PDA

View Full Version : 02 Superduty rearend

longhorn
11-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Anyone know how hard or how expensive it is to fix a 02 Superduty rearend?

Its got slop in the pinion and yoke plus is howling and making a grinding noise.

Good place or ideas for parts?

crazylike
11-11-2010, 06:07 AM
if its howling your very low on oil if it grinding your gears are breaking or the bearing behind the pinion is badly damaged which if it scores the lip then your gonna have sealing problems.

easier to change the rear end. cheaper to. they want 1500 to have a set of gears set up. i paid 300 for a rear diff and a couple hundred to rebuild it and took me 4 hours to change em out.

blacker_69
11-11-2010, 02:10 PM
easier to change out? what if its only a few bearings? the usual culprit on these is pinion bearings loosen up and then the pinion drops into the carrier. a simple re-bearing is an easy weekend job if your somewhat proficient. if not find a good driveline shop to do this for you. pm me and give me the details and i can prob help you out

longhorn
11-11-2010, 03:34 PM
easier to change out? what if its only a few bearings? the usual culprit on these is pinion bearings loosen up and then the pinion drops into the carrier. a simple re-bearing is an easy weekend job if your somewhat proficient. if not find a good driveline shop to do this for you. pm me and give me the details and i can prob help you out

Thanks for the help offer.
ive got a guy that probably can do it , but I was wondering whether to change the whole thing or just the guts?
Cost and amount of work vs ?

blacker_69
11-17-2010, 11:13 AM
most likely just pinion bearings and side bearings, you can do new clutch packs if your locker is weak but usually dont worry bout it.