PDA

View Full Version : How to get more flex?

Mattster
11-14-2010, 03:10 PM
My buddy has an 89 Toyota extended cab p/u. Stock suspension but still sits pretty high. Had it out wheelin a couple times, does ok but has very little flex. I guess i'm used to my Jeep where I can undo the sway bar and gain lots of movement. Whats the easiest way to get these things to flex and articulate more?

UU
11-14-2010, 03:33 PM
sell it and buy a Jeep

:dontknow: just sayin'

homeboy
11-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Do a solid axle swap for starters, rears up front ( do believe the ifs truck rear springs are longer or shorter then solid axle rears) 63 chevys or a custom leaf pack in the rear.

or better yet coil suspension in the rear.

even the 3 inch trail gear ifs elim kit isn't bad, better then ifs

Mattster
11-14-2010, 04:11 PM
sell it and buy a Jeep

He just rebuilt the engine and put a new clutch into it. Runs mint with no problems. Selling isn't really an option.

BuckNaked
11-14-2010, 04:35 PM
He just rebuilt the engine and put a new clutch into it. Runs mint with no problems. Selling isn't really an option.

Sell it, buy a jeep and a couple cases of beer:party0010:
________
IOLITE (http://vaporizer.org/portable)

Trailjunkie
11-14-2010, 04:36 PM
sell it and buy a Jeep

agreed
Selling isn't really an option.

its the only option

Mattster
11-14-2010, 04:56 PM
agreed

its the only option
Well being that i'm a Jeep guy I agree with you guys [cheers] . He doesn't however lol

TWOZEROFOUR
11-14-2010, 05:34 PM
big tires, 4 psi

offroadordrift
11-14-2010, 05:52 PM
My buddy has an 89 Toyota extended cab p/u. Stock suspension but still sits pretty high. Had it out wheelin a couple times, does ok but has very little flex. I guess i'm used to my Jeep where I can undo the sway bar and gain lots of movement. Whats the easiest way to get these things to flex and articulate more?

there is no easy way...

4skin
11-14-2010, 06:06 PM
did a bunch of stuff to mine trying to get ifs to flex
bang your head against a wall you will get further
gained 2 inches of travel then it ripped upper controll arm mount out of frame
the tral gear ifs elimination kit is very complete and cheeper than buying parts individualy
cost me 300 bucks more than the kit just saying

Mattster
11-14-2010, 06:07 PM
there is no easy way...
I gathered that lol

Jayota
11-15-2010, 03:30 PM
toss the sway bar, throw in bj spacers and 63" rear chevies.

Unless you wanna throw more $$ around...

lock it and it will get you where you need to go. When it won't do that anymore, save up a few grand and tear everything out!

youngun
11-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Longer rear shocks and a bit longer shackle in the rear will really help the ride and flex. Pull out the overload spring and lengthen your shackle to make up for the little bit of height you will loose. Will ride better and flex better without spending much for money. The front your only option is ball joint spacers and then de-crank your torsion bars, you will end up with maybe an inch more lift and alot softer ride then stock.

kamloopsyota
11-16-2010, 10:08 AM
you're basically limited to your flex cause ifs sucks ass and i think the cv shaft is what limits the amount you can travel. when i was rockin my old 89 i swapped out the rears and put in chevy 63" springs or you could use some s-10 or newer 06+ tacoma springs. i hated the sway bar but also liked the idea of less body roll so fabbed up some quick disconnects. all that for under $100 and then whatever new tires cost back then. yo';re fighting an uphill battle with ifs

youngun
11-16-2010, 10:22 AM
If you wanna chat about doing something like what i said give me a text 8O1.O411 and you can come over and talk about it

Metal Mulisha
11-16-2010, 02:14 PM
did a bunch of stuff to mine trying to get ifs to flex
bang your head against a wall you will get further
gained 2 inches of travel then it ripped upper controll arm mount out of frame
the tral gear ifs elimination kit is very complete and cheeper than buying parts individualy
cost me 300 bucks more than the kit just saying

Tell me about it oh yeah SAS only way to go.

