/proskimjb/poop.jpg
a piece of like 2x4 flat bar 1'' think cut a square into your bumper slide this in bolt it to the side of the frame. you could even do that then put and cross member between frame rails to make to really strong, doesnt pull on your bumper and looks very sleek. just an idea[cheers]

ManDown
11-28-2010, 09:04 PM

ide like to see what that hole looks like after an 50000lb "unstucker" bumper to bumper pull out of a deep mud hole... just sayin'

ktowner351
11-28-2010, 11:56 PM
im not planning on putting it in any mud holes... just the odd smaller tug here or there if need be.... a just in case

rmiller026
11-29-2010, 08:40 AM
I like that tow hook idea but by the time u cut the holes In the bumper mark it all out ect ect just zip the bolts holding the bumper to the mounts pull the bumper off and attatch a peice of 2 x6 rec tubing down and weld a peice of metal with a 1 inch hole In it for a 3/4 shackle dude honestly if ur asking how to put tow hooks on ur truck u should just have toolbag do it for you and throw him something for his time that is probly the most basic mod to a 4x and if u don't kno how to go about doing that don't touch it because that shackle that came off ur truck cause u figured u knew what u were doing can easily take a life away just from a little tug when installed incorrectly

ktowner351
11-29-2010, 03:35 PM
i never once said i was a welder and im not gonna pretend to be so settle down..

rmiller026
11-29-2010, 03:44 PM
i never once said i was a welder and im not gonna pretend to be so settle down..

Well fuck do u kno how dumb it sounds to ask how to mount tow points on your truck like fuck I'm just cautioning u like if u want to do it cheep go to pa pick up 2 tow hooks with bolt holes in em drill them through the bottom side of ur frame and mount them with gr 8 hardware

FU Toolbag
11-29-2010, 04:00 PM
i just drew this idea up, i did it on a truck before, worked great and looked good
http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/mm417/proskimjb/poop.jpg
a piece of like 2x4 flat bar 1'' think cut a square into your bumper slide this in bolt it to the side of the frame. you could even do that then put and cross member between frame rails to make to really strong, doesnt pull on your bumper and looks very sleek. just an idea[cheers]

Looks pretty ghetto fab there.

We've chatted and nobody worry, I'll set him up good. Never lost a tow point or bumper mount. Ripped a few frames in half though....

I'm in the process of building one for one of my trucks right now. Might post up if I remember to take some pix.

BushWhackXJ
11-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Well fuck do u kno how dumb it sounds to ask how to mount tow points on your truck like fuck

hows this sound Rmiller. Sober up a little and then post again. Generally someone starts a thread asking a question because they arent confident in their idea. They ask a question because they want help and want to learn... not get cut down for it. As far as i know.... FIBC is here to help each other out. So take deep breath, and try it out.

rmiller026
11-29-2010, 04:48 PM
hows this sound Rmiller. Sober up a little and then post again. Generally someone starts a thread asking a question because they arent confident in their idea. They ask a question because they want help and want to learn... not get cut down for it. As far as i know.... FIBC is here to help each other out. So take deep breath, and try it out.

Witch I gave him berry good advice wich he took wrong thinking I was tryin 2 b a ass but was trying to warn some maby u guys should grow some thicker skin sober up and take a lil razzing

rmiller026
11-29-2010, 04:50 PM

We've chatted and nobody worry, I'll set him up good. Never lost a tow point or bumper mount. Ripped a few frames in half though....

I'm in the process of building one for one of my trucks right now. Might post up if I remember to take some pix.

Yea there's no worries there I've seen ur work u have some crazy ideas I like ur style

jordanbennett
11-29-2010, 06:07 PM

no getto fab here, very simple yet effective, you get to keep your stock bumper and lots of strength.:D :D

regulate34
11-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Witch I gave him berry good advice wich he took wrong thinking I was tryin 2 b a ass but was trying to warn some maby u guys should grow some thicker skin sober up and take a lil razzing

your just being a asshole
maby another idea for tow points would be helpful
i dont know you but maby you come across as a asshole all the time :dontknow:

ktowner351
11-29-2010, 10:12 PM
[iagree]

FU Toolbag
11-29-2010, 11:10 PM
no getto fab here, very simple yet effective, you get to keep your stock bumper and lots of strength.:D :D

Ah yeah, ghetto all the way there. Stock bumper, lots of strength, wtf are you talking about. If your gonna do something, don't piss around. and using a peice of 1/2 inch that's 2"x4" wouldn't give you anywhere near enough material for a tow point, extend through the bumper, and still be securely anchored. Not going to happen. I wouldn't even consider anything less than 6 inches in full contact with the frame. The idea of keeping the original bumper is just a waist of time. Unfortunately I've seen the other one he has. it would be good for knocking down trees and that's about it. The advantage of building a completely new one is a hell of a lot stronger than the 18ga. stamped tin thingy from the factory, as well as potential winch local and tow points as well as reinforcing the frame at it's weakest point.

Mud Slinging Dumb Fawker
11-29-2010, 11:30 PM
:fire :fire [kicknuts] [kicknuts] drama drama drama drama drama

ktowner351
11-29-2010, 11:36 PM
somebody pass me a beer and make room on the couch!