Mattster
11-16-2010, 06:47 PM
If you wanna chat about doing something like what i said give me a text 8O1.O411 and you can come over and talk about it
I'll give him your number.

Mud Slinging Dumb Fawker
11-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Sell it, buy a jeep and a couple cases of beer:party0010:

ya and drink the beer before u buy the jeep..... it will help with the pain

Mattster
11-17-2010, 08:12 AM
ya and drink the beer before u buy the jeep..... it will help with the pain
Ya help the eaze the pain of realizing he should have bought a Jeep sooner :p

d0ubledown
11-17-2010, 09:00 AM
flex isn't the be all end all. stock ifs suspension? my wifes sienna has stock suspension... how do I get more flex?!?

here's a tip- why not change out the stock suspension? sure you can go with a jeep, but then you'll have to change the both front n rear axles ...tcase, AND the suspension. plus live with the ridicule of driving a jeep.

a stock suspended vehicle with lockers will go much further than a truck with flexy flexy suspension and open diffs... just sayin.

sas is not needed. just a good lift, moderately bigger tires, maybe a rear Aussie locker. the rest is all driver. just this past weekend I saw a stock fj cruiser on street tires with ifs outwheel modded trucks. my ifs runner did everything a full bodied sas'd truck did...but then again it was locked front and back and I wasn't a complete idiot in wheeling it.

Mattster
11-18-2010, 08:15 AM
flex isn't the be all end all. stock ifs
suspension? my wifes sienna has stock suspension... how do I get more
flex?!?

Sell it and buy a Jeep

here's a tip- why not change out the stock suspension? sure you can go with a
jeep, but then you'll have to change the both front n rear axles ...tcase, AND
the suspension. plus live with the ridicule of driving a jeep.

Suspension will happen at some point. The point of this thread is to find out tips and ideas before and after suspension
In defence of Jeeps, I haven't changed my axles nor have I broken a shaft. Why would you need to change the T-case, mine has been bullet proof.

a stock suspended vehicle with lockers will go much further than a truck with
flexy flexy suspension and open diffs... just sayin.

This is incorrect. I've wheeled with many guys that due to a lack of flex could not crawl the same stuff I did in my Jeep. Hence the reason of my friend looking for more flex.

sas is not needed. just a good lift, moderately bigger tires, maybe a rear Aussie locker. the rest is all driver. just this past weekend I saw a stock fj cruiser on street tires with ifs outwheel modded trucks. my ifs runner did everything a full bodied sas'd truck did...but then again it was locked front and back and I wasn't a complete idiot in wheeling it.
If this were true then why do all the Toyota guys swap in Solid front axles? They don't do it because they're bored. They do it because IFS sucks and tires & lift isn't good enough.

Jayota
11-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Most guys end up gearing and locking their diffs when they do a SAS, then they think.. oh wow this thing is 100000x better then with that shitty ifs.

If only they locked their diffs and learned to drive... meh

dirka dave
11-22-2010, 02:38 PM
I have "shitty IFS", I still have fun.

Jayota
11-23-2010, 07:58 PM
it rides nice.. :D

dirka dave
11-24-2010, 05:32 AM
Here is my "shitty IFS"...

Jayota
12-13-2010, 08:44 PM
hmm.. ifs must not like dumb drivers?? :D :D jk jk

Casselman
12-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Omg it left the logging road!

4skin
12-13-2010, 11:24 PM
Omg it left the logging road!
it slid off the road

4skin
12-13-2010, 11:37 PM
Most guys end up gearing and locking their diffs when they do a SAS, then they think.. oh wow this thing is 100000x better then with that shitty ifs.

If only they locked their diffs and learned to drive... meh
when i did mine it was welded front and back 410gears
did sas same gear ratio open front
was huge improvement in ride and off road was way more stable
even though it was 5 inches taller
and on same tires and wheels
i did do a doubler at same time
what im saying is dont waste time and money lifting ifs when sas will cost the same to do[cheers]

Jayota
12-16-2010, 03:49 PM
Thats cool, glad your route worked out well for you. I take it you're more into crawling??

I'd honestly like to see what SAS money thrown at IFS (properly) would get you.
Not just your run of the mill bracket lift or t-bar crank..

Like longer rear leafs and long travel front a-arms, along with some beefy home made tie rods, stockers dont seem to last. All done out, I think it'd be pretty dang fun..

I am more into going fast. Need to build a 2nd gen for crawling :)

and I betcha that doubler made a world of difference!!! I am jealous..

arjan
12-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Get more flex, install a mid eighties chevy frame.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3217/2829167073_de699f7210.jpg?v=0

Troy
12-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Thats cool, glad your route worked out well for you. I take it you're more into crawling??

I'd honestly like to see what SAS money thrown at IFS (properly) would get you.
Not just your run of the mill bracket lift or t-bar crank..

Like longer rear leafs and long travel front a-arms, along with some beefy home made tie rods, stockers dont seem to last. All done out, I think it'd be pretty dang fun..

theres not much aftermarket support for toyota IFS , i think thats the problem. it would have to be custom made which would end up costing more than a straight axle swap anyways and have to to be fine tuned which would cost more money and time. theres usually pretty good reasons why most of the people who 4 wheel do certain mods to their rigs. other than the fact that they have seen it on tv or in a magazine, know what im sayin?

kamloopsyota
12-17-2010, 12:01 AM
[quote=Troy;1545428]theres not much aftermarket support for toyota IFS , i think thats the problem. it would have to be custom made which would end up costing more than a straight axle swap anyways and have to to be fine tuned which would cost more money and time.[quote]

you obviously have never seen total chaos stuff then

youngun
12-17-2010, 12:10 AM
the blazeland kit would be something to look into if you want to improve the ifs with a affordable long arm setup

Troy
12-20-2010, 09:48 PM
the straight axles can be built stronger though

do they even sell upgraded ifs shafts? either way your still running torsion bars

youngun
12-21-2010, 10:25 AM
yeah, rcv i belive it making a IFS cv that claims it will be as strong as a 30 spline longfeild. Im sure i red that somewhere.

Jayota
12-21-2010, 02:25 PM
theres not much aftermarket support for toyota IFS , i think thats the problem. it would have to be custom made which would end up costing more than a straight axle swap anyways and have to to be fine tuned which would cost more money and time. theres usually pretty good reasons why most of the people who 4 wheel do certain mods to their rigs. other than the fact that they have seen it on tv or in a magazine, know what im sayin?

Take a peek at total chaos. Their gen ll caddy kit is pretty nice.

http://www.chaosfab.com/95200.php

homeboy
12-21-2010, 04:21 PM
the straight axles can be built stronger though

do they even sell upgraded ifs shafts? either way your still running torsion bars

RCV makes a wicked shaft but you have to pay big money for it.

Make the decision now are you building a pre runner or truck that plans on ending up driving over rocks the size of cars?

pre runner, keep the ifs and upgrade the suspension components and shafts

or

bush truck / rock crawler you plan to beat the shit out of, go with a solid front axle it will take more abuse and has more overall aftermarket support. ounce the suspension changes have been made you can change to a larger front axle of your choice if a toyota axle no longer takes your abuse or if you go into buggy / f toy mode :D

youngun
12-24-2010, 06:12 PM
[stupid] Very well put

Griswold
12-25-2010, 07:31 AM
Ya....That's where I'm at now, done as much as I could to get more flex........Now it's time for SAing it.
I aint sinkin any more money into IFS.....

youngun
12-25-2010, 09:00 AM
I have a daily driver/fsr wheelin rig and I was going to SAS it but never bothered, it would be pointless to me. I put in a lift and am just going to slowly upgrading parts as they brake to make it good for fsr/light wheelin and crusing the streets. I have other trucks for crazy wheelin with chances of rolling and what not.

Jayota
12-28-2010, 01:47 PM
I like my 91 to go fast and smooth. That truck holds a sentimental value to it and I havnt gotten to the point that I feel good beating on it..

I'd love to find a 2nd gen pickup to turn into a Solid axle swapped crawler to beat on the rocks with.