Punk in Drublic
11-29-2010, 11:45 PM
tonight, on as the bogger turns drama drama drama :D

jordanbennett
11-30-2010, 07:40 AM
Ah yeah, ghetto all the way there. Stock bumper, lots of strength, wtf are you talking about. If your gonna do something, don't piss around. and using a peice of 1/2 inch that's 2"x4" wouldn't give you anywhere near enough material for a tow point, extend through the bumper, and still be securely anchored. Not going to happen. I wouldn't even consider anything less than 6 inches in full contact with the frame. The idea of keeping the original bumper is just a waist of time. Unfortunately I've seen the other one he has. it would be good for knocking down trees and that's about it. The advantage of building a completely new one is a hell of a lot stronger than the 18ga. stamped tin thingy from the factory, as well as potential winch local and tow points as well as reinforcing the frame at it's weakest point.
haha well as i said before, i peice of 2x4 flat steel 1 INCH think and as long as you want and as many bolts mounting it as you want would be plenty. make some thing alreay![36]

rmiller026
11-30-2010, 06:15 PM
I have to say I'm with toolbag a new bumpers the way to go and the rest of u can go fuck urselves I gave this guy some ideas witch he threw down saying I'm a ass this is simple fucking kiddy shit but as I said it Is not to be taken lightly recovory is very dangerouse even when using all prventative methods do u remember what happened at stave a while ago when one of the members being a nice guy went to pull a guy out of a hole and a d ring went through the back window and hit the guy in the head I'm sorry but when u ask stupid shit like what u did and say I just want it strong enough for a light tug that's dumb as shit when u put tow points on a truck no matter how light the pulls u get are they should be built to have a tug from a fucking tank so if I sound like I'm an ass maby I should be to prevent dumb fucks from bolting projectiles to there truck to wreck other peoples lives just my 2 cents and if you don't like it to fucking bad

rmiller026
11-30-2010, 06:15 PM
I have to say I'm with toolbag a new bumpers the way to go and the rest of u can go fuck urselves I gave this guy some ideas witch he threw down saying I'm a ass this is simple fucking kiddy shit but as I said it Is not to be taken lightly recovory is very dangerouse even when using all prventative methods do u remember what happened at stave a while ago when one of the members being a nice guy went to pull a guy out of a hole and a d ring went through the back window and hit the guy in the head I'm sorry but when u ask stupid shit like what u did and say I just want it strong enough for a light tug that's dumb as shit when u put tow points on a truck no matter how light the pulls u get are they should be built to have a tug from a fucking tank so if I sound like I'm an ass maby I should be to prevent dumb fucks from bolting projectiles to there truck to wreck other peoples lives just my 2 cents and if you don't like it to fucking bad

4skin
11-30-2010, 07:00 PM
wow the drama continues
the guys are right about having solid tow points
guy i worked with towing was doing a recovery
he couldnt get it was packing gear up
the kids buddy tried tuging it with a strap around a pos tube in a pos bush bar
tube came out smashing alls lower leg
he wasnt in line of pull got fucked by compo cant walk properly 4 years later
was active hunter and a fireman in mission
prety much changed his life forever

rmiller026
11-30-2010, 07:04 PM
wow the drama continues
the guys are right about having solid tow points
guy i worked with towing was doing a recovery
he couldnt get it was packing gear up
the kids buddy tried tuging it with a strap around a pos tube in a pos bush bar
tube came out smashing alls lower leg
he wasnt in line of pull got fucked by compo cant walk properly 4 years later
was active hunter and a fireman in mission
prety much changed his life forever

Exactly but I'm a fucking asshole for stressing my point

jordanbennett
11-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Exactly but I'm a fucking asshole for stressing my point
yeah big bulley:D

FU Toolbag
11-30-2010, 09:30 PM
haha well as i said before, i peice of 2x4 flat steel 1 INCH think and as long as you want and as many bolts mounting it as you want would be plenty. make some thing alreay![36]

WTF are you saying? 2x4x1x infinitum? Have we entered the 4th dimension here and I missed the boat?

I think I know what your saying, and it's still wrong. I've seen many people use 1" plate as tow points and then attach them to nothing, or with nothing. I've seen a couple where they use a piece of 2x6 hss with some very nice lugs welded on the front. They attached to nothing but the hss. After a pull the 2x6 turned into 3x4 where the lugs were, I emphasize WERE.

thicker is better, but good design trumps it every time.

ktowner351
11-30-2010, 10:18 PM
hey just looking for some !!IDEAS!!.. i need to put something on the front of my truck that i can hook onto..

take your panties out of a knot, i was just looking to see whats out there.. have i gone and built some chicken shat build and not asked for any help..? NO so relax, im not a complete retard or else you would see some bird crap on my bumper with a shackle hooked onto it!

jordanbennett
11-30-2010, 10:20 PM
WTF are you saying? 2x4x1x infinitum? Have we entered the 4th dimension here and I missed the boat?

I think I know what your saying, and it's still wrong. I've seen many people use 1" plate as tow points and then attach them to nothing, or with nothing. I've seen a couple where they use a piece of 2x6 hss with some very nice lugs welded on the front. They attached to nothing but the hss. After a pull the 2x6 turned into 3x4 where the lugs were, I emphasize WERE.

thicker is better, but good design trumps it every time.

yeah i see whatcha getting at , i think i see it better in head than paper forsure!oh yeah

regulate34
12-01-2010, 07:42 AM
maby u guys should grow some thicker skin sober up and take a lil razzing

:welcome: